Windows 10: Can I block desktop shortcuts?

Discus and support Can I block desktop shortcuts? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is there a way to like globally block application installs from creating a desktop shortcut? I'd prefer not to need to look for the checkbox to stop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DarthCourteous, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Can I block desktop shortcuts?

Is there a way to like globally block application installs from creating a desktop shortcut? I'd prefer not to need to look for the checkbox to stop the desktop shortcut every time I install an app, and there are so many things that don't even ask before they put a shortcut on my desktop. Is there something I can do that will just prevent everything from making desktop shortcuts?
    Edit: I feel like I should clarify more. I would rather have a desktop completely free of shortcuts than allow anything to create them automatically if that must be the case. If even I can not manually create a desktop shortcut I can live with that. Hell, even a scorched earth method like making my desktop read only is acceptable as long as you can tell me how to do it. I'm not sure how to do something like that, but if it's what I have to do to keep all the junk off my desktop so be it.

submitted by /u/DarthCourteous
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DarthCourteous, Mar 18, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 18, 2020
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Mar 18, 2020
  4. Can I block desktop shortcuts?

How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

Can I block desktop shortcuts?

1. Can I block desktop shortcuts? - Similar Threads - block desktop shortcuts

2. Purple background on desktop shortcuts - how can I remove this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purple background on desktop shortcuts - how can I remove this?: I am getting a purple background on the WhatsApp and Spotify has a green one desktop shortcuts see image. I tried downloading an ico file but they come out really pixelated and don't look good. How can I remove this background please note purple is my window theme, which is...
  3. Block the Endless Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Block the Endless Shortcuts: I would appreciate if Windows 11 could add an option to automatically prevent apps from placing shortcuts. The endless stream of shortcuts coming from apps seems like it will not stop unless Windows makes a change to allow users to stop them....
  4. Block the Endless Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Block the Endless Shortcuts: I would appreciate if Windows 11 could add an option to automatically prevent apps from placing shortcuts. The endless stream of shortcuts coming from apps seems like it will not stop unless Windows makes a change to allow users to stop them....
  5. How can I get a desktop shortcut for this menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I get a desktop shortcut for this menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/idonthavexbox [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/vu934c/how_can_i_get_a_desktop_shortcut_for_this_menu/
  6. I can not make shortcuts to launch a program from desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can not make shortcuts to launch a program from desktop: Example Razor.exe launch's interface from install location. Cannot create shortcut to desktop ". . . . check to see if the disk is full". C partition has 100 gigs open. Just re-installed program. Other shortcuts don't work. A right click I on desktop under new only shows new...
  7. I can not make shortcuts to launch a program from desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can not make shortcuts to launch a program from desktop: Example Razor.exe launch's interface from install location. Cannot create shortcut to desktop ". . . . check to see if the disk is full". C partition has 100 gigs open. Just re-installed program. Other shortcuts don't work. A right click I on desktop under new only shows new...
  8. Can I automatically remove shortcuts on desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I automatically remove shortcuts on desktop?: Hey I have a laptop provided by my organization that automatically adds around 7 shortcuts to my desktop every time I turn on the computer. I'd assume the network admins have done this to help with locating important sites we may need, however, I'm not in need of having the...
  9. How can I create a shortcut to desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I create a shortcut to desktop?: A new version of Windows 10 has no way to create shortcuts to my desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-create-a-shortcut-to-desktop/f34335b0-ea8d-42f5-b9ad-e0b25646d620
  10. Can I have a desktop shortcut to W10 Forum?

in Browsers and Email
    Can I have a desktop shortcut to W10 Forum?: When I right click, there is no option to 'create shortcut' to put on desktop. It says 'copy shortcut', I clicked that, but nothing happens. How come 'create shortcut' for dsktp icon is not always there for different sites? 36543