Windows 10: Can I copy files to a new PCs OneDrive to Save Download TIme?

Discus and support Can I copy files to a new PCs OneDrive to Save Download TIme? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need to transfer about 1TB worth of files to a new PC that are on OneDrive and I can't wait for OneDrive to download them. Can I simple copy the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Donl777, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Donl777 Win User

Can I copy files to a new PCs OneDrive to Save Download TIme?

I need to transfer about 1TB worth of files to a new PC that are on OneDrive and I can't wait for OneDrive to download them. Can I simple copy the files to the new OneDrive folder on the new PC and it will autosync without having to download?

:)

Donl777, Jul 2, 2021

2. Download from Onedrive to Save Files on PC

Hi!

I have just moved over 500 GB of picture files from my old PC to a new PC using OneDrive. It took a couple of days for the files to download from OneDrive. They now sit on the OneDrive folder on my new PC - only they don't. Every time I open a picture
    file I see a message saying downloading file from OneDrive. If I check the properties of the Pictures Folder within the OneDrive folder it shows I have some 435 GB of 503 GB saved on disk. This suggests that not all parts of the files have been download.

I want to save the files from OneDrive on my C: drive in Pictures folder. What is the best way to do it? Do I Copy or Move the files in the OneDrive folder?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks, Nick

Nick Baldwin, Jul 2, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    I can't copy old Onedrive files to a new OneDrive folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forums.

I would suggest you to reset OneDrive and then try copying the files to see if it works.

• Press ‘Windows’
      and ‘R’ keys on the keyboard together to open the run dialog box and copy paste the following into the Run box:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
    • Open Run window again and copy paste the following:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
    • Restart the machine and try copying the files to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, turn off Files On-Demand feature and try copying. Refer to the article
    Save disk space
    with OneDrive Files On-Demand for Windows 10
    , for the same.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jul 2, 2021
  4. S.D.K Win User

File History & OneDrive on Demand

I know that "files on demand" aren't saved on my computer. However, I still have the following problems:

• After starting a new File History backup from scratch (as suggested in the first response) the majority of my Onedrive , including almost all files that are marked as "Always Keep on this Device" are not backed up.
    • Even for files marked as "Files on Demand" - surely File History should be able to back them up anyway? The whole point of a good backup system is that you have copies of files in multiple places (and OneDrive's cloud system only counts as 1). The creation
      of the file history would be download heavy as it copies every file to my backup device, but after that it should only have to download single files as changes are made.

S.D.K, Jul 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Can I copy files to a new PCs OneDrive to Save Download TIme? - Similar Threads - copy files PCs

2. Can I save my copy of Win10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I save my copy of Win10?: I want to convert my HDD to a backup drive and need to format it to remove many unwanted files/folders. Can I save my Win10 somehow to use it in the future?TIA https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-save-my-copy-of-win10/2c8ccf0a-8c59-4c73-bd7d-4c9a169f2394
  3. Can I save my copy of Win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I save my copy of Win10?: I want to convert my HDD to a backup drive and need to format it to remove many unwanted files/folders. Can I save my Win10 somehow to use it in the future?TIA https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-save-my-copy-of-win10/2c8ccf0a-8c59-4c73-bd7d-4c9a169f2394
  4. Can I save my copy of Win10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change drive where OneDrive saves local copies of files

Change drive where OneDrive saves local copies of files: OneDrive is set to save local copies of my files in my C Drive, where the OS and apps are supposed to store, instead of the D Drive where I want to save files. How do I change this? I haven't synced any files locally yet, as I think part of my Windows problem was a full C...
  6. How can I copy a pdf saved file

How can I copy a pdf saved file: I want to split my pdf file into 2 sections in that it is too large to upload. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-copy-a-pdf-saved-file/8b03932c-7590-4b8e-a43d-62cde7e35ab6
  7. New PC, can I copy over saved passwords?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    New PC, can I copy over saved passwords?: My neighbour is getting a new Dell Windows 10 PC, his old one is Win 10 as well, is it possible to copy over all saved passwords from various websites, Amazon, email etc from one PC to another? Thanks Steve 154747
  8. File copying between PCs

File copying between PCs: I am running Windows 10 with latest updates on a HP desktop and a Lenovo notepad. I would like to be able to copy folders between the two computers over wifi. How can I do this?...
  9. I can't copy old Onedrive files to a new OneDrive folder

I can't copy old Onedrive files to a new OneDrive folder: Things have gotten messed up with my Documents folder. To be careful, I copied all of the files in my old OneDrive folder to a backup folder. Then I uninstalled OneDrive, cleaned up the user shell entries in the Registry, and reinstalled OneDrive. It downloaded the files from...
  10. Download from Onedrive to Save Files on PC

Download from Onedrive to Save Files on PC: Hi! I have just moved over 500 GB of picture files from my old PC to a new PC using OneDrive. It took a couple of days for the files to download from OneDrive. They now sit on the OneDrive folder on my new PC - only they don't. Every time I open a picture file I see a...