Windows 10: Can connect to pc share using ip address but not the share name

Discus and support Can connect to pc share using ip address but not the share name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; One PC is a laptop and the other one is a desktop. Both are running Windows 10 v1803. The sharing option "Turn on network discovery" for private,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bofhlusr, Jul 18, 2019.

1. bofhlusr Win User

Can connect to pc share using ip address but not the share name

One PC is a laptop and the other one is a desktop. Both are running Windows 10 v1803.
    The sharing option "Turn on network discovery" for private, public, and guests is checked on both computers. Also checked is "Turn on file and printer sharing".

From the laptop, I can connect to the desktop if I type the ip \\10.0.0.244, but NOT the name 'desktop'.

From the desktop, I can connect to the laptop using the name \\10.0.0.100, AND the name 'laptop'.

Any ideas why I can not connect from the laptop using the name 'desktop'?

Thank you.

:)

bofhlusr, Jul 18, 2019
  2. spapakons Win User

Windows 10 as WiFi Hotspot not assigning IP addresses

I haven't tried, but you could connect your PC to the internet by cable and create an ad hoc wireless connection between the PC and the other device to get internet. Right-click on the network icon and select Network and Sharing Center. Then click on Change adapter settings. This shows all your adapters and connections. Right-click on the Ethernet connection and select Properties, then click the Sharing tab. Check the box to Allow sharing the connection and select your wireless connection from the list. I am not sure if it will work with automatic settings though, you may have to manually assign an IP address to the wireless connection. Then manually assign an IP address at the other device and set the Default gateway to the IP address of the PC's wireless connection. Also you have to create a new ad hoc connection and connect to that from the other device. I don't currently have a Wi-Fi card, so I cannot see the steps to guide you.

spapakons, Jul 18, 2019
  3. Static IP address for a laptop on shared connection help

Preface: I have a tower with a WiFi card that's getting the internet service from the WiFi in my house. The tower is sharing that connection via crossover cable to a laptop that cannot use its WiFi card because said laptop doesn't have a
    screen (or a keyboard for that matter). Until some hard drives come in, I'm using the laptop as a partial personal server and connect to it via networked-mapped drives in a Workgroup (when I just want data) and via Remote Desktop (when I want to do something
    on it). The laptop and tower share the same physical screen, and the tower dual-boots Win10 and Win8.1.

Problem: I've gotten it to work, but every time I restart my tower, I lose my shared internet to the laptop because the laptop doesn't recognize the "new" network (the tower), despite the tower constantly sharing the connection to THAT Ethernet
    port. My laptop remembers 5 separate networks, all are my computer tower, likely just separate IP addresses or something of that nature.

What I want to do/need help with: How can I set the laptop's IP address to something static, or have the IP address associated with that ethernet port (or both ports; there are 2 on my tower's motherboard) while sharing internet remain static
    even between boot-ups for the tower so that I'm not running into connectivity trouble between boots. The tower is running Windows 10 right now, but I plan on making this apply to Windows 8.1, too, and I'm assuming the steps are the same minus some details.
    The laptop and tower share the same screen.

Blue Pedro, Jul 18, 2019
  4. Mala_S Win User

Android to PC file Share - Security at risk

Hello Anuj Indoria,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To address the issue, kindly help us with the following questions.

1. If the computer is connected via cable, may I know how the phone is connected to the computer?
    2. If the computer is connected via Wi-Fi, may I know how the phone is connected to the computer?
    3. When you connect the computer via Wi-Fi, will it asks for the Wi-Fi credentials or the computer credentials?
    I would recommend you to check with the below suggestions and see if it works.

Method 1: Turn on password protected sharing.

If the password protected sharing is on, only people who have a user account and password on that computer can access shared files attached to that computer and the Public folders. To restrict other people access, you must turn on password protected sharing.
    To do that

• Go to search window and type Managed advanced sharing settings and click on it.
    • Click the down arrow on the right of All Networks to expand the settings.
    • Select Turn on password protected sharing from the list and click on
      Save changes.

Method 2: Create a shared folder.

You can share files between your android and PC and keep it encrypted by creating a shared folder from the following steps.

• Create a shared folder and assign a name to it.
    • In ES File Explorer on your phone, hit the globe icon which is on the upper-left corner and navigate the network - LAN.
    • Click Search on the menu from the bottom to search for networks (Make sure to connect the phone and PC till you get the IP Address of your PC).
    • Click the icon and add your Username and Password.
    • After creating a shared folder, you can easily add sharing files back and forth using ES File explorer.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Jul 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Can connect to pc share using ip address but not the share name - Similar Threads - connect share using

2. Strange IP address connected to my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange IP address connected to my PC: I checked netstat and there was a weird IP from Texas that was connected to my pc. Ive been told that that is a hacker's IP thats connected to my pc but im not sure, any answers?...
  3. can two PC on the LAN share the same user name for network shares?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can two PC on the LAN share the same user name for network shares?: Or is that going to be a problem. As in you connect to a network computer, and it asks for the user name and the password. And 2 of the PC have the same user name. 169491
  4. The ip address I am trying to connect to is informing me that the file share is not secure...

The ip address I am trying to connect to is informing me that the file share is not secure...: Can anyone inform me how to go about resolving this issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-ip-address-i-am-trying-to-connect-to-is/a7569439-9092-4666-99c5-c11a90faef39
  5. sharing connection with another pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    sharing connection with another pc: im needing to fix another hp pc and use the pc im on now, how do i go about linking them together? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-connection-with-another-pc/51ab713a-24cb-48d6-b98b-9346742d1887
  6. Share My IP With A Friend

Share My IP With A Friend: How can i do that? VPN, VLAN, Proxy would work? 51433
  7. Can only connect to network share using IPaddress

Can only connect to network share using IPaddress: HI there. New to the group so Hi everyone and I hope you can shed some light on this.... I have 2 new PC's set up and running, connected to a NAS via a Switch. Internet is available via a router. I need to be able to access folders on and from both machines. I have...
  8. Not able to access shared folders by using computer name, but ip is ok

Not able to access shared folders by using computer name, but ip is ok: Hi I had a server computer that was running windows 7. It was working like a charm, but suddenly I was unable to remote to it. I found a monitor and keyboard that I connected. My server then told me that it had installed windows 10. Wow thanks… That is something I would...
  9. VPN Sharing to a specific IP -

VPN Sharing to a specific IP -: Hi guys, I have a VPN that runs on my windows 10. I would like to have that VPN shared/route to a specific IP (that IP is a router set up as an access point, and has wireless and ethernet ports, both working. dlink dir-655 that doesnt support DD-WRT). WHY i want to...
  10. sharing and connectivity

sharing and connectivity: Hello I can make a homegroup on each pc but cannot connect them. In the day with XP I could connect the laptop and router and make conection then disconnect the cable and still have connectivity but not with10. I have read a lot and this seems to be a common issue with Win...