Windows 10: Can I Choose Which Hotspot?

Discus and support Can I Choose Which Hotspot? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have about 5 xfinity hotspots. Windows picks the strongest signal. Oddly tho, that 1 doesn't work very well. A slightly less strength 1 seems to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimlau, Nov 19, 2016.

1. jimlau Win User

Can I Choose Which Hotspot?

I have about 5 xfinity hotspots. Windows picks the strongest signal. Oddly tho, that 1 doesn't work very well. A slightly less strength 1 seems to always work. Is there any tool or software that would allow me to choose which xfinity hotspot i want?

thanks.

:)

jimlau, Nov 19, 2016

2. Can I choose which folder to install Age of Empires: Definitive Edition?

Okay, so that means that I am unable to customize the location where I want to install the game.

I cannot fathom this decision. I sadly doubt that Microsoft will be able to compete with the other large distribution platforms such as Steam with this current way of handling installations. At least for steam I can choose to have it all in one folder, and
    where to place that folder.

I like to keep my drives tidy so that i can easily traverse them. I don't like that I am only able to choose the drive's root folder for install, and that the Windows store then clutters my drive's root folder with multiple new folders.

On a side note. Is it possible to turn off the "tablet-like" "show title bar, and show task bar buttons?

These are very strange to have enabled in a full-screen RTS game.

larsthelord, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Can I choose which folder to install Age of Empires: Definitive Edition?

Thank you for your response. If you have any comments and suggestions about the Windows 10 features, you can download the Feedback Hub on this
    link
    and send us your feedback. The Feedback Hub
    app lets you tell Microsoft about any problems you run into while using Windows 10 and send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience. Sending a suggestion or reporting a problem can be as easy as finding feedback similar to yours and upvoting
    it.

To add a new feedback you may follow the steps below:

• Select Add new feedback next to the search bar.
    • Tell us whether you’re sending a problem or suggestion.
    • In the Summarize your issue box, provide a concise but clear title for your problem or suggestion.
    • In the Give us more detail (optional) box, you can give us more specific information, like how you encountered the problem.
    • Select a category that corresponds to your feedback. For example, if your printer stopped working, you’d select
      Hardware, Devices, and Drivers.
    • Select a subcategory—like Print for problems with printing.
    • (Optional) Step through the problem while capturing the steps so we can see what happened.
    • (Optional) Send a screenshot to help show the problem.
    • When you’re satisfied with your feedback, select Submit.

For more information about the Feedback Hub, you may visit this link.

To turn off the Tablet mode on your PC, you may follow the steps provided on this

link

Should you have any other queries, you can contact us anytime.

Loraine Mon, Nov 19, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

Just forget all the hotspots, then connect to the one you want.

Mystere, Nov 19, 2016
  5. jimlau Win User
    I can't do that, because they are all xfinity.

jimlau, Nov 19, 2016
  6. Adalwar Win User
    Yes , I know that problem too. It is missing a full "Survey" mode in W10. In routers with Bridging or Hotspot function you can choose the one you want to connect.

Adalwar, Nov 19, 2016
  7. jimlau Win User
    I'm a newbie..are you saying if I bought a router with hotspot function I can do this? Do common specs of routers indicate a hotspot function and bridging? I take it not all routers do? Thanks.

jimlau, Nov 19, 2016
  8. Adalwar Win User

Wtih a Wireless Router like the TP-LINK wr802N, it offers almost all Modes you need, most important in this situation is the "Hotspott", I can select which Access Point I connect to.
    It show all access point available around me with its Channels, so is easy to do it. After this I connect my PC to the Router and I seat behind a SPI Firewall. Not bad.
    Regarding Bridging, I have been trying to use another Router that has only that Function, it in "Mode Hotspot" but I did not succeed.

But may be your Problem is that the WiFI Card is jumping too oft from one xfinity frequency to another. So, I would suggest you to go to Device Manager , Network Adapters, Your network card, right Click, properties, Advanced and look for the "Roaming" settings if it has such a setting. If so, choose the "lowest" possible. If that did not help, try the opposite.

Adalwar, Nov 19, 2016
  9. jimlau Win User
    Talked to TP-Link. They said I need a modem to plug the router into it. I don't have a modem at this location.

So there is no solution?

jimlau, Nov 20, 2016
  10. jimlau Win User
    Talked to TP-Link. They said I need a modem to plug the router into it. I don't have a modem at this location. Just a wifi adapter that I plug into my computer.

So there is no solution?

jimlau, Nov 20, 2016
  11. Adalwar Win User
    I think xfinity is a WiFi-HotSpot that is sending in different channels, or am I wrong?

Adalwar, Nov 20, 2016
  12. jimlau Win User
    Yes, I believe so, as each hot spot I connect to has different channels associated with that connection.

jimlau, Nov 20, 2016
  13. Adalwar Win User

Lets make it clear, how do you connect your PC to the Internet, by Wired LAN or by means of your WLAN Card?

Adalwar, Nov 20, 2016
  14. Adalwar Win User
    Let me say how I do it:
    I have the WR802N, I setup to Connect to a Public WiFi-Hotspot and I connect my PC to the Router by means of the WLAN Card.
    There is here no cable at all, no modem at all.

EDIT: the WR802N can also connect to Internet by Modem, by Home LAN. It has 4 different working modes, that normally the general Wireless routers do not offer.

Adalwar, Nov 20, 2016
  15. Adalwar Win User
    If you connect your PC to the xfinity by WLAN Card , you can connect the WR802N to that xfinity too, exactlaly the same way without any modem or whatever, with the advantage that it will show all channels and how strong the signal, and you can choose which channel you want to use.

Adalwar, Nov 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Can I Choose Which Hotspot? - Similar Threads - Choose Hotspot

2. Choose where to get apps from

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choose where to get apps from: I am told to download an app I need to change "Choose where to get apps from" within Advanced Settings. This option is not displayed and cannot be found through search. What do I do?NOTE: please make your response very simplistic as I am not technical...
  3. Choose where to get apps from

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Choose where to get apps from: I am old to download an app I need to change "Choose where to get apps from" within Advanced Settings. This option is not displayed and cannot be found through search. What do I do?...
  4. Reset my PC and choose Remove Everything, my data in drive D has gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset my PC and choose Remove Everything, my data in drive D has gone: Hi, I tried to reinstall Windows 11 by reset my PC and choose 'Remove Everything' then choose 'only the drive where Windows is installed' which is drive C but when it is completed , all my the data in drive D is gone.How can I recover my files? Pls help.....
  5. Reset my PC and choose Remove Everything, my data in drive D has gone

Reset my PC and choose Remove Everything, my data in drive D has gone: Hi, I tried to reinstall Windows 11 by reset my PC and choose 'Remove Everything' then choose 'only the drive where Windows is installed' which is drive C but when it is completed , all my the data in drive D is gone.How can I recover my files? Pls help.....
  6. If I choose the cloud download option when reinstalling Windows, does that mean I'll have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I choose the cloud download option when reinstalling Windows, does that mean I'll have...: Will I lose Microsoft Office that I purchased and Windows that I purchased, and also, I don't know if it's OEM because I got Windows along with the computer?...
  7. If I choose the cloud download option when reinstalling Windows, does that mean I'll have...

If I choose the cloud download option when reinstalling Windows, does that mean I'll have...: Will I lose Microsoft Office that I purchased and Windows that I purchased, and also, I don't know if it's OEM because I got Windows along with the computer?...
  8. If I choose the cloud download option when reinstalling Windows, does that mean I'll have...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows 11. Blue Screen - Choose an option Trouble Shoot / Turn off PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11. Blue Screen - Choose an option Trouble Shoot / Turn off PC: Hi! I have a problem with my Windows 11 operating system. I turned on my computer today and was met with a blue screen telling me to choose an option, troubleshoot or turn off your PC. The troubleshoot option takes me to factory image restore and advance options. Factory...
  10. Windows 11. Blue Screen - Choose an option Trouble Shoot / Turn off PC

Windows 11. Blue Screen - Choose an option Trouble Shoot / Turn off PC: Hi! I have a problem with my Windows 11 operating system. I turned on my computer today and was met with a blue screen telling me to choose an option, troubleshoot or turn off your PC. The troubleshoot option takes me to factory image restore and advance options. Factory...