Windows 10: Can I block a specific Microsoft Store app from updating? Perhaps in some kind of hacky way?

Discus and support Can I block a specific Microsoft Store app from updating? Perhaps in some kind of hacky way? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey everyone, my laptop comes with an integrated pen. This pen depends on a specific app from the store to function as it should. As it turns out,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LeCyberDucky, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Can I block a specific Microsoft Store app from updating? Perhaps in some kind of hacky way?

Hey everyone,

my laptop comes with an integrated pen. This pen depends on a specific app from the store to function as it should. As it turns out, however, when I update this app, things get messed up, and my pen loses functionality. As a result, I haven't updated my apps for months now, but I'm not satisfied with that. For example, I would like to get the new update to the Windows Terminal.

When looking this up, the only thing I can find is that you can block automatic updates from the store, but that's not what I want. I just want to block a single app from updating. Is this possible in any way? Perhaps by finding the directory of this app and changing the access rights to it or something?

submitted by /u/LeCyberDucky
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LeCyberDucky, Apr 15, 2021

2. How to block a specific app using family settings

Hi,

Blocking specific apps is possible with the Microsoft Account's Family Safety Feature. To block a specific application on your child's account, it is a requirement that the app must be used by your child, so that it will appear in under the Recent Activity
    list. For your child's security, you can log in as the child and launch the app to satisfy this requirement.

Follow these steps to successfully block specific applications:

• Visit the Microsoft Family website and then sign in your Microsoft Account.
    • Click the account of the child that you want to block from using an app.
    • Select Recent Activity.
    • Click to ensure that Activity Reporting is turned on.
    • Scroll down and look for Apps & Games.
    • Choose the apps that you want to block on your child's account.
    • Click Block to block usage of the app.

If further assistance is needed, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Darleen Pen, Apr 15, 2021
  3. microsoft app store

How to run apps that are downloaded from Microsoft app store on multiple PCs without downloading multiple times.

Subhash Boipai, Apr 15, 2021
  4. P4-630 Win User

Can I block a specific Microsoft Store app from updating? Perhaps in some kind of hacky way?

Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

"Microsoft is sending emails to some Windows Store developers informing them that their apps have been removed from the Store for violating its quality standards."

"Neowin reports that app developers have been receiving these emails over the past couple of days:

In its latest review of the Store, Microsoft is evaluating if the published apps are good enough to be listed in the Windows Store. This includes publicly available apps as well as private beta apps. Additionally, Microsoft is also asking developers to delete any promotional campaigns for their apps to prevent advertising charges. Similarly, app name reservations are also being nullified; which means that if your app is unpublished, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to republish it under the same name.

Officially, the policies for the Microsoft Store says that apps must have "distinct and informative metadata" and "provide a valuable and quality user experience". There are also some specific standards that must be in the apps, including having a name that is not similar to another app or device, along with offering a description that is accurate about its features and functions.

There have certainly been many Windows Store users who have complained over the years about the large number of apps published that are clones of other apps or ones that are simply poorly made. Hopefully, this new move by Microsoft will help to curb these issues, at least for now.
    "

Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store | Windows Central

P4-630, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Can I block a specific Microsoft Store app from updating? Perhaps in some kind of hacky way?

1. Can I block a specific Microsoft Store app from updating? Perhaps in some kind of hacky way? - Similar Threads - block specific Microsoft

2. microsoft blocked me from install app not in their store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft blocked me from install app not in their store: I bought a new laptop with window 11 and try to install thinkorswim app from TDAmeritrade, window said it's not from microsoft app store so does not allow me to install. I search the web and instructed to reset the apps & features, but there is no such option. Is there a...
  3. microsoft blocked me from install app not in their store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    microsoft blocked me from install app not in their store: I bought a new laptop with window 11 and try to install thinkorswim app from TDAmeritrade, window said it's not from microsoft app store so does not allow me to install. I search the web and instructed to reset the apps & features, but there is no such option. Is there a...
  4. is there a way to block a specific program from accessing a specific website?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there a way to block a specific program from accessing a specific website?: i know i can edit the hosts file but the hosts file blocks all apps. is there a way to only block 1 app from accessing a website? google wasn't any help.edit: the app should still be able to use the internet, just not access a few websites....
  5. is there a way to block a specific program from accessing a specific website?

is there a way to block a specific program from accessing a specific website?: i know i can edit the hosts file but the hosts file blocks all apps. is there a way to only block 1 app from accessing a website? google wasn't any help.edit: the app should still be able to use the internet, just not access a few websites....
  6. is there a way to block a specific program from accessing a specific website?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Microsoft Store updates some apps but not others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store updates some apps but not others: When I try to download updates through Microsoft Store, I get the "Something happened on our end" message for most of the apps but some update just fine with no problem. I looked in the SoftwareDistribution/Download folder and there are folders created but all are empty. The...
  8. Microsoft Store updates some apps but not others

Microsoft Store updates some apps but not others: When I try to download updates through Microsoft Store, I get the "Something happened on our end" message for most of the apps but some update just fine with no problem. I looked in the SoftwareDistribution/Download folder and there are folders created but all are empty. The...
  9. Blocking Specific Windows Store Apps from changes

Blocking Specific Windows Store Apps from changes: Hi all! I have been having issues with third party Windows Store apps. I am running Windows 10 Pro, version 1607. The specific apps in question are Wifi Commander (which I purchased) and Netflix apps, but any third party app I try to install has the same issue. The problem...
  10. Block audio from specific apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Block audio from specific apps: Hopefully, that will get sorted soon. Spotify saved the setting on close and re-open! *Biggrin (without checking other settings or permissions) Groove did not! *Sad [img]