Windows 10: Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 OEM?

Discus and support Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 OEM? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I want to completely format my old PC and reinstall Windows. According to ShowKey Plus it has Windows 7 OEM key in firmware, does this mean that when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Freshby69, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Freshby69 Win User

Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 OEM?

I want to completely format my old PC and reinstall Windows. According to ShowKey Plus it has Windows 7 OEM key in firmware, does this mean that when I reinstall Windows 10 it will automatically activate using this key, if not is there any way to activate this without buying a new key. Thanks in advance.

:)

Freshby69, Jul 27, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Laurijan Win User
    Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

I bought Windows 7 Pro OEM key from G2Play.net for 12€ to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro - worked like a charm but be advised if you buy a OEM key you can not download the Win 7 iso from microsoft and have to get it elsewhere.

Laurijan, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 OEM?

windows 7 8 or 10

We can kick Windows 8.1 to the curb right away. Windows 10, in tablet mode, is effectively identical...not that I would recommend using tablet mode.

The only advantage Windows 8.1 has over Windows 10 is Windows Media Center. Windows 10 doesn't have it and likely will never support it. Microsoft wants you to buy an Xbox One and use that, instead of your computer, for media, and then stream it to your Windows 10 machine from the Xbox One. Windows Media Center on 7 seems to not be getting updates anymore (worked off of Vista guide info which shut down). Windows Media Center on 8.1 costs $10 to upgrade on Pro or $100 to upgrade on Home.

The Windows 7 upgrade (should still work for about 10 months yet) requires:
    1) Install Windows 7.
    2) Activate Windows 7.
    3) Upgrade to Windows 10.
    4) Activate Windows 10.
    At this point, you could either stay with Windows 10 or downgrade to Windows 7 by doing a clean install.

Personally, I would go with Windows 10. It has some bugs but it is pretty good overall.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 OEM?

1. Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 OEM? - Similar Threads - activate OEM

2. Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change: I've a PC with valid OEM Windows 11 Pro OEM license. After changing SSD to a bigger one, MS refuses to re-activate the licensethe status of the license has remaining 1000 rearm counts...
  3. Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change: I've a PC with valid OEM Windows 11 Pro OEM license. After changing SSD to a bigger one, MS refuses to re-activate the licensethe status of the license has remaining 1000 rearm counts...
  4. I can't activate Windows with an OEM license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I can't activate Windows with an OEM license: Hello! I bought an Intel nuc 10 i5FNKN and it came with a version of Windows 10. I did a fresh installation and it won't let me activate the license with the key on the back cover that says "Windows 10 pro for OEM software" it's very strange and never had happened to me...
  5. I can't activate Windows with an OEM license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't activate Windows with an OEM license: Hello! I bought an Intel nuc 10 i5FNKN and it came with a version of Windows 10. I did a fresh installation and it won't let me activate the license with the key on the back cover that says "Windows 10 pro for OEM software" it's very strange and never had happened to me...
  6. I can't activate Windows with an OEM license

7. Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard: Hello,I purchased a Windows 7 Pro license in the form of a sticker and installed it on my computer. However, now the motherboard of the computer is damaged, and I replaced it with a similar one same model. Can I use the sticker for the damaged motherboard to activate the new...
  8. Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard

Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard: Hello,I purchased a Windows 7 Pro license in the form of a sticker and installed it on my computer. However, now the motherboard of the computer is damaged, and I replaced it with a similar one same model. Can I use the sticker for the damaged motherboard to activate the new...
  9. Can I use an OEM activation code from Win 8.1 for Win 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use an OEM activation code from Win 8.1 for Win 10?: I bought a laptop pre-installed with Win 8.1 many years ago. I had intended to upgrade to Win 10 from within Win 8.1. Unfortunately I completely wiped the hard drive. I have since managed to do a fresh Win 10 install on the same hard drive on the same laptop. I have a record...
  10. Can I use an OEM activation code from Win 8.1 for Win 10?

Can I use an OEM activation code from Win 8.1 for Win 10?: I bought a laptop pre-installed with Win 8.1 many years ago. I had intended to upgrade to Win 10 from within Win 8.1. Unfortunately I completely wiped the hard drive. I have since managed to do a fresh Win 10 install on the same hard drive on the same laptop. I have a record...