Windows 10: can admins take ownership of an file that...

Discus and support can admins take ownership of an file that... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; can admins take ownership of an file that has an explicit "DENY" entry for the group "Administrators". i made an file that i set that only i could... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by leon_675, Nov 20, 2020.

1. leon_675 Win User

can admins take ownership of an file that...

can admins take ownership of an file that has an explicit "DENY" entry for the group "Administrators".

i made an file that i set that only i could access or change...

can a admin bypass the "DENY" entry that's supposed to block them from taking ownership or editing the file while windows is running?

:)

leon_675, Nov 20, 2020
  2. xBruce88x Win User

file permissions/ownership troubles

a while back my main user account got corrupted somehow and the only way to get to my files was to take ownership of them in my other admin account. but now i'm stuck with having to retake ownership of these files every time i try to access it from another computer or user account, which makes sharing multimedia to my xbox 360 impossible. is there a way to just remove all of these permission settings back to normal? its REALLY getting frustrating with the access denied crap, its even interfering with some .msi install files. *Mad can admins take ownership of an file that... :mad:*Cry :cry:

this also puts my new computer build on hold since i need to transfer the files but i'm stuck with the ownership crap

edit: btw its on windows xp pro sp3

xBruce88x, Nov 20, 2020
  3. Scooze__ Win User
    File Ownership, and Permissions

So, I've thoroughly messed up some files on my pc somehow, as I have what appears to be "Full Control" and "Ownership" of the files.

The problem however is that even though these things seem to be true, I'm still met with a message suggesting I need permission from a user that technically doesn't exist anymore. These are Windows.old files after I performed a recovery of the system.
    They are taking up a massive chunk of my OS drive, and I want that space.

I've done everything I know to do to take ownership, and subsequently add all the permissions to the files that I need. Beyond that I removed every other credential so that my primary account (which is also an administrator) would be the only one with full
    control of the files (System, admins as a group, and the account itself all have "Full Control" listed.)

Does anyone know why these ghost permissions are still in effect, and how I could remove it? This account it's saying I need permission from is NOT listed on any of it's permissions. Besides, the account literally doesn't exist anymore.

Help?

Scooze__, Nov 20, 2020
  4. can admins take ownership of an file that...

Ownership Issues

that will not hurt taking ownership, but I would also then look in the list of users on the ownership page and make sure your user account name is there with full permissions. Probably not.

even though you take ownership of an item, you may not be in the list of users with permissions.

first select disable inheritance, then select "ADD" in the list of users, and add your user account the same way you took ownership and select full permissions.

Then administrators may only have select permissions in the list. so after you disable inheritance, delete admins user. then select add again and select admins in the list and select full permissions

restart pc

seahawks65, Nov 20, 2020
Thema:

can admins take ownership of an file that...

1. can admins take ownership of an file that... - Similar Threads - admins ownership file

2. "Take ownership" vs "Run as Admin"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Take ownership" vs "Run as Admin": Hi I'm working with a windows 10 system, but recently I found right clicking some of my files does not have "Run as Admin" option, instead it says "take ownership" I wonder what's wrong with this...
  3. "Take ownership" vs "Run as Admin"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Take ownership" vs "Run as Admin": Hi I'm working with a windows 10 system, but recently I found right clicking some of my files does not have "Run as Admin" option, instead it says "take ownership" I wonder what's wrong with this...
  4. "Take ownership" vs "Run as Admin"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot take ownership of a file

Cannot take ownership of a file: Hi, I am trying to take ownership of a file with no current owner and tried to take ownership as the administrator, but no matter what I do, the it keeps "no current owner" in its properties. I have tried to change the ownership by "Replacing all child object permission...
  6. Taking ownership of a file as the administrator

Taking ownership of a file as the administrator: I am moving files from my old computer to my new computer and Adobe files will not copy. They need administrator permission. Currently the only person allowed on the new computer is the administrator. What to I have to do to change the ownership in Properties>Security?...
  7. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  8. Taking ownership of a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking ownership of a file: Some time ago a had file that required only one click to take ownership of another file. I would just right click on the file I was interested in and select "take ownership." It would then make a change in the registry and give me addess to that file. Does anyone here know...
  9. Take Ownership folders and files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  10. Take Ownership folders and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...