Windows 10: Can executing "bootrec /RebuildBCD" make a booting PC to not boot?

Discus and support Can executing "bootrec /RebuildBCD" make a booting PC to not boot? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have an issue executing the Defender Offline Scan. If I try to execute it via the PowerShell I get the following error: Windows PowerShell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MonoArdilla, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Can executing "bootrec /RebuildBCD" make a booting PC to not boot?

Hello,

I have an issue executing the Defender Offline Scan. If I try to execute it via the PowerShell I get the following error:

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\Users\XXX> Start-MpWDOScan
    Start-MpWDOScan : Errors were encountered when attempted to run WDO scan on your PC.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Start-MpWDOScan
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: (MSFT_MpWDOScan:ROOT\Microsoft\...\MSFT_MpWDOScan) [Start-MpWDOScan],
    CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80070005,Start-MpWDOScan

And when I execute it from the Windows Security scan options, my computer reboots giving the following blue screen error:

Recovery
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\winload.efi
    Error code: 0xc0000225

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again
    Press F1 to enter Recovery Environment
    Press F8 for Startup Settings
    Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

I have no idea what the error from the PowerShell indicates, but for the winload.efi error, I have read in other threads that the best way to proceed is to rebuild the BCD and MBR using the USB recovery device from the manufacturer. However, my computer boots fine and I do not want to induce an additional error by modifying the BCD or MBR.

So my central question is, does the possibility exist that I mess up my correct boot by rebuilding the BCD and MBR from the USB recovery device? Also, it would also help if somebody could interpret what is the cause of the error I find in the PowerShell when manually running the Defender Offline Scan?

I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685) Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 on a Sager workstation.

:)

MonoArdilla, Jan 6, 2021

2. Windows 10 Boot

In the bootrec.jpg image:

Rebuildbcd found 1 copy outside of the windows store.

Total identified Windows installations: 1

Repeat the steps in the image:

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /scanos

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Add installation to boot list? Yes/No/All:

type: Y

then enter key

It should display :

The operation completed successfully. (The BCD rebuild is complete.)

reboot

It it works that will complete the troubleshooting.

If it fails then it may be able to be rebuilt with additional steps.

questions_, Jan 6, 2021
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    Windows 10 cannot boot. Cannot run bootrec /rebuildbcd

Bootrec is only in the recovery options so you may not be where it is available.

The rebuildbcd command will show 0 if there are no Windows 10 installs OTHER than the one already in the System Partition, so that is normal.

Do the bcdedit command and copy and past the listing.

It should be able to boot..but it should not have the letter B if it still does. If it does and you need to get rid of it, select the B volume and use diskpart , then after selecting the volume..

remove letter=b

Saltgrass, Jan 6, 2021
  4. JYC_robs Win User

Can executing "bootrec /RebuildBCD" make a booting PC to not boot?

Windows Installation Error (Unable to update boot configuration)

Hello,

I have the exact same issue that detailed in this question. I have completed your suggested CMD commands:

• bootrec /fixmbr

• bootrec /fixboot

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /rebuildbcd

But I think you left off the last part. After "bootrec /rebuildbcd, Windows asks : "Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A)"

Which do I choose??? Y, N, or A??

Eagerly awaiting your reply. Thanks!

JYC_robs, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

Can executing "bootrec /RebuildBCD" make a booting PC to not boot?

1. Can executing "bootrec /RebuildBCD" make a booting PC to not boot? - Similar Threads - executing bootrec RebuildBCD

2. understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.: I've been trying to find an explanation of what the mbr, boot record and bcd store are.I've seen info like this ..https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-bootrec-exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues-902ebb04-daa3-4f90-579f-0fbf51f7dd5dand I understand I...
  3. pc will not boot, bootrec will not run, bootrec rebuild will not run

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    pc will not boot, bootrec will not run, bootrec rebuild will not run: Cloned HDD to SSD, now neither will run.Getting 0xc000000f error.Bootrec will not run, bootrec rebuild will not run.Desperate.Machine is HP Elite 8300 SFF.Thanks....
  4. pc will not boot, bootrec will not run, bootrec rebuild will not run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc will not boot, bootrec will not run, bootrec rebuild will not run: Cloned HDD to SSD, now neither will run.Getting 0xc000000f error.Bootrec will not run, bootrec rebuild will not run.Desperate.Machine is HP Elite 8300 SFF.Thanks....
  5. pc will not boot, bootrec will not run, bootrec rebuild will not run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: Hello recently my system got a BSOD while downloading something which led to corruption of system files, i was able to correct them using sfc/scannow and chkdsk /s /r , i can boot into windows normally but whenever i try to boot into windows recovery environment, i get the...
  7. "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...

"bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...: This answer from last year seemed to address the non-booting issue, but completely ignores the original problem statement, "Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access."...
  8. Windows 10 cannot boot. Cannot run bootrec /rebuildbcd

Windows 10 cannot boot. Cannot run bootrec /rebuildbcd: Hi, my computer had a BSOD and upon rebooting, it doesn't boot into Windows anymore. It reboot loops when trying to load Windows circle with dots. I've entered recovery and tried to use the following commands in Command Prompt: bootrec /fixmbr --> Ok bootrec /fixboot -->...
  9. bootrec /rebuildbcd errors

bootrec /rebuildbcd errors: I am in the Windows recovery mode cmdline. After I type bootrec /rebuildbcd and hit 'y' and 'n' accordingly to adjust my boot configs, I get the following error: The system cannot find the path specified...
  10. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: I'm getting an odd issue where if I run either command, they don't run all the way through. bootrec /scanos doesn't tell me how many (if any) installations of Windows were found, and bootrec /rebuildbcd tells me it might take a while, but then quits after a few seconds with...