Windows 10: can i avoid downloading from net in the start menu ?

Discus and support can i avoid downloading from net in the start menu ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have a look at this tutorial How to Uninstall Desktop Apps and Windows Apps in Windows 10 https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drugo, Feb 11, 2016.

1. drugo Win User

can i avoid downloading from net in the start menu ?

hi thanks
    great guide!

hi
    in short the best way is to uninstall and get rid of unwanted applications
    may i ask you a question ?
    it's offtopic , but shortly is you operation system in german ? if it's in german could you give a look @ why can't i install 3d chess game ? - Windows 10 Forums
    thanks

drugo, Feb 14, 2016
  2. WHS
    whs Win User

I have never used any system in German - neither in my 30 years as professional programmer nor with Windows. I do not understand the German terminology.

3. dalchina New Member
    Thought.. how much internet traffic do they actually generate? Do the live tiles actually access the internet at all when the start menu isn't displayed?

I watched the News tile update whilst watching my task manager.. the internet usage was very brief. (Don't know how frequent it is).

dalchina, Feb 14, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

I think the live tiles do access the internet to update weather the start menu is displayed or not. I've seen my Action Menu get updated with the latest News sometimes. And they were both closed. Doesn't take up much of your internet usage at all.

OldMike65, Feb 14, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    That is because it is using RSS to update that information.

bro67, Feb 15, 2016
  6. drugo Win User
    hi
    honestly i don't know
    what can i say it that antivirus activity is impressive , the number of scanned files are so many that i can't even compare to windows 7
    and another point is that to too many threats (malwares) come from the Internet

drugo, Feb 15, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Odd- is that W. Defender or another? Never had a problem like that with Win 10 except with Defender on an upgrade, initially after the upgrade when I really struggled to gain control of my CPU time for that and another reason. But that was June last year.

Is that activity solely related to live tiles.. or sthg else?

dalchina, Feb 15, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

Probably best you stay with Windows 7 then.

9. Britton Win User
    One way I recently discovered if you're looking to have control over the specific Windows 10 automation's and background internet apps would be to use this handy tool. You can find it here: OO ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10

It's called O&O Shutup10 and it allows you to use simple slide buttons in a stand alone program to disable pretty much all of Windows background processes, including Windows update, handy if your on a metered connection. If you turn off everything though it will diminish the user experience of Windows 10 as all the handy features it offers will be stopped. Don't worry you can simply turn them back on via the same software.

Also as other have said the simplest way to kill the live tiles is to right click the tile and choose "turn off live tiles", then unpin it from the start menu if you don't plan on using it. Removing the apps themselves is possible, I think CCleaner will allow you to remove them if you insist, but I did that and it damaged the OS and had to run a script command to bring them back to fix it. Some components are required and will break areas of the operating system if they are removed. Such as Cortana, removing that kind of wrecked my start menu.

All you can do is remove them and see what happens if your hell bent on it I guess.

Now if I could just figure out why my Live Tile for the mail app no longer notifies me of new mail messages. Grrr!!

Britton, Feb 15, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    Have think then mate.

I like you - your posts are enthusiastic and joyful but you have already answered your own question. Don't play around with your tool.

You are better off using WUMT

11. mrgeek Win User
    "Removing the apps themselves is possible, I think CCleaner will allow you to remove them if you insist, but I did that and it damaged the OS"
    You can remove them but they are regenerated by Windows Update. In CC Cleaner, if you remove some, check back a couple days later, do a sort by install date and you'll see what I mean. They are either re-installed or updated so it's futile to uninstall selected apps. Just don't use them, they take up little space.

mrgeek, Feb 15, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    Rubbish. I have a 29GB partition set aside for windows.

The apps I removed were more than 1 GB which is pretty big. Solitaire and the CandyCrush were the worst space hogs (about half).

The apps are not regenerated - only when you upgrade to a new version (or build) of Windows.

I wish people would understand the difference between update and upgrade. It is not that complicated is it?

13. Britton Win User

LMAO, I know man, I know. I only launched the tool, I like the live tiles. They add life to the start menu and give some eye candy, yeah! I do not know why the mail tile no longer updates it was working fine and just stopped on its own. It could be something I did or perhaps its just buggy in my case. Probably something I did that seemed unrelated but was.

I could start a post about on here but I don't think that would be very productive. I haven't even researched it on my own yet and failure to do that would be laziness on my part. Perhaps it only updates after the messages have been there a few mins/hours. I usually check the mail immediately when an inbound notification of new mail pops up in the notification area. Next time I'll wait and see if the live tile updates after a few minutes. I'm always exploring the system and its various properties, call me a tinkerer if you like, but its what I like to do when I'm just hanging out with nothing else better to do.

The issue I mentioned in the earlier post was carried out on the upgrade install. That was me trying in vain to make Windows 10 act more like Windows 7 I guess. Hadn't gotten used to it at that time. So its unrelated to my current live tile issue. This install has been running pretty good because it was a fresh install I carried out a week or so after the upgrade. Just couldn't stand all the leftover crap from the Windows 7 install, seemed so messy to me anyway.

Britton, Feb 15, 2016
  14. drugo Win User
    hi
    never used windows defender , only eset smart security (nod32 + nod32 firewall)

drugo, Feb 15, 2016
  15. drugo Win User
    hi
    thanks
    yes great application!
    i have to try it again

drugo, Feb 15, 2016
Thema:

1. can i avoid downloading from net in the start menu ? - Similar Threads - avoid downloading net

2. How can I open the start menu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I open the start menu: My start menu will not open and neither will my email. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-open-the-start-menu/2156f84c-6452-4863-aa91-15724f7ebf83
  3. How to avoid duplicate download.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to avoid duplicate download.: Good, I would like to know if there is a way to avoid downloading the files again and save its history, to explain it I will use as an example the extension "Powerful Pixiv Downloader" among its functions is to avoid downloading the same image, even if after a while you see...
  4. How to avoid duplicate download.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to avoid duplicate download.: Good, I would like to know if there is a way to avoid downloading the files again and save its history, to explain it I will use as an example the extension "Powerful Pixiv Downloader" among its functions is to avoid downloading the same image, even if after a while you see...
  5. "Download" icons in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Download" icons in Start Menu: Hello all,On my laptop which I got in October of last year, I've noticed that in the Play folder on the Start menu, the contents will appear correctly if the folder isn't open. However, if I do open the folder, five out of the six icons will appear as a download icon. These...
  6. "Download" icons in Start Menu

"Download" icons in Start Menu: Hello all,On my laptop which I got in October of last year, I've noticed that in the Play folder on the Start menu, the contents will appear correctly if the folder isn't open. However, if I do open the folder, five out of the six icons will appear as a download icon. These...
  7. "Download" icons in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Can't Download apps from the net

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't Download apps from the net: There is no admin on my pc and i need to download apps, what to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-download-apps-from-the-net/104b799c-abcf-48d9-bb8d-eb777ec41629
  9. How can I remove programs from start menu Programs?

How can I remove programs from start menu Programs?: I have a lot of programs installed and have my own toolbars to access them. Seeing all those programs on the Programs list of the start menu is distracting. All I really want is the folders that house subprograms. The only option offered is to uninstall but not to remove from...
  10. Can i shrink start menu ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can i shrink start menu ?: Hello. Is there anyway to shrink the size of the start menu ? i HAVE hovered over the edge and two arrows appear pointing in different directions,but when i drag the start menu area to the LEFT it just pops back to where it was. The picture below shows with red dashes the...