Windows 10: Can Changing File Permissions Cause Windows to become Corrupt?

Discus and support Can Changing File Permissions Cause Windows to become Corrupt? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I had to change the owner permissions of the default themes folder in my system under C:/windows/resources/themes as I wanted to delete the default... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Vibhor, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Vibhor Win User

Can Changing File Permissions Cause Windows to become Corrupt?

I had to change the owner permissions of the default themes folder in my system under C:/windows/resources/themes as I wanted to delete the default themes that came installed with the system.

I wanted to ask if there is any risk in doing so and if this can harm the PC system and cause the system to become corrupted? I got a warning message while I was changing the permissions that said something along the lines of "...If you changed the owner of this folder by mistake, please change the owner back to the default settings immediately."

:)

Vibhor, Feb 9, 2020

2. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Feb 9, 2020
  3. tom acito Win User
    how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

this is for a file... how for a folder and ALL subfolders and files

thanks.

tom acito, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Can Changing File Permissions Cause Windows to become Corrupt?

how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Are you trying to give permission to particular files and folders?
    I suggest you to follow the below step and check if it helps.

• Once you choose the file that you want to give permission, right click on it.
    • Click on properties and go to security tab, check whether any permission have been set.
    • After you have viewed the permissions that are already set, you can now click on the Advanced Button that is right below the "Permissions for Authenticated Users"
    • Once you have clicked Advanced, a box like this should appear, the "Permission Entries" box, which shows all the permissions that are set for the users. Now, after you have spotted the user whose permissions you wish to change, click "Change Permissions.
    • Click on the user you would like to edit, and then click the option that says "Change Permissions" which is right below the box.
    • Once that is clicked, you are going to get the same box pop up, but this time, you can actually edit the options. You do that by clicking the "Administrators" user again, and this time, you are going to click the "Edit" option.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

Can Changing File Permissions Cause Windows to become Corrupt?

1. Can Changing File Permissions Cause Windows to become Corrupt? - Similar Threads - Changing File Permissions

2. Windows 10 Reset PC Caused Corrupted Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Reset PC Caused Corrupted Files: I recently decided to reset my computer by choosing the options:1 Reset This PC2 Remove Everything3 Local reinstall4 Just remove my filesAfter the computer fully reset, I tried to login to my main profile on the system, however I was met with the error message: "The User...
  3. Why can I not change file permissions on or in the Windows folder in W11??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can I not change file permissions on or in the Windows folder in W11??: Why can I not change file permissions on or in the Windows folder in W11??? When troubleshooting Win Update and needing to rename or repair files in my system root directory it is IN-Frickin possible to do when locked out like this. IT IS NOT OK!The ONLY solution I can...
  4. Why can I not change file permissions on or in the Windows folder in W11??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can I not change file permissions on or in the Windows folder in W11??: Why can I not change file permissions on or in the Windows folder in W11??? When troubleshooting Win Update and needing to rename or repair files in my system root directory it is IN-Frickin possible to do when locked out like this. IT IS NOT OK!The ONLY solution I can...
  5. Windows Update That Caused Corrupted Files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update That Caused Corrupted Files.: Hi I recently just did a feature and quality update for Windows 10 that has my computer messed up. I tried all the common solutions. DISM, System Restore, Troubleshooters, Restarting Windows, etc. None worked. I get an error code or a message saying a file is corrupted or...
  6. SQLMIN.DLL file has become corrupted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SQLMIN.DLL file has become corrupted: I don't know how, but the SqlMin.DLL file located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\LocalDB\Binn has been truncated to a zero-byte file. One of my programs will no longer run because it needs to access the database. Any idea where I can get that file? I'm...
  7. Change Multiple File Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Multiple File Permissions: I am trying to delete a folder on my external hard drive and there are about 300 sub folders in the one folder. I want to change the permission of ALL of the folders so I can delete them all at once but it is only letting me change one folder permission at a time. When I...
  8. Cause of corrupt system files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cause of corrupt system files?: I've been in the process of removing data from a Win 10 machine for several weeks now, during which time it has not been connected to the internet, and no new programs have been installed on it. However, today, when I was trying to run malware checks on the appdata folder,...
  9. Can change permissions of whole folders, have to do it file by file

in Windows 10 Support
    Can change permissions of whole folders, have to do it file by file: So recently I had some trouble with windows 7 and upgraded to ten after two attempts at reinstalling 7. I backed up my documents, music, etc onto one of many hard drives currently inside my machine before those two reinstall attempts. Now I'm at windows 10 and I can't mass...
  10. No permission to change hosts file ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No permission to change hosts file ?: I have changed from W7 to W10 but find that although I am logged in as the administrator, I am unable to save any changes to my hosts file and get the message that I don't have accees/permission and should contact the administrator. Can anyone advise me as to what's going on...