Windows 10: Can Desktop icon highlights be maintained?

Discus and support Can Desktop icon highlights be maintained? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not sure how best to ask this really, but here's the cryptic question in more detail. I'm running Win10 Pro, 20H2. With my previous version of Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Electrojim, May 4, 2021.

1. Can Desktop icon highlights be maintained?

Not sure how best to ask this really, but here's the cryptic question in more detail. I'm running Win10 Pro, 20H2. With my previous version of Windows (Vista), double-clicking a Desktop icon would open that file, program or whatever, but when the file was closed the Desktop icon remained highlighted until another was selected. That was handy. Over time I accumulate quite a clutter of icons, mostly for temporary stuff I'm working on. Come housecleaning time, it's easy to double-click a poorly-named icon to find out what it points to, and if the Desktop link or temporary Desktop storage is no longer required, the icon can be deleted. But now, once I click and see what's in that folder or whatever, when the full Desktop pops back I have to search-out that file among all the others. Is there a way to restore that function that I had with Vista?

:)

Electrojim, May 4, 2021
  2. das10 Win User

Can Desktop icon highlights be maintained?

On my System, if I am on the Desktop and double click an Icon to run it, then after closing the window of whatever item it ran, it appears that the Desktop loses focus, but if I press the Win+ D hotkey to get back that focus, I can see that last Icon highlighted again.

das10, May 4, 2021
  3. Can Desktop icon highlights be maintained?

Not sure how best to ask this really, but here's the cryptic question in more detail. I'm running Win10 Pro, 20H2.

With my previous version of Windows (Vista), double-clicking a Desktop icon would open that file, program or whatever, but when the file was closed the Desktop icon remained highlighted until another was selected. That was handy. Over time I accumulate quite a clutter of icons, mostly for temporary stuff I'm working on. Come housecleaning time, it's easy to double-click a poorly-named icon to find out what it points to, and if the Desktop link or temporary Desktop storage is no longer required, the icon can be deleted. But now, once I click and see what's in that folder or whatever, when the full Desktop pops back I have to search-out that file among all the others. Is there a way to restore that function that I had with Vista?

Electrojim, May 4, 2021
  4. das10 Win User

Now, this is strange.

I just switched on another PC (running Windows 32 bit Home vs 64 bit Pro) to check this phenomenon, and not only does the Desktop not lose focus, but even the icon doesn't lose the highlight after it has been run !

I don't know what to make of that. (Both of them are set up using very similar and basic backgrounds, colours, appearance & performance settings etc.)

das10, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Can Desktop icon highlights be maintained? - Similar Threads - Desktop icon highlights

2. Desktop icon highlight lagging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icon highlight lagging: So sometimes the desktop icon highlight starts lagging and skips some icons. This usually doesn't happen on all icons only some. Does anyone know a fix to this. Demonstration: https://youtu.be/k7360PkNnu4...
  3. Desktop icon highlight lagging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icon highlight lagging: So sometimes the desktop icon highlight starts lagging and skips some icons. This usually doesn't happen on all icons only some. Does anyone know a fix to this. Demonstration: https://youtu.be/k7360PkNnu4...
  4. Highlighted search icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Highlighted search icons: Hi! So you know how Microsoft added Highlighted Search to Windows 10 right?Welp, the icon that they are using is so nice, but I couldn't find a place where it is stored . Do you know where it is? Let me know!Thanks in advance!...
  5. Highlighted search icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Highlighted search icons: Hi! So you know how Microsoft added Highlighted Search to Windows 10 right?Welp, the icon that they are using is so nice, but I couldn't find a place where it is stored . Do you know where it is? Let me know!Thanks in advance!...
  6. Highlighted search icons

in Cortana
  7. Icons add to desktop in columns. Items on desktop are highlighted by rows. How does this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons add to desktop in columns. Items on desktop are highlighted by rows. How does this...: When you have icons added to the desktop, they add vertically from top left down column by column moving right. When you select an icon, and hold shift, and select another icon, it highlights all the icons by row first, starting where selected and going right then down, row...
  8. Desktop Highlighter

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Highlighter: My mouse highlighter in Windows desktop has changed to little white dots when it should've been light blue by default. I've changed it in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors but it didn't work. How do I solve it?...
  9. Remove desktop icon highlight?

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove desktop icon highlight?: Hello all Just setup a PC with my first version of Windows 10 this past weekend and have found that unlike in Win 7, I get this weird translucent highlighted box around my desktop icons in both a light version if I just hover over it with the mouse curser that goes away if I...
  10. Taskbar Icons not Highlighted?

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Icons not Highlighted?: Hi just a quick question and wondered if anyone else has this? My Taskbar Icons don't highlight when in use, I'm used to seeing them highlighted in W7 and miss that as I often close W10 with something open in the background, like notepad or something.. Is there a way to...