Windows 10: Can I access getting back a device I accidentally deleted from my MS acct?

Discus and support Can I access getting back a device I accidentally deleted from my MS acct? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I accidentally deleted one of my laptops in my Microsoft Account. Is the information available for a limited time to restore this laptop back into my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by geekiamnot_CJ, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Can I access getting back a device I accidentally deleted from my MS acct?

I accidentally deleted one of my laptops in my Microsoft Account. Is the information available for a limited time to restore this laptop back into my account?

:)

geekiamnot_CJ, Dec 27, 2018

2. 2 computers same acct...please help

Hi, I have 2 computers in my home. Both computers have the the user name and password when logging in. Also when I go to my Microsoft acct. both are listed under devices. I would like to have it so both devices have there own log in. If I delete the other computer listed in my acct. would this solve the problem? Also, would I be able to log into the other computer since it was deleted and how would I then create a new username and password? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!!

woodward2000, Dec 27, 2018
  3. NickTh Win User
    MS Acct vs Local acct

I think you can take extra mesurments like two-step authentication, but as you said, using an MS Acct needs you to be more carefull than a local one.

NickTh, Dec 27, 2018
  4. DavidY Win User

Can I access getting back a device I accidentally deleted from my MS acct?

MS Acct vs Local acct

But, when used as a login to Windows on a computer (which is all a local account can do) neither can a Microsoft Account!

With the exception that the very first time you login you need to provide a 2-step code, but the problem is it never seems to ask again for a 2-step code.

In the scenario that an attacker has access to my laptop and knows my password, then assuming I've logged in once, the 2-step verification provides no more security, except that the attacker might have access to more things with a Microsoft Account, such as easy access to email.

Sadly the 2-step verification doesn't seem to protect in this scenario.

You'll note who asked the first question on that tutorial. *Wink

Here's the thing - I'm actually quite a fan of 2-step verification, and if it asked me for a 2-step password when I logged into Windows (at least sometimes, or gave me a checkbox to not remember the device) then there would be an advantage over a local account. Hence my question on that tutorial. But as it is, 2-step verification is a bit pointless as far as logging into a computer is concerned, because it remembers the device, seemingly for ever, and an old-fashioned 1-step password is all you need to login.

Incidentally this page says:
    ... but I just tried logging back in to the test account I set up in Feb 2014 in Windows 8 when I was working through that tutorial. I haven't logged into that account on that computer for ages (certainly more than 2 months) but it still didn't ask me for an authenticator code.

Fair point - you can see who's logged in - although it's unhelpful that the MS Account suggests you logged into Internet Explorer when all you've done is log into a PC - that log could be clearer.

In general, my suspicion is that MS accounts have more ways to go wrong than a local one. I'm still not convinced that I should change my policy of keeping an admin-level local account on each device for maintenance and recovery purposes.

DavidY, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

Can I access getting back a device I accidentally deleted from my MS acct?

1. Can I access getting back a device I accidentally deleted from my MS acct? - Similar Threads - access getting device

2. How do i get back into my device if i accidentally disabled my device from my account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i get back into my device if i accidentally disabled my device from my account?: Hello, there was this thing that came up and said what devices has my education account on them so i disabled them without thinking about the laptop that i use for school. Now it won't let me sign in and it says "something went wrong, your organisation has disabled this...
  3. How do i get back into my device if i accidentally disabled my device from my account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i get back into my device if i accidentally disabled my device from my account?: Hello, there was this thing that came up and said what devices has my education account on them so i disabled them without thinking about the laptop that i use for school. Now it won't let me sign in and it says "something went wrong, your organisation has disabled this...
  4. How do i get back into my device if i accidentally disabled my device from my account?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. i accidentally deleted a file how can bring it back??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i accidentally deleted a file how can bring it back??: i accidentally deleted a file i need to bring it back please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-deleted-a-file-how-can-bring-it/fe00da0b-8ec9-41ad-9ba3-922c736c617e
  6. i accidentally deleted a file how can bring it back??

i accidentally deleted a file how can bring it back??: i accidentally deleted a file i need to bring it back please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-deleted-a-file-how-can-bring-it/fe00da0b-8ec9-41ad-9ba3-922c736c617e
  7. Accidentally deleted biometrics. I cannot get it back?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Accidentally deleted biometrics. I cannot get it back?: I was trying to fix my Windows 10 Hello Fax from not recognizing my new camera in my new super fast Dell Computer PC and the troubleshooting said to delete it the Biometrics file. I did so and now cannot get it back. How can I retrieve it please?...
  8. True Key I accidentally deleted it. How do I get it back?'

True Key I accidentally deleted it. How do I get it back?': I have a HP TouchSmart 15 upgraded to Windows 10 and I accidentally deleted my true key. How do I get it back? I thought it was part of Mcafee Security Program. What it exactly is it. Is it face recognition? Is it my Windows key, god I hope not. Please help. Im afraid...
  9. I cannot get a device back on my bluetooth after I accidentally removed it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I cannot get a device back on my bluetooth after I accidentally removed it?: I accidently removed a device from my Bluetooth how do I get it back as it doesn't show up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-get-a-device-back-on-my-bluetooth-after-i/0a791007-67f1-4b85-ab7f-f78ec42c2eef
  10. I accidentally deleted important text from a sticky note, can I somehow get this text back

I accidentally deleted important text from a sticky note, can I somehow get this text back: The title says it all I believe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-deleted-important-text-from-a/6388b71b-0458-427c-baee-1d50d5f9c7f2