Windows 10: Can I close a "Microsoft account" that uses the same email address as a "Microsoft Work or...

Discus and support Can I close a "Microsoft account" that uses the same email address as a "Microsoft Work or... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For reasons too long to explain and remember, I've ended up with a "Microsoft account" that uses the same email address as a "Microsoft Work or School"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by oavaldezi, Nov 13, 2021.

1. oavaldezi Win User

Can I close a "Microsoft account" that uses the same email address as a "Microsoft Work or...

For reasons too long to explain and remember, I've ended up with a "Microsoft account" that uses the same email address as a "Microsoft Work or School" account.By "Microsoft account", I mean an account related to Microsoft consumer services, such as Microsoft 365 Personal or Family.By "Microsoft Work or School" account, I mean an account related to Microsoft 365 Business, which exists within a Microsoft 365 Business tenant.Can I safely close the "Microsoft account" for consumer services without affecting the "Microsoft Work or School" account and its tenant?

:)

oavaldezi, Nov 13, 2021
  2. crawfish Win User

Email used to create Microsoft account permanently associated with it?

A few months ago, I decided to use another email address with my Microsoft account. I linked it, made it the primary alias, and I deleted the original email address, the one I used to create the account, I think back in the live.com days (2013, anyway). When I go to "Your Info" on the account.microsoft.com/profile web site, I see only the new email address in the "Profile" tab. I click on "Manage how you sign in to Microsoft," and it's the only Account Alias listed. Great, right?

However, back on the "Your Info" page, there is the enigmatic "Contact info" link to the right of "Profile." I click on it, and my original email address is the only email under "These email addresses are associated with your Microsoft account, including the best place to reach you, and how you sign in." In particular, the primary alias is nowhere to be found. There's no way to change it, as "Manage this email address" takes me back to "Manage how you sign in to Microsoft," where the new email address is the only Account Alias listed, as I mentioned above. When I click on "Change sign-in preferences," only my new email address is listed, it's grayed out, and the only button on the page is Cancel.

So this "Contact info" part of Microsoft is fixated on my original email address, and I can't change it. I don't know what it's used for, and I don't monitor it anymore, so it's a problem.

Any ideas?

crawfish, Nov 13, 2021
  3. cheesus Win User
    Downloading and using Microsoft apps with work email address

I want to download apps from the Microsoft Store on my system. However, I only have a work e-mail address that I use for all my software, such as Onedrive, Outlook etc. When I want to download an app ... I get asked to sign in, followed by "That Microsoft account doesn’t exist. Enter a different account or get a new one."

When I choose to create one, I get the message "You can’t sign up here with a work or school email address. Use a personal email address, such as Gmail or Yahoo!, or get a new Outlook email address.".

Do I seriously need to log in with my private email account? Or do I really need two separate Email addresses to use apps etc, that will then not be synchronised? This seems highly inconvenient. Am I doing something wrong?
    (Using Win10 Home)

cheesus, Nov 13, 2021
  4. Tetsujin Win User

Can I close a "Microsoft account" that uses the same email address as a "Microsoft Work or...

How can I un-link my current Microsoft account that is tagged to my Windows activation license and link it to a new Microsoft account?

You don't make a new account & try to move your entitlements to it, you change the email address associated with the original account.

From Microsoft Support - Change the email address or phone number for your Microsoft account

Tetsujin, Nov 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Can I close a "Microsoft account" that uses the same email address as a "Microsoft Work or... - Similar Threads - close Microsoft account

2. Can someone open a Microsoft Account using my email address?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone open a Microsoft Account using my email address?: I am sure an email I received about suspicious activity log in related to a Microsoft Account using my email address was a potential fraud and I binned it straight away.But can someone open such an account?If so, is there a way to prevent it?Thanks...
  3. Can someone open a Microsoft Account using my email address?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone open a Microsoft Account using my email address?: I am sure an email I received about suspicious activity log in related to a Microsoft Account using my email address was a potential fraud and I binned it straight away.But can someone open such an account?If so, is there a way to prevent it?Thanks...
  4. Can someone open a Microsoft Account using my email address?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Multiple Microsoft accounts with the same email address can* be created.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Microsoft accounts with the same email address can* be created.: Multiple Microsoft accounts with the same email address cannot be created. told by Microsoftand yet I've somehow, done just that it's annoying. I'm a diesel technician lol I don't work where there's an I.T department nor am I'm in school. IDK what did I don't want to just...
  6. Multiple Microsoft accounts with the same email address can* be created.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Microsoft accounts with the same email address can* be created.: Multiple Microsoft accounts with the same email address cannot be created. told by Microsoftand yet I've somehow, done just that it's annoying. I'm a diesel technician lol I don't work where there's an I.T department nor am I'm in school. IDK what did I don't want to just...
  7. Can I close a "Microsoft account" that uses the same email address as a "Microsoft Work or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I close a "Microsoft account" that uses the same email address as a "Microsoft Work or...: For reasons too long to explain and remember, I've ended up with a "Microsoft account" that uses the same email address as a "Microsoft Work or School" account.By "Microsoft account", I mean an account related to Microsoft consumer services, such as Microsoft 365 Personal or...
  8. Microsoft account email address

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft account email address: Hi,The microsoft account email address that my pc uses for windows 10, has an incorrect email address, and I cannot remember the password to this account.The problem is, I am trying to change this account the correct one. So I have added the correct email address as an...
  9. 2 Microsoft Accounts For The Same Email Address

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 Microsoft Accounts For The Same Email Address: Hi all, Years ago, I made a Microsoft account with my custom-domain email address. I now have that email hosted with Office 365, and try to use that as my MS account with everything. Is there any risk in deleting the first Microsoft account to stop some things trying to...
  10. How do I close a second microsoft account with the same email address?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How do I close a second microsoft account with the same email address?: Hi, I have mistakenly created two Microsoft accounts with one email log in. This means that I am unable to close the first one because when I try to log in it keeps coming up with the second account and not the first. I can't recall the password for the first account...