Windows 10: Can I change the account on One Drive linked to my laptop without losing all my files?

Discus and support Can I change the account on One Drive linked to my laptop without losing all my files? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I first got my laptop, I mistakenly logged into my personal email and linked my One Drive account to that. Now that I'm further into college, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by 11TG13, Jan 25, 2023.

1. 11TG13 Win User

Can I change the account on One Drive linked to my laptop without losing all my files?

When I first got my laptop, I mistakenly logged into my personal email and linked my One Drive account to that. Now that I'm further into college, I have lost space and it won't sync up. I have opened some new notebooks on One Note to my University email with.However I would like to know if I'm able to somehow change the account my One Drive is connected to from personal to school? And if so, will I lose files that were saved under that account? Do I need to save them to my computer hard drive first and then make a copy/transfer to University One Drive once switched?As a part 2 question - th

:)

11TG13, Jan 25, 2023

2. Linking Microsoft Account to my Local Account Caused me to Lose Administrator Access

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to login to your temporary user account, enable built in administrator account and try to change the account settings.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.

• Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt.

• Type the following command and hit Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Step 2: Follow the below steps,

• Type User Accounts in the Search box from the desktop and select
      Change the User Accounts.

• Here you will be able to see all the user accounts on your computer.

• Select the User account and see if it is a Standard user account or Administrator.

• If it is standard user then, change it to Administrator.

• Now, log out from the Built-in Administrator account and try to log-in with your Administrator account.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 25, 2023
  3. Kari Win User
    Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

Can I change the account on One Drive linked to my laptop without losing all my files? 110153d1485973971t-creating-ms-account-without-losing-local-account-image.png

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

4. Vesao Win User

Can I change the account on One Drive linked to my laptop without losing all my files?

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Jan 25, 2023
Thema:

1. Can I change the account on One Drive linked to my laptop without losing all my files? - Similar Threads - change account Drive

2. How do i change my Admin Account without losing all my personalization or changing to a...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i change my Admin Account without losing all my personalization or changing to a...: - Change primary account/user sign in without losing any information or switching to or creating a "separate user" on windows.- I just want to change the account to my active one not the one from over a decade ago which I am not even sure how it became the primary admin....
  3. How do i change my Admin Account without losing all my personalization or changing to a...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do i change my Admin Account without losing all my personalization or changing to a...: - Change primary account/user sign in without losing any information or switching to or creating a "separate user" on windows.- I just want to change the account to my active one not the one from over a decade ago which I am not even sure how it became the primary admin....
  4. How do i change my Admin Account without losing all my personalization or changing to a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How do i change my Admin Account without losing all my personalization or changing to a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can I change the account on One Drive linked to my laptop without losing all my files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I change the account on One Drive linked to my laptop without losing all my files?: When I first got my laptop, I mistakenly logged into my personal email and linked my One Drive account to that. Now that I'm further into college, I have lost space and it won't sync up. I have opened some new notebooks on One Note to my University email with.However I would...
  7. Can I switch my microsoft account without losing all the apps?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can I switch my microsoft account without losing all the apps?: I bought a game on my school account and I don't know if i can switch it with my personal account without losing all my apps and stuff https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-switch-my-microsoft-account-without-losing/5c53e9e0-75d7-40f7-a2b8-03a02136c88a
  8. Can I switch my microsoft account without losing all the apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I switch my microsoft account without losing all the apps?: I bought a game on my school account and I don't know if i can switch it with my personal account without losing all my apps and stuff https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-switch-my-microsoft-account-without-losing/5c53e9e0-75d7-40f7-a2b8-03a02136c88a
  9. Can I switch my microsoft account without losing all the apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  10. How can I switch accounts on my computer without losing all of my data?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How can I switch accounts on my computer without losing all of my data?: I recently noticed that I had two Microsoft accounts under my name. One account has my Xbox stuff the one I'm asking this question with right now, and another one that I use to sign into my computer with. I'm going to usemy account with the Xbox data since you can't transfer...