Windows 10: Can I add folders to a bootable USB drive

Discus and support Can I add folders to a bootable USB drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Thank you for the clarification. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Nisko Win User

Can I add folders to a bootable USB drive

Thank you for the clarification.

Nisko, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Nisko Win User

I have a 64GB USB thumb drive that I want to make bootable. Since I'll have a lot of space left over, can I add folders with non-bootable portable software inside each folder? My reasoning is: When I use the drive to boot from, it will not recognize the folders I've added. Thank you............

:)

Nisko, Apr 5, 2018
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 5, 2018
  4. LAPIII Win User

How can I create a bootable USB drive?

This in the page I was directed to: Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File). The link for the "Microsoft Software Download Windows 10 page" redirects to the same page. Does the tool not exist anymore or is this a glitch? Where might
    i report this?

LAPIII, Apr 5, 2018
  5. Winuser Win User
    I have done it and never had a problem with my bootable flash drive.

Winuser, Apr 5, 2018
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Of course you can.

But chances are you are going to format that drive sooner or later, especially if you use it for W10.

I have a W7 USB stick installer, with a bunch of software on it.

What do you mean "when you boot from the stick it does not recognize the folders" ?

It`s not suppose to until Windows has been installed.

Plug the usb stick into any PC with an operating system on it, can you open and use/install the programs in those folders ?

AddRAM, Apr 5, 2018
  7. Hayden93 Win User
    Hi there.

Honestly, you can do it, however there is a slight chance that it can mess with the recognition of the folders.
    I would highly recommend against it and have a USB for each bootable and then just a USB that you store your data on.

-Hayden

Hayden93, Apr 5, 2018
  8. Berton Win User

Agreed, it shouldn't be a problem. Just don't change the format of the bootable USB drive or it may not work. The MCT/Media Creation Tool will reformat the USB drive as FAT32 during the process in creating it so be sure to save any data you need, that exists nowhere else. I use a 16GB drive, use the choice of Both to get 32-bit and 64-bit and add the succeeding updates as they come out, both 32-bit and 64-bit. I don't get the smaller Delta version of the updates as they assume the computer is fully up-to-date.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
  9. I have a 128GB thumbdrive which I made to a bootable Windows Setup Media. The rest of the drive I have filled with various files and portable apps and drivers for various hardware, I might need. No issues so far.

If your Bootable media can't find your thumbdrive and your folders, then it means only that you are missing a driver. Try booting from an USB2.0 port. USB3.0 drivers will most likely not be available until you manually add them to your bootable drive, thus making it impossible to read anything from the stick during setup sessions.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Take a look at our very own Kyhi's Rescue Disk right here at TenForums.

Can I add folders to a bootable USB drive [​IMG]

This is built around the WinPE environment which is more or less the same runtime as in the Windows Recovery (WinRE) environment. He's not only done quite a lot of this: he's also figured out how to make those programs usable within that environment so that it can assist with recovery and repair activities while booted into the rescue disk. Great stuff!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
  11. Nisko Win User
    Now, I have more questions. Please stay tuned........

Nisko, Apr 5, 2018
  12. cereberus Win User
    Biggest issue is that a bootable flash drive needs to be fat32 formatted, so if any individual files are over 4GB in size, they cannot be written to the drive.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
  13. Can I add folders to a bootable USB drive

This isn't entirely true. You can use NTFS in MBR mode (which needs a bit of boot sector editing magic and other partition configuration magic) but in UEFI the boot partition need to be FAT32, but rest can be NTFS. All this could however be old information for Windows 10 and I haven't tested this in a while.

During a time in the past where I did heavy Linux and Windows filesystem and recovery tool experimentation I saw a good guide on how to do all this. But now I can't find it... need to look a bit more.

Maybe I have to experiment on this topic and write a tutorial. There is a lot one can do with any media when you have the right tools. Most tools are however missing from Windows and one needs to go to a Linux bash to get things done properly. At least it used to be this way. Of course if one is an Assembly GURU and remember from memory how bootsector instructions should look in hexadecimal, all this could be done in a HEX editor and DD:ed onto the thumb drive. ;-)

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  14. Nisko Win User
    So, if I understand correctly, unless I know what to do if I want to format my flash drives as NTFS, I must keep them formatted as FAT32. So far, I don't know what to do if I wanted to format them as NTFS. If I did format them as NTFS, is there any advantage?

Also, if I make a bootable drive, my understanding now (after the previous replies), is that it's OK to add folders with portable apps inside since to bootable portion of the drive will just ignore them.

To "slicendice": I didn't understand the post #10 (just above). Would you please reword it? Thank you.

I have Kyhi's iso. Does anyone recommend any other portable apps that would be helpful as repair tools? Does anyone know if Kaspersky Internet Protection has a portable app? What I'm doing is collecting a set of flash drives on a key ring so that I can help others fix their computers. (I'm also making them for myself, of course). I get asked many time to help fix a computer and I figure these flash drive tools will be very helpful. I'd just like to make sure I have on them whatever apps you folks consider important. Thank you.

Nisko, Apr 7, 2018
  15. Winuser Win User
    You want to use FAT32 when you format your flash drive.

Winuser, Apr 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I add folders to a bootable USB drive - Similar Threads - add folders bootable

2. Bootable USB Drive Not Showing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bootable USB Drive Not Showing: Hi, please help, I still can't boot my laptop properly.This problem is the continuation from this...
  3. Can I use the empty space on my bootable USB drives for storage?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I use the empty space on my bootable USB drives for storage?: Hi Long story. But I suddenly find myself urgently needing some disk storage but without the chance to get hold of new hardware. I have several USB flash (SSD) drives which are either emergency/bootable disks for 1) Windows 10 disc image / create installation media or2)...
  4. Creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...
  5. bootable usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    bootable usb drive: I am having issues with a new dell 3781 laptop with win 10 pro. The dell os recovery file installed on a direct download to usb drive won't boot but goes directly to the desktop. To test this I need any bootable usb file software from any source, preferably a small file....
  6. How can I create a bootable Win RE in USB Flash drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I create a bootable Win RE in USB Flash drive?: Hello, How can I create a bootable Win RE in USB Flash drive? Thanks Daniel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-create-a-bootable-win-re-in-usb-flash/2953414f-1231-493c-8af2-58d2990fbf40
  7. Clean installaton - Can a hard drive infect the bootable usb?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean installaton - Can a hard drive infect the bootable usb?: Hi everyone I'm new to the forums *Smile , I'm not knowledgable with computers and the like so please don't mind me asking this question. I soon will be installing a clean installation of windows 10 on one of my computers (and doing a clean installation for the first time...
  8. Add USB UEFI HDD as second bootable drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Add USB UEFI HDD as second bootable drive?: Not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes. My MOBO died in the small computer I use to control my Ham Radio Gear. I went out and got a cheap replacement (HP Pavilion 570-p017c) which came with Win10 Home and a 1 TB HDD formatted in GPT (only 2 SATA ports..other is...
  9. Bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Bootable USB drive: Hi I have been speaking to Macrium via Facebook and decided I will go for the full version and have the security of a full image if my notebook ever goes wrong.... plus they gave me a 20% discount code so that is good *Smile Just a couple of questions.... 1. I want...
  10. Determine whether a usb drive is bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    Determine whether a usb drive is bootable: Short of rebooting, is there some way to tell whether a usb drive is bootable? 105327

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i add folder rufus win