Windows 10: can i and how do i change desktop icon text color to black?

Discus and support can i and how do i change desktop icon text color to black? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; White text does not show well on light colored desktop background color... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by gary_wow1, Oct 25, 2019.

1. gary_wow1 Win User

can i and how do i change desktop icon text color to black?

White text does not show well on light colored desktop background color

:)

gary_wow1, Oct 25, 2019
  2. d2thomas Win User

Desktop Icon Color Change - Accessibility Option

Hello tenforums, I hope you can help.

A friend of mine who recently upgraded to Windows 10 is legally blind and is struggling with some accessibility options. Here is what we are struggling with: We need to change the font color of desktop icons to black. Certain contrasts are more visible for some impairments and in this case, a yellow background with black bold icon text is the best condition.

What I've tried:
    • Tried high contrast theme / mode
    • Tried to modify regedit based on a suggestion for 8.1 here.

Where I've looked:
    • Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Advanced - Performance
    • Personalize - Change Desktop Icons
    • Personalize - Colors
    • Control Panel - Personalization
    • Display Settings
    • Themes - Theme Settings

I was able to get the text black when using the white high contrast mode, but that option won't work. While it does change the icon text to black, it also takes over many other options that deliver a less than desirable contrast for the user. We originally were thinking we could start with the high contrast theme, save as another theme and then systematically roll back the changes we didn't like, leaving the black text. Does not work - when in high contrast mode it effectively locks out your ability to make certain changes.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

d2thomas, Oct 25, 2019
  3. To change Desktop icon text color.

Hello Vivek,

We suggest you to follow the steps given in the link below. This will also work in Windows 10:

How does one change the desktop icon text color in
    Win10

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore,
    make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following
    article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. How to back up and restore the registry in Windows:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

You can also refer to this link as well.

Let us know what happens.

Anthony Cato, Oct 25, 2019
  4. can i and how do i change desktop icon text color to black?

How does one change the desktop icon text color in Win10?

I find this discussion "strange" based on what I'm seeing on my machines.

What I see is white text with a black outline shading. So no matter what the color of the background the text is always readable.

What's more I tried the steps outlined, as in picking a orange as a solid color and the text color didn't change, (still quite visible white with black outline shading). And needless to say it didn't change when I changed to a picture for the background.

Maybe this has changed since the suggestion was posted?

A_User_Here, Oct 25, 2019
Thema:

can i and how do i change desktop icon text color to black?

1. can i and how do i change desktop icon text color to black? - Similar Threads - change desktop icon

2. How to change color of text assigned to icons on desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change color of text assigned to icons on desktop?: I have several icons on my desktop and I would like to change a color of text assigned to them, for example : from white to red. I don't want to change anything else, only this part. Is there a functionality on Windows 11 which give such an ability?...
  3. How to change color of text assigned to icons on desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change color of text assigned to icons on desktop?: I have several icons on my desktop and I would like to change a color of text assigned to them, for example : from white to red. I don't want to change anything else, only this part. Is there a functionality on Windows 11 which give such an ability?...
  4. Desktop Icon Font Color - How do I change the font color of the text that describes desktop...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icon Font Color - How do I change the font color of the text that describes desktop...: Desktop Icon Font Color - How do I change the font color of the text that describes desktop icons Windows11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-font-color-how-do-i-change-the-font/16cd1e04-287b-464d-9aae-77476ea85128
  5. Desktop Icon Font Color - How do I change the font color of the text that describes desktop...

Desktop Icon Font Color - How do I change the font color of the text that describes desktop...: Desktop Icon Font Color - How do I change the font color of the text that describes desktop icons Windows11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-font-color-how-do-i-change-the-font/16cd1e04-287b-464d-9aae-77476ea85128
  6. How do I change the desktop colors?

How do I change the desktop colors?: I have been using the Personalization command on W11 to change some of my colors, especially the desktop color from black to a color I might choose. However after choosing the color I would like to use and clicking to X to go back to the desktop the desktop is still black. I...
  7. How can I change desktop icons to black.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change desktop icons to black.: help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-desktop-icons-to-black/e20db909-adef-4dda-916c-799ca3bf4fe3
  8. How do I change the desktop icon text color?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change the desktop icon text color?: The articles I found online are either ancient or they do not work. The general idea is to change to orange as a solid color, which supposedly changes the text to black, It doesn't. What's the point about personalizing if something that basic is impossible?...
  9. How do I change the text select color?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change the text select color?: When you select text (that it, when you double click a word or hold shift with arrows) the default color is blue. Some websites change this. Is there a way I can do it? If there's a way with WinAero Tweaker, I'd love to hear it too. submitted by /u/PeteyGANG [link]...
  10. Desktop Icon text changing color and shading

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icon text changing color and shading: Hello all! I have a unique question I haven't found an answer to. My 85 year old grandfather has an old Windows 7 computer we recently upgraded to 10. So far he loves it! But... His desktop icon text is normally black with no shadow, but sometimes after he closes programs...