Windows 10: Can BU of a Win10 OS that has been on MBR disk be recovered to GPT dsk

Discus and support Can BU of a Win10 OS that has been on MBR disk be recovered to GPT dsk in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have Win10 installed into a system which is UEFI but on an MBR disk. I have a recent backup and want to delete all partitions on that disk and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by edkugler, Feb 29, 2016.

1. edkugler Win User

Can BU of a Win10 OS that has been on MBR disk be recovered to GPT dsk

I have Win10 installed into a system which is UEFI but on an MBR disk. I have a recent backup and want to delete all partitions on that disk and convert it to GPT. Do I need to start over with a clean install of Win7 on the MBR disk and then do the free upgrade to Win10? Or would I be able to do a restore of my Win10 from backup?

In other words, I am asking if the Win10 which I presently have installed on my MBR disk must always be installed on an MBR disk or if it is possible for it to be recovered to the disk after it has been converted to GPT.

:)

edkugler, Feb 29, 2016
  2. qinada Win User

Windows Installation

On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. If you use MBR disk, you will receive this error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. You can convert MBR to GPT and try it again.

qinada, Feb 29, 2016
  3. Jon-Stark Win User
    3TB Drive format windows 10 not working

This is because your hard disk is MBR disk, you can check it in Disk Management.
    which only supports 2 TB drive. so the only way to get your space backup is to convert your disk back to GPT disk. Disk management can only convert a disk to MBR when it is empty. Therefore, you need a third party software to

convert MBR to GPT on Windows 10
    without affecting the OS, such as AOMEI Partition Assistant.after installing this software, the Convert mBR/GPT wizard will guide you through the process. http://www.disk-partition.com/help/convert-gpt-mbr-disk.html

Jon-Stark, Feb 29, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

You will be able to convert disk to GPT and then do a clean install of W10, during the install you skip the product key entry and it will activate automatically later on.

philc43, Feb 29, 2016
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    If I understand correctly, you want to convert your existing installed OS from MBR to GPT. The free tool Mini-Tool Partition can convert your drive partitions from MBR to GPT and align them correctly if needed. You may not have to reinstall or restore an image. I have done this, very easy, and successful.

And the price is right! $0.00! Free MiniTool Partition Manager—Partition Wizard

Direct link to download:
    http://www.minitool.com/partition-ma...zard-home.html

f14tomcat, Feb 29, 2016
  6. sml156 Win User
  7. Word Man Win User
    BackUp

Word Man, Feb 29, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

I could be wrong but pretty certain you cannot restore an mbr based OS backup to gpt or vice versa.

cereberus, Mar 1, 2016
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    That is exactly why my post #3.

f14tomcat, Mar 1, 2016
  10. edkugler Win User
    From to f14tomcat:

Thanks for the quick and helpful suggestion. However, when I select the "Convert MBR to GPT Disk" in the MiniTool Partition Manager, I get the error message: "This disk contains system partition and converting this disk to GPT style will cause your system to be unbootable."

That is specifically what I am trying to avoid. I want to retain my bootable Windows 10 when I convert the disk containing it from MBR to GPT.

I have a multi-boot consisting of Win 10 on one SSD and Win 7 on a second one. Both of these SSDs are MBR and, one at a time, I want to convert each of them to GPT without making my operating systems unbootable. Do you have any further suggestions? I really, really want to be able to do this.

Thanks.

edkugler, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can BU of a Win10 OS that has been on MBR disk be recovered to GPT dsk - Similar Threads - Win10 has been

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  4. converting gpt to mbr is bad or can i restore the disk to gpt if its mbr with gdisk or fdisk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    converting gpt to mbr is bad or can i restore the disk to gpt if its mbr with gdisk or fdisk: converting gpt to mbr is bad or can i restore the disk to gpt if its mbr with gdisk or fdisk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/converting-gpt-to-mbr-is-bad-or-can-i-restore-the/031d348e-3867-4f6d-a17e-b649f462eb3f
  5. Converted my disk to GPT but it has MBR still. help?

Converted my disk to GPT but it has MBR still. help?: I have a trouble when i accidentally installed PopOS because my friend trolled me that i can play PC Game with it but apparently the hardest part is that my disk were converted as FAT32 that i can use it when i converted my main disk into NTFS why do i need GPT disk to...
  6. Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks: I'm trying to convert my MBR partition (which is on an HDD) to a GPT-based boot record, but my OS install is on an SSD (i.e. a different drive than the MBR). I'm not exactly sure how this happened when I was installing Windows; I think the HDD was set as disk 0 while the SSD...
  7. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  8. convert MBR to GPT disk

convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...
  9. GPT or MBR

GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...
  10. the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT

the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT: I upgraded my windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro and decided to do a clean install. The install partition ( boot partition ) is on a HDD with three other partitions. I tried to install from the Windows 10 disk, created from the downloaded ISO image. but greeted with "windows...