Windows 10: Can File Explorer be made to search 'via/within' a shortcut?

Discus and support Can File Explorer be made to search 'via/within' a shortcut? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I have a question please. Can File Explorer be made to search 'via/within' a shortcut? ie like we have Search in all Sub-folders, do we have Search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Assaf Soudry, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Can File Explorer be made to search 'via/within' a shortcut?

Hi
    I have a question please.
    Can File Explorer be made to search 'via/within' a shortcut? ie like we have Search in all Sub-folders, do we have Search in all Shortcuts?

Eg:
    - I have a folder called Folder_A which contains only one thing; a shortcut to a different folder called Folder_B. In Folder_B there exists a file called test.txt.
    - I open Folder_A and search for test.txt. Result: No files found.

My question: Is there some setting or option to cause the search to find the file by continuing the search 'via' the shortcut to Folder_B?

Thanks a lot in advance
    Assaf
    Windows 10, 64 bit.

I tried searching online for the answer but was swamped by pages suggesting useful File Explorer Shortcuts.

:)

Assaf Soudry, Dec 22, 2019
  2. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Can File Explorer be made to search 'via/within' a shortcut? :)

terrace, Dec 22, 2019
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Can File Explorer be made to search 'via/within' a shortcut?

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

Can File Explorer be made to search 'via/within' a shortcut?

1. Can File Explorer be made to search 'via/within' a shortcut? - Similar Threads - File Explorer made

2. File Explorer made a oopsie

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer made a oopsie: Hello, I'm a little disgruntled at the file explorer as I noticed the 6 folders that are in this pc is no longer on the left side bar and I'm really aggravated at the fact that those 6 folders are no longer on the left side as it was for me a easier way to get to my downloads...
  3. Search in Windows 11 not searching within files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search in Windows 11 not searching within files: Since updating to Windows 11 have ongoing problem with search in file manager only searching document name, not contents. All search properties are set for searching content and I have done all recommended troubleshooting. At one point I managed to get it working after...
  4. Search in Windows 11 not searching within files

Search in Windows 11 not searching within files: Since updating to Windows 11 have ongoing problem with search in file manager only searching document name, not contents. All search properties are set for searching content and I have done all recommended troubleshooting. At one point I managed to get it working after...
  5. Shortcut for a file within a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut for a file within a folder: to keep my desktop clean I group my apps into folders. I want to have a few shortcuts for my most used apps snd games. Now when assigning a shortcut via the properties screen the shortcut is only working while the folder in which the file is located is already opened. I could...
  6. Shortcut for a file within a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut for a file within a folder: to keep my desktop clean I group my apps into folders. I want to have a few shortcuts for my most used apps snd games. Now when assigning a shortcut via the properties screen the shortcut is only working while the folder in which the file is located is already opened. I could...
  7. Shortcut for a file within a folder

8. Search functionality within File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search functionality within File Explorer: I read a post from 2017 stating that the functionality to default search preference to "current folder" within the File Explorer is not possible. Has this since changed as it has now been 2 years and it is actually very frustrating to navigate through endless files or have...
  9. Search within Windows Explorer not working

in Cortana
    Search within Windows Explorer not working: Typing in the search box of Windows Explorer has no effect at all: no result showcase, no interface change, nothing basically happens when I'm typing in it. When asking help from Windows bot, I got this error message: "Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories :...
  10. Firefox Search shortcuts rolling out for Searching Made Faster

in Windows 10 News
    Firefox Search shortcuts rolling out for Searching Made Faster: Search is one of the most common activities that people do whenever they go online. At Mozilla, we are always looking for ways to streamline that experience to make it fast, easy and convenient for our users.Our Firefox browser provides a variety of options for people to...