Windows 10: Can an OEM licensed Windows 10 be used in a VM?

Discus and support Can an OEM licensed Windows 10 be used in a VM? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; If I were to uninstall Windows 10 from my system and then install it in a VM [on the same system] , will it work, considering that my license type is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tottapataka, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Can an OEM licensed Windows 10 be used in a VM?

If I were to uninstall Windows 10 from my system and then install it in a VM [on the same system] , will it work, considering that my license type is OEM? The solutions online are very obscure and I'd like to know personally.

1. Is this possible? That is, will Windows 10 activate in the VM?

2. Is it feasible?

:)

tottapataka, Apr 17, 2020
  2. Martmcd Win User

OEM license and VM activation

sorry, i wasn't clear

the host is the pc you have the VMs on, so the option was to leave windows 10 OEM on the laptop (as purchased) and put Ubuntu in a VM.

each device running windows 10 will need it's own license, if you are wanting two windows 10 VMs you will need two licenses.

Martmcd, Apr 17, 2020
  3. Pat_BBE Win User
    VM Licenses

I'm using a Dell PC with a factory installed OEM version of Windows 10 Pro.

My work requires me to use program editing software from many different vendors, these software titles often don't work well and can cause issue with the PC they are installed on. My thought is to isolate them by using VMs with the software for each vendor
    installed on it's own VM - isolated from my Host and the other VMs I would use for other editors.

My new PC with Win10 OEM would be the host. Only 1 VM would be used on the host at a time but there would be as many as 10 different VMs I could run on the host.

Can I copy my host OS to the VM with my OEM license?

If I can't, and I need a new license for the VMs can I use 1 license for the multiple VMs?

Is there an upgrade from OEM to FPP ?

Pat

Pat_BBE, Apr 17, 2020
  4. neilpzz Win User

Can an OEM licensed Windows 10 be used in a VM?

Reusing an OEM Windows license in a VM

You can't transfer the OEM license that is for your Lenovo to a VM.

neilpzz, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

Can an OEM licensed Windows 10 be used in a VM?

1. Can an OEM licensed Windows 10 be used in a VM? - Similar Threads - OEM licensed used

2. Windows OEM license Re-use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows OEM license Re-use: Hi , I brought a new laptop today , which has got Windows 11 and is OEM licenses.How can i save this copy of windows so that in case in future if i format this laptop, a genuine Windows is installed?or how i can re-use this license on same laptop in case i format it in...
  3. Windows OEM license Re-use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows OEM license Re-use: Hi , I brought a new laptop today , which has got Windows 11 and is OEM licenses.How can i save this copy of windows so that in case in future if i format this laptop, a genuine Windows is installed?or how i can re-use this license on same laptop in case i format it in...
  4. Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?: I currently have a Linux distro on my PC, and I want to install windowsI used to have Windows as my main os on it.Just wanted to ask if there is any way to tie the oem license to the vm?If not, is there something else I can do without the risk of losing the ability to use...
  5. Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?: I currently have a Linux distro on my PC, and I want to install windowsI used to have Windows as my main os on it.Just wanted to ask if there is any way to tie the oem license to the vm?If not, is there something else I can do without the risk of losing the ability to use...
  6. Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Reclaim OEM installed Windows 10 license and use in VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reclaim OEM installed Windows 10 license and use in VM: I've received a laptop from my employer. We work on GNU/Linux system and now the need to have a windows VM arised as one of the tools is only available on windows. Is it possible to reclaim the original license? I have the product key but a new installation says that it's...
  8. Reactivating windows using OEM license

Reactivating windows using OEM license: Alright so my laptop has OEM license , I need to format the pc now but im afraid of losing the license if after the format. I just need to know can I reactivate my laptop after the format using the product key i have when i got the license ? If so i would like to know how...
  9. using legitimate windows oem license

using legitimate windows oem license: I built a custom Pc couple of years ago, and the seller installed a windows 10 enterprise on my Pc. for the past year windows been asking me to activate it, which I could not think it is a pirated copy. now I bought a genuine OEM windows pro 64 license with CD. When I...
  10. OEM license and VM activation

OEM license and VM activation: I am about to buy a Dell laptop, which unfortunatelly has Win10 pro pre-installed. I actually need Ubuntu, but at this time only the laptop version with Windows preinstalled is available. I will have to reinstall Ubuntu on top, but, in long term, I will have windows running...