Windows 10: Can I backup to an internal drive?

Discus and support Can I backup to an internal drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 with Dell that I purchased desktop that came with Windows 10. I back up my files to external hard drive without a problem but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by azoreseuropa, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Can I backup to an internal drive?

I am using Windows 10 with Dell that I purchased desktop that came with Windows 10.

I back up my files to external hard drive without a problem but I want to back up my files to internal hard drive as well. Both. I just want to be safe. I click add driver but it didn't find anything.. When I reconnect my external drive and it found its driver. What about internal hard drive like C: ? I want it to add to C: as well. I don't understand ?

Sorry about my English. Cheers.

:)

azoreseuropa, Jul 27, 2017

2. Can I restore an old backup after reinstalling an old version of Windows 10?

I'm going to be installing the version of Windows prior to the Fall Creators Update to help with performance in VR. In the video i watched by SweViver he said the only downside to doing this is that you
    lose all of your data, but isn't that avoidable? Couldn't i just backup all my downloads, documents, program files, and steam stuff onto a flash drive, reinstall Windows, and then restore all of that stuff without having compatibility issues?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

DanielDalCanto, Jul 27, 2017
  3. Can I restore an old backup after reinstalling an old version of Windows 10?

You can restore your backed up data but you will need to re-install your programs and recreate your various settings.

Frederik Long, Jul 27, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Can I backup to an internal drive?

Most desktops allow adding more physical drives and work fine. The key is that one not do backups to a partition on the same drive the Operating System is installed on, if a drive has major failures all partitions could be lost. All drives need at least one partition, adding in a second hard drive doesn't add to C:, usually becomes D: or other letter usable for storage of items such as a backup.

Berton, Jul 27, 2017
  5. So I just use E: as my external hard drive to focus and backup from C: to E: ?

azoreseuropa, Jul 27, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    If you don't have a second hard drive in the computer then Yes, you can use an External drive for backups.

Berton, Jul 28, 2017
  7. Great. Thanks.

azoreseuropa, Jul 28, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

There is one advantage to doing a backup to the same physical internal HDD, just a different partition. If something should happen to the Windows install itself, and not the physical hard drive, it is a much quicker restore from the internal HDD than the external drive.

NavyLCDR, Jul 28, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    I have my OS on a SSD (drive C) and user files on a HDD. The HDD has two partitions - one for user files and one for backups. I backup the OS (using Reflect) to the HDD backup partition and backup the OS & user files to an external HDD also. That way I have two OS backups and can store the external HDD in a safe place.

Steve C, Jul 28, 2017
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    for EXTERNAL backup of the OS you can use an SSD connected to USB3 port via a sata--->USB3 connector -- or directly if your pc has an accessible esata direct connection. Even with USB3 the restore from an external SSD will be FAST. I prefer that method as one doesn't need restores that often (hopefully) and especially with a laptop I prefer not to "duplicate" data on the laptops internal drives as there's usually limited HDD space. If travelling carrying an extra SSD isn't a problem --probably weighs even less than a typical USB stick !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I backup to an internal drive? - Similar Threads - backup internal drive

2. Creating a system image backup from The C drive to the internal D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a system image backup from The C drive to the internal D drive: Hi there,I want to do a clean windows 11 installation and i want to backup my Apps,games,files,documents and etc. Except for the drivers which they're causing problem's.I have 2 SSD drives, 1- C/Drive for system and windows and 2- The D/Drive for anything else...Can i create...
  3. Can I use an external drive to swap internal memory drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use an external drive to swap internal memory drives?: I have two internal drives, both 1 TB each. I purchased a 2 TB internal drive that I want to install, but I don't have enough space on the current drives to push everything to one drive, remove the other one, and install the 2 TB one. Can I use an external drive to transfer a...
  4. Can I use an external drive to swap internal memory drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use an external drive to swap internal memory drives?: I have two internal drives, both 1 TB each. I purchased a 2 TB internal drive that I want to install, but I don't have enough space on the current drives to push everything to one drive, remove the other one, and install the 2 TB one. Can I use an external drive to transfer a...
  5. system Backup From C drive to D drive both internal drives

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    system Backup From C drive to D drive both internal drives: ok I have been on the insiders program for awhile. I am tired of having to reinstall my system completely when the updates give me BSOD or black screens of death and trying everything to get past it. Anyway, I have tried Macrium, Aomei and Acronis using the usb media recovery...
  6. Can I backup Programs in One Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I backup Programs in One Drive: I may have to do a reset of my windows 10 Desktop, Can I backup my programs as well as my files to OneDrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-backup-programs-in-one-drive/36ec459d-a75e-4f01-8788-56d86f7a6fd7
  7. Backup second internal disk?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup second internal disk?: I keep my user data on a separate internal hard disk, drive E. File History will not even recognize this second drive. So I tried using Backup and Restore (Windows 7). After churning away for an hour or so, it gave me the error message "The filename, directory name, or...
  8. File History not working with internal backup drives.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History not working with internal backup drives.: I have been reading the MANY posts about File History not working. I have 4 different machines and have been trying to get it to work on each of them with no luck, including V 1809. I have started and set to Auto (Delayed Start) all of the services for Software Protection,...
  9. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  10. Backup Questions Using the Internal or an External Drive

Backup Questions Using the Internal or an External Drive: I am trying to use Windows 10 Rescue and Recovery to back up or image my entire HD. I will either backup onto my internal HD or an external HD. The Resue and Recovery does not give the option to use the C drive so it seems to me that if I created another drive or partition on...