Windows 10: Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?

Discus and support Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am not asking about backing up TO an external drive. submitted by /u/nintendo1889 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nintendo1889, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?

/u/nintendo1889, Apr 15, 2021

2. File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Apr 15, 2021
  3. Swapping out the USB drive to use File History.

Thanks for your help. Turns out there were a few more steps required but I was able to start using the new drive for my File History by following your suggestions with these extra steps.

1. Turn off File History via settings (This MUST be the first step)

2. Plug-in new USB drive and quick format as NTFS (record new drive letter for use in later step)

3. Remove old File History drive from the system

4. Restart PC

5. Use the "Backup to a different drive" section in Settings/Update/Backup/more options to assign new drive to File History

6. Turn on File History

7. Use the "Back up now" button to start the first backup to the new drive.

Note: The old drive will still contain the old File History files if you ever need to resort them.

Frank The Bank, Apr 15, 2021
  4. dch53 Win User

Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?

Can File History backup the contents of drives other than the C:\ drive?

Thanks Greg.

My Data drive, "M:\" is an internal drive, not a USB drive. I'm backing-up to an external 2TB USB drive.

As I said, I've used Windows Backup for many years and never had a problem.

File History seems attractive because it keeps a records of all file versions.

My questions still stand:

1. Can File History backup files on other than the C:\ drive? For example if I add M:\ to the "Backup these folders" list.
    2. Does File History create an initial, full backup of folders listed in "Back up these folders"?
    Regards, Dave.

dch53, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?

1. Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive? - Similar Threads - file history backup

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. Backup using File History files can't be deleted from USB drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup using File History files can't be deleted from USB drive: My new 256 GB Sandisk Ultra 3.0 USB thumb drive originally showed up in Disk Manager with a main partition of around 248 GB and a system partition of around 200 MB. I briefly used it in my Win10PC as a backup drive (Back up using File History). I later went back in and...
  4. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  5. Files/backup/File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files/backup/File History: I have an external hard drive for backups and files history, I went to storage and directed the files to its drive, so how do I stop 10 from sending it to onedrive and my external drive? Now that the program files are not on my C drive do I have to reinstall 10 again?...
  6. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  7. backup and "file history drive is disconnected"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup and "file history drive is disconnected": Cannot backup due to "file history drive is disconnected", cannot even manual backup even though File Explorer shows external drive is active. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-file-history-drive-is-disconnected/9cf94ae3-6d24-4a02-9546-45658511b850
  8. File History/File Backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History/File Backup: What is the best way to back up my computer using Windows 10. I was using File History and it is not completing the process. [ATTACH] The screen capture shows a backup on 10/15/2019 but there are no updated files showing up on my external drive....
  9. Change the backup drive for File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the backup drive for File History: I'd like to change the backup drive for File History. How can I stop File History on the older physical drive and start File History on a new physical drive?...
  10. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"