Windows 10: Can I activate Windows 10 on a new device with a product key I used on an old PC?

Discus and support Can I activate Windows 10 on a new device with a product key I used on an old PC? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Note: I used Command Prompt to Uninstall the product key from the old PC.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SameeraBaig, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Can I activate Windows 10 on a new device with a product key I used on an old PC?

Note: I used Command Prompt to Uninstall the product key from the old PC.

:)

SameeraBaig, Feb 24, 2021
  2. FinZak Win User

Product key association disable on old pc

Hey,

I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB stick. I was surprised to see that windows was automatically activated after that. I did some digging and found out that it is using my product key, which i use now in my own new pc. My friend does not have his own product key, the idea was that he just uses the unactivated windows with limited features.

I uninstalled my Windows 10 product key via command prompt in friends computer (as i understand this is only local solution, if he reinstall windows or clicks the active button, it reactivates automatically with my product key) and now it says windows is not activated, but my product key is still shown with Produkey app in his pc. So far windows is still activated my own pc.

My questions:

1. Is this all i need to do?
    2. How do i get rid of product key showing still with product key showing apps on my friend's computer?
    3. Is there a way to get rid of association of my product key on that old pc that i sold to friend?

EDIT: I originally installed windows 10 via upgrade option from Windows 7, if that matters.

FinZak, Feb 24, 2021
  3. Activate new device with old device' product key

No, you can't do what you are suggesting, because the Windows 10 Pro license you mentioned is pre-loaded on the old machine. OEM licenses as they are called are not transferable. Only if the Windows 10 Pro was a retail store bought license would be able
    to do that. Otherwise, you have to purchase an entirely new full version license for the Windows 10 Home computer you now have.

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Go to Store

Click the $99 button the make your purchase the follow the on screen instructions.

Learn more about transferring licenses:

Andre Da Costa, Feb 24, 2021
  4. RK1997 Win User

Can I activate Windows 10 on a new device with a product key I used on an old PC?

Using the current device's product key on my another device.

Hello,
    I tried this before. On newer PC, activation was unsuccessful.

RK1997, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

Can I activate Windows 10 on a new device with a product key I used on an old PC?

1. Can I activate Windows 10 on a new device with a product key I used on an old PC? - Similar Threads - activate device product

2. can i use my windows 10 product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i use my windows 10 product key for new pc?: my current desktop has windows 11 it was offered as a free upgrade from w10. and i was wondering if i could use the same product key for my new pc? and if not, do i have to buy a new license?...
  3. can i use my windows 10 product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i use my windows 10 product key for new pc?: my current desktop has windows 11 it was offered as a free upgrade from w10. and i was wondering if i could use the same product key for my new pc? and if not, do i have to buy a new license?...
  4. If my old computer is dead, can I use the windows 10 activation key that I had, in a new PC ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If my old computer is dead, can I use the windows 10 activation key that I had, in a new PC ?: My old computer is dead I was wandering if I can use the same windows 10 activation key that I had, in a new pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-my-old-computer-is-dead-can-i-use-the-windows/d85eb9c5-df62-49d5-8961-743e0e9b3e65
  5. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?: I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-old-not-in-use-laptop-with-win7-product/7176e101-a954-4b38-9d24-5c7a87b1d08d
  6. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?: I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-old-not-in-use-laptop-with-win7-product/7176e101-a954-4b38-9d24-5c7a87b1d08d
  7. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can I use an old Windows 10 USB with a new product key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use an old Windows 10 USB with a new product key?: Title. I received a disk instead of a USB with my Windows 10 product key, problem is I don't have a disk drive and I don't have a USB laying around for me to download Windows from right now. So can I just download off the old USB and enter the new product code? submitted by...
  9. Using an old Windows 10 product key for a new PC build

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using an old Windows 10 product key for a new PC build: I got a laptop 2 years ago that came with windows 10 on it. Juice spilled on it, and now it's broken. Won't turn on or light up even when plugged in. Is there an easy way I can recover my Windows 10 product key from it, or does Microsoft prevent you from doing this? I would...
  10. Getting new Hardware, can I use the old Product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting new Hardware, can I use the old Product key?: Hello, I bought the Windows 7 Home Premium CD years ago and later upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. Now I want to get new Motherboard, CPU, Storage and RAM. 1. Can I use the old Product key Windows 7 Home Premium to activate Windows 10 Home after I reinstall it on the...