Windows 10: Can access some user files after reloading Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Can access some user files after reloading Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just reloaded Win 10 on a new SSD drive, but after that, I can't read some of the old user files, saying that I have no access rights. Some allow me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ffrree, Apr 3, 2016.

1. ffrree Win User

Can access some user files after reloading Windows 10 Pro

I just reloaded Win 10 on a new SSD drive, but after that, I can't read some of the old user files, saying that I have no access rights. Some allow me to go through after I clicked "continue as Adminstrator", but a couple just won't

The files are ok, and readable when I rebooted on the old Win 10.

Please help.

:)

ffrree, Apr 3, 2016

2. Recipe Keeper Pro

I had to reload Windows 10 on my PC. During that process my Recipe Keeper Pro was removed. How do I reinstall it? Where do I access the file to do this?

SharonBricker, Apr 3, 2016
  3. DonMahony Win User
    All Microsoft Apps and Functions Not Working

Hi Greg,

I reloaded Windows 10 using the media creation tool, keeping my old files and apps. Now I cannot log into my account. I get this message "User profile service service failed the sign-in user profile cannot be loaded." I can, however, access a second user
    account which will connect to the store appears to be fully functional. Is there some way I can have this other account my docs and apps?

Thanks

DonMahony, Apr 3, 2016
  4. VBS
    VBs Win User

5. ffrree Win User
    Thanks, following that, I manage to get hold of the top level folder, but none of the sub-folders even though I ask for the ownership change to be rippled through, and there are like a hundred different subfolders at different level. For the one I tried, when I reached the file level, I don't seem to change the file permission.

Looks like it is going to be a long process.

Any other ideas.

ffrree, Apr 3, 2016
  6. ffrree Win User
    Perhaps if there is a way to relinquish ownership by the previous owner, if I switch back to the other Win 10 on the system?

ffrree, Apr 3, 2016
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

This should solve it all in one go:

Download and install this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=23510

Then copy this into notepad and save as a .bat (batch) file. Right click that and run as administrator. Make sure you have administrator rights when logged on.

@echo off
    title Resetting ACLs...
    cd /d "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
    echo.
    echo Resetting ACLs...
    echo (this may take several minutes to complete)
    echo.
    echo ==========================================================================
    echo.
    echo System Drive...
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    echo.
    echo.
    echo Windows Directory...
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    echo.
    echo.
    echo ==========================================================================
    echo.
    echo FINISHED.
    echo.
    echo Press any key to exit . . .
    pause >NUL

When all that is done you should be able to access your files in the usual way. You can uninstall subinacl.msi afterwards if you like.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 3, 2016
  8. ffrree Win User

Thanks a lot. You know what, after what I said yesterday, today, after starting up the system, everything comes good. Windows do behave in a funny way, at least not something that I understand.

Thanks for your efforts, I shall try it when I hit the next batch of folders that are having the same problem. Do I run this under the original Wind 10 or the newly installed Win10?

cheers

ffrree, Apr 4, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

You run it on the system that causes these troubles.

Good to see it seems to have "cured" itself though.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can access some user files after reloading Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - access user files

2. How can I reload Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I reload Windows 10?: I upgraded to Windows 11 but cannot play my computer games. How can I reinstall Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-reload-windows-10/ed296f82-3d0c-447d-a898-74e29e1a9884
  3. How can I reload Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I reload Windows 10?: I upgraded to Windows 11 but cannot play my computer games. How can I reinstall Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-reload-windows-10/ed296f82-3d0c-447d-a898-74e29e1a9884
  4. How can I reload Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

in Windows 10 Customization
    Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done: Is there any way to block a user from accessing the files of the main account in Win10?I have gone to security to find the other user's account to block, but I can't find it. Have tried adding it, but no where to be found.thanks...
  6. Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done: Is there any way to block a user from accessing the files of the main account in Win10?I have gone to security to find the other user's account to block, but I can't find it. Have tried adding it, but no where to be found.thanks...
  7. Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can not access my User profile or files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can not access my User profile or files: i first recieved a login error and Windows assigned a Temp Acct. i followed steps to delete the temp and rename the .bak file however, now i can only log in as Administrator. I have run this in Safe Mode too. I have scanned from a sfc file. If i could access my documents just...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Block user access to settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Pro Block user access to settings: We are a small school with a number of laptops running Windows 10 Professional for Student use. Each of these Student Computers has an Admin User login and a Student User login. The Student User on each is a local account (i.e. not Administrator). Students borrow laptops...
  10. Windows 10 Pro can't access user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Pro can't access user account: Hello, I hope someone can help, I booted up my PC today and it won't complete the log in process, I get to the log in, enter my password, hit enter and it just sits there with my user name and welcome with the little dots spinning around. I have 3 other unused accounts on...