Windows 10: Can change permissions of whole folders, have to do it file by file

Discus and support Can change permissions of whole folders, have to do it file by file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So recently I had some trouble with windows 7 and upgraded to ten after two attempts at reinstalling 7. I backed up my documents, music, etc onto one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sagerronan, May 10, 2018.

1. Can change permissions of whole folders, have to do it file by file

So recently I had some trouble with windows 7 and upgraded to ten after two attempts at reinstalling 7. I backed up my documents, music, etc onto one of many hard drives currently inside my machine before those two reinstall attempts. Now I'm at windows 10 and I can't mass change permissions of certain folders on that hard drive. Originally the problem was that for some reason I didn't have permissions to view files in those folders even though it's the same machine, merely a different windows installation, and I am also the only owner of my hard drives and my machine, so I fail to see why I should be disallowed access to MY files. Unfortunately I NEED what's in these folders, as it contains all of my music as well as important documents and the programs I need to reinstall to this machine. Anyway, the problem is this, I can change permissions to give myself access to these files ONE AT A TIME, but I cannot do this en masse to the entire folders. That poses a significant problem given the fact that there are 14,000 files in those folders, I cannot POSSIBLY manually change the permissions one file at a time, nor should I have to. I attempt to add permissions so that my username can even read the files, but it merely gives me the error "An error occurred while applying security information to [Folder name]. Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied" Once again, I am the ONLY user on this machine and I AM an administrator, so I fail to see why I should not once again have access to MY files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can change permissions of whole folders, have to do it file by file [​IMG]

Can change permissions of whole folders, have to do it file by file [​IMG]

:)

Sagerronan, May 10, 2018

2. Cant open docs downloaded from skydrive to Windows phone

You may have to change or set the permisissions and share files on your SkyDrive account

There are details on how to do this here:

Windows | Official Site for Microsoft Windows 10 Home & Pro OS, laptops, PCs, tablets & more

To change permissions on an existing file or folder

• Go to SkyDrive.

You might need to sign in with your Windows Live ID.

• Go to the file or folder you'd like to share and expand the right most pane if it's collapsed.

• Under Sharing is a list of people with their permission settings. Click the drop-down for the person whose permissions you'd like to change and select either
      Can view or Can edit. People with Can view permission can only view files, but not change them. People with
      Can edit permission can view and edit files. Your changes will save automatically.

• To remove someone from the list of people with permission to a file or folder, click
      Delete. Your changes will save automatically.

Hope this helps.

Steven _fyiguy_ Hughes, May 11, 2018
  3. AlyMdr Win User
    Folder decrupted in windows 10

How can I change file permission to every one? Will this remove the padlock?The issue is with the picture folder, can change file permission apply to this folder?

The reason of removing this encryption attribute is that if I copy files from this folder to usb stick then want to use on another PC that I have no admin rights then I may not be able to use this file.

Thank you

AlyMdr, May 11, 2018
Thema:

Can change permissions of whole folders, have to do it file by file

1. Can change permissions of whole folders, have to do it file by file - Similar Threads - change permissions whole

2. I do not have permissions to save files in folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I do not have permissions to save files in folders.: So i cannot save a file that i used a few days ago I also cannot include screenshots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-do-not-have-permissions-to-save-files-in-folders/9740be92-fac7-4892-a49c-55036de0c028
  3. I do not have permissions to save files in folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I do not have permissions to save files in folders.: So i cannot save a file that i used a few days ago I also cannot include screenshots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-do-not-have-permissions-to-save-files-in-folders/9740be92-fac7-4892-a49c-55036de0c028
  4. I do not have permissions to save files in folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Why can I not change file permissions on or in the Windows folder in W11??

Why can I not change file permissions on or in the Windows folder in W11??: Why can I not change file permissions on or in the Windows folder in W11??? When troubleshooting Win Update and needing to rename or repair files in my system root directory it is IN-Frickin possible to do when locked out like this. IT IS NOT OK!The ONLY solution I can...
  6. File & Folder permissions

File & Folder permissions: I have downloaded a game Forza Horizons from the Microsoft store. while trying to find the location of the exe to add to my Dragon Centre app i have unintentionally moved the exe to my desktop. when trying to move it back to the original location it gives me an error...
  7. Do permissions get System 32 to delete a file or the whole folder?

Do permissions get System 32 to delete a file or the whole folder?: How do I get the permissions to delete System 32 (I know that System 32 is the system and important for the system) Berechtigungen kriegen System 32 datein zu löschen oder den ganzen ordner?
  8. You do not have permission to save changes to this file

You do not have permission to save changes to this file: Hi, I have been using my widows 10 photos app to trim videos for the last month. Yesterday I tried to do the same and I got the error message "you do not have permission to save changes to this file" when I tried to save as a copy following the trim. How can I get this...
  9. Do not have permission to open/change files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Do not have permission to open/change files: Hello Everyone; I am using Windows 10 Home and recently I have faced a problem. When I try to make a change a file or folder I have received a message that says " You do not have permission to open this file. see the Owner of the file or an administrator to obtain...
  10. Change Permissions of OneDrive Shared Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Permissions of OneDrive Shared Files and Folders: How to: Change Permissions of OneDrive Shared Files and Folders How to Change Permission Level of Shared OneDrive Files and Folders You can easily save your files to OneDrive and get to them from any device, like your Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 tablet, or Windows 10...