Windows 10: Can anyone help me get Windows 10 bootable again after formatting my EFI partition?

Discus and support Can anyone help me get Windows 10 bootable again after formatting my EFI partition? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello guys, I'm going to try and explain this in as much detail as possible in hopes that one of you kind souls out there will be able to help me out.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/richbordoni, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Can anyone help me get Windows 10 bootable again after formatting my EFI partition?

Hello guys, I'm going to try and explain this in as much detail as possible in hopes that one of you kind souls out there will be able to help me out.

|-----Here is my hardware information:

I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 tablet and it's running W10 Enterprise 2004 (Slow Ring). It only has one drive, an SSD (Micron M600).

My Boot Sequence in my BIOS is listed as:

# Name
    1 Android-x86 9.0-r2
    2 Windows Boot Manager
    3 UEFI: Micron_M600_[bunch of letters and numbers]

My Boot List Option is set to UEFI (not Legacy) and Secure Boot is OFF. Not sure if this helps or not, but if I click the View button in the Boot List Option area it pops up a window and lists Windows Boot Manager with a filename of:

\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

and Android-x86 9.0-r2 with a filename of:

\efi\Android\BOOTx64.EFI

Both give a File System List of:

HD(2,GPT,[lots of letters and numbers])

Under Advanced Boot Options, Enable Legacy Option ROMs is checked.

I think I should also mention that various partition manager programs listed my SSD as GPT.

|-----Some backstory and the problem:

I've experimented with running other OSs in the past, but always from a live CD(/live USB) because setting up multiboot has always seemed a bit complicated to me, and easy to mess up in a way that will cause a huge headache (as it did). But I was feeling adventurous last night and after having run Android x86 off of a live USB in the past, I wanted to try permanently installing it on my HD and setting up multi-boot with Windows.

I used a partition manager program to shrink my main Windows install partition down by 16GB and left the space unallocated. Then I created a bootable USB stick with the Android x86 ISO and Rufus. I booted into it under Legacy mode rather than UEFI mode (which I later realized was my mistake) and I used the "cgdisk" utility that comes on the Ax86 installer to format the 16GB of unallocated space to ext4 and then wrote the partition to the disk.

Unfortunately here's where I ran into an error that wasn't covered in the Ax86 installation guide... After I chose to install Ax86 on the new partition I just created, the installer asked me if I wanted to install GRUB, to which I answered Yes, but then a warning box popped up saying:

Warning Found GPT on /dev/sda. The legacy GRUB can't be installed to GPT. Do you want to convert it to MBR? WARNING: This is a dangerous operation. Etc...

I clicked No, because I didn't think I wanted to do that, and my machine rebooted. So after searching for quite awhile on Google and the Ax86 Google Groups, I couldn't seem to find any relevant advice about what to do in this situation and only got more confused. Eventually, I found somebody who had replied to a post in the Google Group with instructions that seemed relevant to my situation and hardware setup. He suggested to point the Ax86 installer to my 100MB EFI "fat32" partition first, instead of the 16GB ext4 partition I had created, let it install GRUB2, and as soon as GRUB2 finished installing, reboot the machine. Then, after booting into the USB stick again, point the installer to the 16GB ext4 partition and let it run through fully, saying No when it asks if you want to install GRUB.

So I tried following these instructions (without realizing I needed to boot the USB stick using UEFI rather than Legacy) and pointed the installer to my EFI partition, it asked me if I wanted to format the partition, I clicked [Yes -] fat32, and then I got the same error message as before about GRUB not being able to be installed to GPT. I clicked No, and my machine rebooted, and then found myself in the unpleasant situation of not being able to get back into my Windows install (in hindsight, what else should I have expected after I just formatted my EFI partition? ).

This morning I finally realized that the mistake I made was not booting the Ax86 USB disk in UEFI mode, which would have used GRUB2 rather than the original GRUB. So after realizing this, I was able to install GRUB2 and Ax86 just fine, and now when my machine boots up it takes me to a bootloader screen where I can choose to launch either Ax86 or the option "Windows at hd0,gpt2". The problem is that I still can't boot into Windows. When I select Windows from the bootloader, I get a green screen (GSOD?) with the error:

Your Windows Insider Build ran into a problem and needs to restart. BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

and then after it reboots:

Your PC couldn't start properly and needs to be repaired. Error code: 0xc0000001

|-----What I have tried to do to fix it:

So I have a desktop PC that is running the exact same Enterprise 2004 (Slow Ring) build as my tablet, and I have used the "Create a recovery drive" tool built into Windows on that PC to create a recovery USB stick. I boot the recovery stick in UEFI mode on my tablet, but Automatic Startup Repair can't fix the problem. Using command prompt to check the the log file it generates ("D:\Windows\System32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt"), the only seeming anomaly is:

Test Performed: Name: Check for installed LCU Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x3f1 Time taken = 3406 ms

When I run DISKPART > list vol in the command prompt, here is the result:

Volume # Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    Volume 0 C Recovery NTFS Partition 529 MB Healthy
    Volume 1 D NTFS Partition 221 GB Healthy
    Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy Hidden
    Volume 3 E RECOVERY FAT32 Removable 7633 MB Healthy

And I don't know if this is helpful or not, but my default path when opening up command prompt is "X:\Windows\System32\".

Does anybody have any idea what commands I can run that will possibly get Windows booting properly again?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and any help you may be able to offer me. I appreciate it!

submitted by /u/richbordoni
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/richbordoni, Apr 13, 2020

2. Formatted EFI partition

Hello,

I have tried to dual boot my pc and it worked.But by mistake I formatted my EFI partition and so I can only boot into android marshmallow please help so that I can use my Windows 10 too.

Omkesh Dwivedi, Apr 13, 2020
  3. trog100 Win User
    Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile Can anyone help me get Windows 10 bootable again after formatting my EFI partition? :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Apr 13, 2020
  4. Can anyone help me get Windows 10 bootable again after formatting my EFI partition?

Help on Partition 1TB HDD into GPT format

Hi people, I am planning to convert a 1TB hdd into GPT format. Here's how I want to partition the disk: 450MB for WinRE, 100MB for EFI, 128MB for MSR, 5GB for Recovery, 100GB for windows and then the rest are for more partitions.
    My question here, are these partion sizes okay for an UEFI Windows 10 installation? Especially, I cannot be sure how large the Recovery and WinRE, partitions should be. So some advice would be helpful.

Royal Bengal Tiger, Apr 13, 2020
Thema:

Can anyone help me get Windows 10 bootable again after formatting my EFI partition?

1. Can anyone help me get Windows 10 bootable again after formatting my EFI partition? - Similar Threads - anyone help bootable

2. can anyone help me with this???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can anyone help me with this???: A few hours ago we got new fibre broadband installed, and everything is working, other than this computer, it browses the internet but that is all it can do, I tried launching epic games launcher, steam and the xbox game pass app. Unfortunately they dont seem to work, could...
  3. can anyone help me please, it´s coming again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can anyone help me please, it´s coming again.: This coming firstIRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL aAn attempt was made to access a pageable or completely invalid address at aninterrupt request level IRQL that is too high. This is usuallycaused by drivers using improper addresses.If a kernel debugger is available get the stack...
  4. can anyone help me please, it´s coming again.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can anyone help me please, it´s coming again.: This coming firstIRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL aAn attempt was made to access a pageable or completely invalid address at aninterrupt request level IRQL that is too high. This is usuallycaused by drivers using improper addresses.If a kernel debugger is available get the stack...
  5. can anyone help me please, it´s coming again.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Can anyone help me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can anyone help me?: I downloaded the Windows 11 OS recently on my Acer i5 lap.. But after two days, my lap screen went black. Now I cant see anything from my lap. Also, the blue light comes and goes off from time to time. Can anyone help me to resolve this issue?...
  7. Help: Formatted EFI partition on dual OS install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help: Formatted EFI partition on dual OS install: I wanted to fresh install my Pop OS alongside windows so burned an iso and checked to format my old pop os installation. I accidentally checked the format EFI partition too. Now I am unable to boot to windows. Any help is appreciated. submitted by /u/bprayush [link]...
  8. Can not find my EFI partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can not find my EFI partition: [ATTACH] Hello, i ran into an issue this week when i decided i wanted to have dualboot manjaro and windows 10. The issue is being is that i apparently dont have an EFI partition although Windows boots normally. Is there a way to recreate one or should i just format my...
  9. can anyone help me get my dvd/cd-rom working again?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can anyone help me get my dvd/cd-rom working again?: OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Model 20-b010 System Type x64-based PC System SKU H3Y89AA#ABA Processor AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeontm HD Graphics, 1400 Mhz, 2...
  10. Windows detected that the efi system partition was formatted as ntfs. Format the efi system...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows detected that the efi system partition was formatted as ntfs. Format the efi system...: I am getting this error trying to install latest version of windows in a uefi bootable USB. I used Rufus to create the USB in ntfs format. I have formatted my OS and I don't want to lose any more data. What can I do?...