Windows 10: Can I clone my Windows 7 drive, update to Win10, dual boot & use both?

Discus and support Can I clone my Windows 7 drive, update to Win10, dual boot & use both? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; hi, I was prompted a while ago to update to Windows 10, but haven't had a reason to until recently, there's a game (Killer Instinct) which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IshotJR, Mar 30, 2016.

1. IshotJR Win User

Can I clone my Windows 7 drive, update to Win10, dual boot & use both?

hi,

I was prompted a while ago to update to Windows 10, but haven't had a reason to until recently, there's a game (Killer Instinct) which is Windows 10 only so I decided now's the time.

When I was prompted for the update originally, I followed a guide on this forum for turning the update file into a bootable iSO, I though this would let me install windows 10 on another partition so I could dual boot, but when I tried it asked me for my product key and didn't accept my original Windows 7 key.

I'm currently running windows 7 from a 120gb SSD, now partitioned in 2 equal half's. I was wondering if its possible for me to clone my existing Windows 7 drive to the 2nd partition, then do the Windows 10 update on either the clone or original drive for a dual boot setup. Is this possible ?

Thanks in advance

:)

IshotJR, Mar 30, 2016
  2. FAUguy Win User

Keep 8.1 and dual boot 10?

The way I understand it from reading all the threads is that you'll first want to back up or clone your HDD to another drive. Then do the upgrade from Win 7 to 10 so that it registers an upgrade was done.

Then you can restore the backupor clone. After that, you'll can then do a dual boot clean install of Win 10 by making a DVD of the downloadable ISO.

FAUguy, Mar 30, 2016
  3. JackosCAD Win User
    How to Clone 'dual boot' Win7/Win10 HDD to new SSD

I have genuine Windows 7 (x64) system with CAD software and another dual boot Windows 10 (x32) with Office 365 apps. The Win7 drive is frustratingly slow so I want to clone to a SSD. I'm worried about the dual boot? Is there software out there that will
    competently clone dual booting activated systems without a glitch? Currently I default to Win7 with the windows boot manager, and option into Windows 10 when needed. Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. please don't judge me. I would prefer just Win10 (x64) but this is how my legal licenses fell... lol. My CAD software doesn't work correctly under Windows 10, so I really need to keep it working and productive on Win7 (x64).

JackosCAD, Mar 30, 2016
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Not within the terms of your windows 7 or Windows 10 licenses - one or the other, not both.
    Check that your PC can upgrade to Windows 10 by trying this:

Upgrade Assistant: FAQ - Windows Help

Fafhrd, Mar 30, 2016
  5. IshotJR Win User
    IshotJR, Mar 30, 2016
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    Sadly, you will risk Microsoft deactivating one or both of the cloned/upgraded installations, and having to get in touch With Microsoft to try to get just one of them activated again.
    Good luck with the upgrade, don't forget to clone the old system first anyway, just as a backup if things go wrong.

Fafhrd, Mar 30, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Make a complete image backup 1st of your Windows 7 keep it on a separate drive. BEFORE doing any upgrade to Windows 10.

This way if something goes wrong, you can go back to your Windows 7. Use a program like Macrium Reflect for making your image. Macrium Reflect has a Free version.
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

OldMike65, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I clone my Windows 7 drive, update to Win10, dual boot & use both? - Similar Threads - clone drive update

2. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  3. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  4. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  6. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  7. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Dual boot can I rename my drives?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual boot can I rename my drives?: I have a dual boot set up windows 10/7 win, 7 is installed on a separate internal drive call virtual on my d drive can I rename it to win 7 without any boot up problems. Regards. 172921
  9. Dual boot can I rename my drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual boot can I rename my drives?: I have a dual boot set up windows 10/7 win, 7 is installed on a separate internal drive call virtual on my d drive can I rename it to win 7 without any boot up problems. Regards. 172921
  10. Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10: Apologies if this is 'old hat'. I'm having trouble with win 10 (getting wifi working) and have a thread specifically on that subject already open. I'm in the position of installing win10 on my son's laptop and soon have to give it to him - but he lives 80 miles away. Win10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win7 clone after win10 update