Windows 10: Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?

Discus and support Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi. I had an old Packard Bell Hera-C laptop sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe unused for nearly 13 years, but am in a situation where I need to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Gareth_511, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?

Hi. I had an old Packard Bell Hera-C laptop sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe unused for nearly 13 years, but am in a situation where I need to use the built-in webcam and microphone, which I don't have on my PC. Rather than buy a new laptop, I was wondering if I could clean install a comparable Windows 7 OS? Windows Vista Home Basic -> Windows 7 Home Basic? I see from other questions here that an upgrade to Windows 10 is completely out of the questions for an older laptop with 1G of RAM, but could I get a few more years out of PB Hera-C if I purchased a Windows 7 installer disc fro

:)

Gareth_511, Oct 13, 2021

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Oct 13, 2021
  3. No More Clean-Installs for Vista Upgrades

When users were upgrading to Windows XP, the procedure was that users could simply insert their old Windows 98 or Windows 2000 CD at the appropriate time during a clean install without the need for the old OS to be installed at the time. However, Microsoft has decided to change this for Vista, and now requires a fully installed and activated version of your old OS already on the machine. This comes as an attempt to prevent illegal use of upgrade CDs, but could be inconvenient and time consuming when the time comes to reinstall. The new procedure for a reinstall is as follows:
    • Install your old copy of Windows XP
    • Activate it either online or over the phone
    • Install Vista
    Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Oct 13, 2021
  4. Wile E Win User

Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?

Windows Vista Clean Installation

To do a clean install on a fresh hard drive with Vista on an upgrade disc, you have to follow certain steps. Buying a full install CD would've been easier, but using the upgrade disc only adds more time, so it's not that big of a deal.

Follow the instructions here to do a clean install with an upgrade disc: Perform a Clean Install with a Vista Upgrade Disc - Windows Vista Tips / Tricks /Tutorials | Vista Rewired

Wile E, Oct 13, 2021
Thema:

Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?

1. Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install? - Similar Threads - old Vista laptop

2. What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?: I have this old Windows Xp era laptop and have Windows 7 installed but its really slow, so I was wondering if Windows Vista being older runs faster than 7....
  3. What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What runs better on an old laptop? Windows 7 or Windows Vista?: I have this old Windows Xp era laptop and have Windows 7 installed but its really slow, so I was wondering if Windows Vista being older runs faster than 7....
  4. Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?: Hi. I had an old Packard Bell Hera-C laptop sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe unused for nearly 13 years, but am in a situation where I need to use the built-in webcam and microphone, which I don't have on my PC. Rather than buy a new laptop, I was wondering if I could...
  5. Old vista laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old vista laptop: So I was given an old windows vista laptop that supposedly is in good condition. Unfortunately, they could not remember the password and I haven't been able to get logged in. If I were to buy windows 10 installation, would it wipe it clean with an install so I can start over....
  6. Upgrade Old Slow Windows 7 Laptop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade Old Slow Windows 7 Laptop?: I currently use a windows 10 pro dell xps 15 9550 laptop. This is my main laptop. I just did a windows 7 to windows 10 update on an old dell desktop that i have not used in a long time. Its just sitting there so i figure i update it anyways if i use it in the future. A...
  7. Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop: I have recently purchased 2 Windows 10 desktops and also have a Toshiba Satellite P300-1FN. Because of security fears on the Toshiba, I downloaded and clean installed Windows 10 Home. I wanted to first check that the Toshiba would be OK with Windows 10, so I did not buy an...
  8. Can Window Vista Upgrade To Windows 10

Can Window Vista Upgrade To Windows 10: Hi, I have a computer with Windows Vista Home Premium installed. I wanted to know if i could upgrade it to Windows 7 or Windows 10 for free. Thank You....
  9. Upgrade a vista laptop with new install

Upgrade a vista laptop with new install: I have an older vaio laptop that runs vista but I it is not listed on the sony website to have been tested with 10. Is there a way to manually run the compatibility tool to see if I would have problems with installing 10 on it. I know I can't do an upgrade but thought I might...
  10. Best path for Windows 7 upgrade to 10, from old hardrive to Vista PC?

Best path for Windows 7 upgrade to 10, from old hardrive to Vista PC?: Hey guys! I have a bit of an odd situation on my hands! Long story short, I have an old Windows Vista PC desktop that currently runs my wonderful soundcard that I use to convert and edit some audio. It's been down for a few years due to a graphics card problem, but I'm...