Windows 10: Can AppLocker restrict services?

Discus and support Can AppLocker restrict services? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Does anyone know if AppLocker can restrict services? After testing, I believe the answer is no, but I don't see this limitation expressed in any... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tom_C_Onyx, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Can AppLocker restrict services?

Does anyone know if AppLocker can restrict services? After testing, I believe the answer is no, but I don't see this limitation expressed in any documentation. My testing was as follows:

X Create an AppLocker rule, dening execution of badcommand.exe to everyone

X From the console, login as user and execute badcommand.exe => execution was denied

X From the console, login as local administrator and execute badcommand.exe => execution was denied

X Using MSSQL server, use xp_cmdshell to execute badcommand.exe => execution was permitted

It seems that applocker can't restrict a service, or atleast sqlsrvr.exe is special.

Has anyone else used applocker for services? Any insights?

Thanks.

~ Tom

:)

Tom_C_Onyx, Jun 15, 2020
  2. ahmd Win User

How to set up AppLocker restrictions on Windows 10 Pro?

I'm installing an office PC in a small business and I was wondering how do I enable AppLocker restrictions?

It seems like I've set them up in the gpedit.msc console, then started up AppIdentity service (set it to auto-run) but no matter what I do, the restrictions are not enabled, even though this site says that AppLocker is supported on Windows 10 Pro.

Any idea how to use that AppLocker on Win10?

PS. I want to white-list which software (executables) and what types of files can be opened on that machine.

3. JamshedMuhammad Khan, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Naveen_M Win User

Can AppLocker restrict services?

question about log applications and service

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The Windows Applications and Services Log enables you to monitor the Applications and Services Logs on the computer.

AppLocker helps you to control which apps and files users can run. AppLocker has the ability to deny apps from running when you exclude them from the list of allowed apps. It can create rules that prelude unlicensed software from running
    and restrict licensed software to authorized users. AppLocker is ideal for computers within a business group.

Refer this article on
    AppLocker
    for more information. If you wish to block an app, you can use AppLocker. AppLocker has nothing to do with your system performance. So, I'd suggest not to disable it.

Hope it helps.

Naveen M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Naveen_M, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

Can AppLocker restrict services?

1. Can AppLocker restrict services? - Similar Threads - AppLocker restrict services

2. Applocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applocker: Hello I heard about applocker and how it helps to protect the PC.Should I enable applocker?Does it change the way I use my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/applocker/40002d03-47d1-4cf4-afa6-233018750a75
  3. Applocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applocker: Hello I heard about applocker and how it helps to protect the PC.Should I enable applocker?Does it change the way I use my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/applocker/40002d03-47d1-4cf4-afa6-233018750a75
  4. applocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    applocker: Hi all, There is a need to implement application whitelisting in my company. We are using windows 10 pro. So I decide to explore applocker as a mean to disable files from being run. I have created the default rules and base on what I've read. "Any executable file not allowed...
  5. applocker

in Windows 10 Support
    applocker: Hi all, There is a need to implement application whitelisting in my company. We are using windows 10 pro. So I decide to explore applocker as a mean to disable files from being run. I have created the default rules and base on what I've read. "Any executable file not allowed...
  6. Modem restricted service

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Modem restricted service: I just updated Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro, after that I activated Microsoft Defense and now I can't connect the modem because the modem application says "Service: Limited service" I know it's about security in windows defense but What should I do?...
  7. Applocker

Applocker: Hi all, I disable access to IE using applocker but now its blocking all exe files on the system There is solution for this? Thanks 152683
  8. Applocker

in Windows 10 Support
    Applocker: Hi all, I disable access to IE using applocker but now its blocking all exe files on the system There is solution for this? Thanks 152683
  9. How to set up AppLocker restrictions on Windows 10 Pro?

How to set up AppLocker restrictions on Windows 10 Pro?: I'm installing an office PC in a small business and I was wondering how do I enable AppLocker restrictions? It seems like I've set them up in the gpedit.msc console, then started up AppIdentity service (set it to auto-run) but no matter what I do, the restrictions are not...
  10. How to set up AppLocker restrictions on Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set up AppLocker restrictions on Windows 10 Pro?: I'm installing an office PC in a small business and I was wondering how do I enable AppLocker restrictions? It seems like I've set them up in the gpedit.msc console, then started up AppIdentity service (set it to auto-run) but no matter what I do, the restrictions are not...