Windows 10: Can I backup my laptop disk image and use it on another laptop?

Discus and support Can I backup my laptop disk image and use it on another laptop? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Both computers have the latest version of Windows 10 Home Edition installed. A unique pursuit to be sure, but here's why I ask. My neighbor had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sdmike1974, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Can I backup my laptop disk image and use it on another laptop?

Both computers have the latest version of Windows 10 Home Edition installed.

A unique pursuit to be sure, but here's why I ask.

My neighbor had to replace her bad hard drive.

I used a flash drive with Windows 10 to get it up and running again. Unfortunately, she had not backed up her system image to an external drive.

At this point I was curious if I can use an external drive backup from my laptop to copy (restore) my system image (which includes Microsoft Office) to her laptop so she doesn't have to purchase Office again.

Anyone know a definite (as opposed to a speculative) reason why this cannot be done.

Michael Thal

Senior Software Engineer (retired)

:)

sdmike1974, Jun 21, 2019
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Jun 21, 2019
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Cleaning off a Mac Laptop

cleaning it?

Step 1: buy about a half gallon of gasoline.

Step 2: douse laptop in gasoline.

Step 3: toss a burning match onto laptop.

Step 4: watch the fire clense your laptop.

4. Can I backup my laptop disk image and use it on another laptop?

Laptop hard drive upgrade

To replace a hard drive on a laptop is a little more troublesome than a desktop. 1st as most people here suggest you will need some sort of a backup disk just in case. Also be sure when buying the new Hard Disk is compatible with your model. And i would strongly suggest you install a new system and start from scratch because there are far too many problems that can occur when transferring system files.

scoutingwraith, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

Can I backup my laptop disk image and use it on another laptop?

1. Can I backup my laptop disk image and use it on another laptop? - Similar Threads - backup laptop disk

2. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?: I have this particular problem trying to clone/move my Windows to another, bigger hard drive.The problem is that when trying to restore saved image backup to the new drive there is such message:Interestingly, if I first install new Windows on that drive, then create image and...
  3. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?: I have this particular problem trying to clone/move my Windows to another, bigger hard drive.The problem is that when trying to restore saved image backup to the new drive there is such message:Interestingly, if I first install new Windows on that drive, then create image and...
  4. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Restore a backup from one laptop to another laptop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore a backup from one laptop to another laptop: Hello, I just broke my laptop (Asus S510UN, it's an i7, 16GB, NVME) it slipped from my hands and fell. I am looking to buy another of the same configuration may not be the same brand. Too bad, because it was recent (2018), worked very well and I took a while to install all...
  6. Used hard disk in another laptop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Used hard disk in another laptop?: Howdy, my brother got a pc for his birthday a few days ago to replace his laptop Since the present was from my other brother, he thought that he has a hard disk in his laptop and therefore doesn't have to buy a new one. So he just put the hard disk of his laptop into the PC....
  7. Can I link one laptop to another? the screen on my laptop is b

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I link one laptop to another? the screen on my laptop is b: The screen on my laptop is broken so a friend loaned me hers. I know you can use a HDMI cord to link your laptop and tv can I use a cord to link from laptop to laptop? * Moved from Education/Forms * OS not specified...
  8. Backup/Image of my Laptop with a SSD

Backup/Image of my Laptop with a SSD: My relatively new Lenono Laptop's Windows 10 SSD suddenly stopped working and the shop said it is DEAD. So upgraded the SSD to a 1 tb but I needs some advise. I would like to get a Backup or Image software of my 1tb SSD to a 1-5tb HD in case is fails again. What would be...
  9. Using An Old Laptop For Backup

Using An Old Laptop For Backup: Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to re-purpose an old laptop as an external backup medium. Here is the current situation: 1. We have 4 Windows 10 laptops at home 2. I have an old (about 8 years) Windows 7 laptop What are the options to use the old laptop...
  10. How can I make a disk image backup?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I make a disk image backup?: How can I make a disk image backup in WINDOWS 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-make-a-disk-image-backup/6941df78-1339-4c8e-a894-b1d40106b24e