Windows 10: can i convert the disk to mbr and install Windows

Discus and support can i convert the disk to mbr and install Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sorry if this is hijacking a thread but i have a question about this as well. I know i need to disable secure boot in order to change the boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AthanasianCreed, Aug 31, 2015.

1. can i convert the disk to mbr and install Windows

Sorry if this is hijacking a thread but i have a question about this as well. I know i need to disable secure boot in order to change the boot sequence. I ran into an issue trying to install Windows 10 on a GPT partition - it said it couldn't do it. So...after much searching, i learned (??) i need to use diskpart to clean the partitions to create one large unallotted space which would then allow me to install Windows. My question is, can i convert the disk to mbr and install Windows to it that way and run it in that mode. If i can do that, what would be the command to do that? > convert mbr after the clean command?? What about enabling secure boot?? Can i do that if i have installed Windows under MBR rather than GPT???

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but i'm hesitant to clean install Windows 10 without clear instructions. Could some kind soul outline the sequence of commands to do the above. Hopefully, i've been clear enough on what i'm attempting to do. If not, i'll do my best to clarify.

TIA!

:)

AthanasianCreed, Aug 31, 2015
  2. qinada Win User

Windows Installation

On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. If you use MBR disk, you will receive this error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. You can convert MBR to GPT and try it again.

qinada, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Jon-Stark Win User
    3TB Drive format windows 10 not working

This is because your hard disk is MBR disk, you can check it in Disk Management.
    which only supports 2 TB drive. so the only way to get your space backup is to convert your disk back to GPT disk. Disk management can only convert a disk to MBR when it is empty. Therefore, you need a third party software to

convert MBR to GPT on Windows 10
    without affecting the OS, such as AOMEI Partition Assistant.after installing this software, the Convert mBR/GPT wizard will guide you through the process. http://www.disk-partition.com/help/convert-gpt-mbr-disk.html

Jon-Stark, Aug 31, 2015
  4. AddRAM Win User

can i convert the disk to mbr and install Windows

Yes, you can install to MBR, that`s all I use, you may have to enable Legacy bios or Legacy and UEFI if the bios has that option, my Z87 does.

Disable secure boot before any install.

You can google the commands or find them easily in the tut section here or at Seven Forums, but convert MBR sounds right, I don`t remember off the top of my head, had it written down somewhere.

Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk - Windows 7 Help Forums

It`s very simple to do.

AddRAM, Aug 31, 2015
  5. Thank you for the replies - you both have put my mind at ease if and when i deside to clean install Windows 10 on my laptop.

AthanasianCreed, Sep 1, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    It 's better to let Windows do all that work for you ie. create the needed partitions whether you want to install using GPT or MBR. Here's the steps.
    • Make sure to disconnect all HD's/SSD's except the one you plan to install Windows.
    • In BIOS: disable Secure Boot. Set to UEFI if you want to install Windows in UEFI Mode otherwise set it to the legacy BIOS.
    • Boot the installation USB/DVD. Select the boot mode as shown in screen shot. It's important that you select the correct one so Windows will initialize the disk appropriately (GPT/MBR)

can i convert the disk to mbr and install Windows [​IMG]
    • On the first screen, press and hold SHIFT key + F10. Command Windows pops up
    • diskpart
    • select disk 0
    • clean
    • exit
    • exit
    • Continue with the installation, click on Custom Installation and select the unallocated partition (disk 0). Do not format, click next and let Windows creates the needed partitions

topgundcp, Sep 1, 2015
  7. Thank you 'topgundcp' for the detailed instructions, much appreciated!!

Regarding the above, if i want to set up as mbr, can i not format the drive to prevent the install of the 450 mb reserved partition?? Also, if i set up as mbr 1) do i need to add command > convert mbr to the above diskpart commands and 2) do i need to reenable secure boot in the BIOS? If i do, will i have a problem booting to Windows? Is it best just to leave as Legacy in BIOS?

Thanks for the help

AthanasianCreed, Sep 1, 2015
  8. GregH Win User

I might be wrong but I think Windows will insist on the reserved partition. It uses it for house keeping.

GregH, Sep 2, 2015
  9. genet Win User
    Here is info about UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

genet, Sep 2, 2015
  10. Thank you 'genet' for the detailed instructions - very much appreciated!

AthanasianCreed, Sep 3, 2015
  11. GregH Win User
    I'm still not 100% clear on this one: can I install Windows 10 in UEFI boot mode if I am installing from a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro DVD?

If I pop the DVD into the drive and boot my PC to the boot selection page (F6 on my Asus Motherboard), I do not get an option for my DVD drive to run in UEFI mode. Just normal mode. I only get such an option if I have a USB ISO plugged in.

GregH, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. can i convert the disk to mbr and install Windows - Similar Threads - convert disk mbr

2. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  3. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  4. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Convert a disk from MBR to GPT in preparation for Win11 install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert a disk from MBR to GPT in preparation for Win11 install: I ran the PC Health Check and was informed that the Secure Boot option was not enabled so I enabled it in BIOS however it was unable to find my boot drive. I figgered out that this was because my boot drive is an MBR partition style. I tried running MBR2GPT however that told...
  6. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  7. convert MBR to GPT disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...
  8. Converting Windows 10 MBR Disk to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting Windows 10 MBR Disk to GPT: I have two internal disks and one external on my desktop. One of the internals is a GPT 1Tb disk for data and archive storage. The other is an MBR Windows 10 system disk and the external one is a 1TB USB. The system disk contains a System Reserved partition and the Windows 10...
  9. Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10: How to: Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 How to Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 [img] Information GPT (GUID Partition Table) and MBR (Master Boot Record) are two different partition styles that can be used for a disk. MBR disks use the standard...
  10. Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10: How to: Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 How to Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 GPT (GUID Partition Table) and MBR (Master Boot Record) are two different partition styles that can be used for a disk. MBR disks use the standard BIOS partition...