Windows 10: Can AppData or ProgramData be replaced with shortcuts to other drives?

Discus and support Can AppData or ProgramData be replaced with shortcuts to other drives? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm gradually running out of space on C:. I've moved most large folders to other drives that I know are safe to move. However, two of the biggest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Eksy61, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Eksy61 Win User

Can AppData or ProgramData be replaced with shortcuts to other drives?

I'm gradually running out of space on C:. I've moved most large folders to other drives that I know are safe to move.

However, two of the biggest remaining storage hogs are C:\ProgramData (44 GB) and my own AppData (28 GB), which is also on C:.

Would it be possible to move these two huge system folders to other drives and just have shortcuts to them where they used to be? (IOW, C:\ProgramData would now be a shortcut pointing to D:\ProgramData)

Would this work?

(I have Windows 10 Home v2004)

:)

Eksy61, Mar 30, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

AppData and ProgramData are they now hidden??

Hi William

Open File Explorer, then on the View Tab, tick the box marked 'Hidden Items'

The ProgramData folder will be in the root of your C Drive

The AppData folder will be found in your User Folder (C:\Users\Yourname

DaveM121, Mar 30, 2021
  3. Anak Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hi Jerry, you're welcome.

Here's mine after I rt clk'd on my Documents Folder like you show in Scrsht 11:

Can AppData or ProgramData be replaced with shortcuts to other drives? [​IMG]

I'd like to wait until you reply to my question in Scrsht 12, if it is a remnant of the process try deleting the one on the dsktp and see if the one in send to also disappears. If it stays in send to, test it, and if you're still having problems I'd suggest you could go back to: Option One: To Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu for Your Account (current user) and do Step 3 to remove it and start over using Step 4 but be very careful of your steps in creating the shortcut and be sure you d&d that shortcut to the send to part of the address.

I'm busy today and I probably won't be back until the evening.

4. Jelu Cal Win User

ProgramData-filder backup

Hi,

The ProgramData folder is usually located in the C: drive of your device. To locate the ProgramData folder, you can perform the following:

• In File Explorer, click on the View tab.
    • Click on Options.
    • In the Folder Options window, click on the View tab.
    • Under the Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
    • Click on Apply.
    • Click on OK.

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

Jelu Cal, Mar 30, 2021
Thema:

1. Can AppData or ProgramData be replaced with shortcuts to other drives? - Similar Threads - AppData ProgramData replaced

2. Too much to ask for %APPDATA%, %PROGRAMDATA%, %USERPROFILE% to be offloaded to a secondary...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too much to ask for %APPDATA%, %PROGRAMDATA%, %USERPROFILE% to be offloaded to a secondary...: PLEASE don't answer this and suggest the above *could* cause system instability, blah-blah. It's possible...There are so many reasons why I believe this should be a standard option with any install..... and even pushed with OEM installs after first login......
  3. Too much to ask for %APPDATA%, %PROGRAMDATA%, %USERPROFILE% to be offloaded to a secondary...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Too much to ask for %APPDATA%, %PROGRAMDATA%, %USERPROFILE% to be offloaded to a secondary...: PLEASE don't answer this and suggest the above *could* cause system instability, blah-blah. It's possible...There are so many reasons why I believe this should be a standard option with any install..... and even pushed with OEM installs after first login......
  4. Copy old to new or reset install? Programdata Appdata Registry.

Copy old to new or reset install? Programdata Appdata Registry.: What is needed to copy old programs to new or reset install? Programdata Appdata Registry? packagecaches or?How do I find and import export the registry and what else is needed?I'm tired of how much a struggle windows is. By default things are stupid/broken, or get updated to...
  5. Copy old to new or reset install? Programdata Appdata Registry.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy old to new or reset install? Programdata Appdata Registry.: What is needed to copy old programs to new or reset install? Programdata Appdata Registry? packagecaches or?How do I find and import export the registry and what else is needed?I'm tired of how much a struggle windows is. By default things are stupid/broken, or get updated to...
  6. I also know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...

I also know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...: I know about the following two locations for start menu items:%programdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programsand%appdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/ProgramsHowever, there are menu items that are not found in either of those two locations and I want to be able to move...
  7. Replaced hard drive, shortcuts pointing to wrong place

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replaced hard drive, shortcuts pointing to wrong place: win ver. 1903 (build 18362.836) my operating system is stored in my SSD, which is working just fine. my HDD failed this morning and I have replaced it just now, and have it set up. however my file explorer still shows all the shortcuts ("my documents" "downloads" "pictures"...
  8. The Videos Shortcut on my Windows drive has my appdata and all of my shortcuts inside it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The Videos Shortcut on my Windows drive has my appdata and all of my shortcuts inside it: When I installed windows on my new SSD a couple of months back, I don't know what happened but for some reason the videos shortcut has my appdata and a bunch of other stuff inside of it. It's hard to explain so I'll post a screenshot here. Anyway to fix the directories to get...
  9. AppData and ProgramData are they now hidden??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    AppData and ProgramData are they now hidden??: Hello in the past, I was able to open and inspect files in AppData Roaming and ProgramData folders on C:\Users\.... These two folder destinations are not there anymore BUT until the last update. They were in the directory for years, and I need to access AppData Roaming for...
  10. I know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...: ... there are some menu items that are not found in either, and I want to be able to move them to a Start menu folder. For example, I have a Dell notebook that, when tools were installed, it created a folder in the Start menu named Dell but also created two icons in the...