Windows 10: Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder?

Discus and support Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; TL;DR On COMPUTER-A I have a folder, with several files and sub-folders. COMPUTER-B is on the same network. On COMPUTER-B, can I add a symlink to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/cag8f, Apr 13, 2020.

1. /u/cag8f Win User

Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder?

TL;DR On COMPUTER-A I have a folder, with several files and sub-folders. COMPUTER-B is on the same network. On COMPUTER-B, can I add a symlink to the folder, but exclude one of the sub-folders?

Hi all. I have a question about Windows symlinks. Here is my setup:

• I have two computers on my local network: COMPUTER-A and COMPUTER-B.
    • To COMPUTER-A, I've added folder-a, which contains many files and folders, including folder-b.
    • To COMPUTER-B, I'd like to add a symlink to folder-a, but exclude folder-b.

Is this possible?

I've seen these two posts on the same topic, but neither indicates a solution (post 1, post 2).

If this is not possible with symlinks, does anyone have suggestions for how I might be able to sync a folder across devices, while excluding a sub-folder? Google Drive doesn't seem to allow me to easily do what I want. Using an online Git repo is my fallback option.

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/cag8f
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/cag8f, Apr 13, 2020

2. sub folders

Hi Paulette,

You can move the sub-folder by dragging the sub-folder from the other Picture Folder up to the main Picture Folder. However, the sub-folder will remain as a sub-folder.

If you want to make the sub-folder as a stand alone folder, we suggest that you create a new folder on your desired location, then move over the files from the sub-folder to the new folder that you created.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 13, 2020
  3. Exclude Sub-folders from being Shared ?

When sharing a folder, how do you exclude sub-folders from being shared ?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

StraightWorld, Apr 13, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

sub Folder for outlook

Hello,

Thank you for writing your query in Microsoft Community. I would like to have some more understanding to the issue so that we can diagnose and work on the issue faster. Kindly provide me the following information:

• Where are you trying to create a sub folder is it on mail app or other application?
    If it is mail app, unfortunately there is no option to create a sub folder in Mail app, I would suggest you to share your feedback in Windows Feedback app.

Arul_D, Apr 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder? - Similar Threads - create symlink folder

2. How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?: I don't know how but a sub folder in the USER folder is created with " ' " as the name of the folder instead of my username or system name. So whenever I was trying to install MySQL, it showed an error and now I had to install it in another folder where it's working fine. And...
  3. How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?: I don't know how but a sub folder in the USER folder is created with " ' " as the name of the folder instead of my username or system name. So whenever I was trying to install MySQL, it showed an error and now I had to install it in another folder where it's working fine. And...
  4. Onedrive: exclude sub-folders from backup to Onedrive cloud

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive: exclude sub-folders from backup to Onedrive cloud: Hello,I don't know how, but after my Onedrive App stopped working I had to reinstall the newest version of it manually.And that's the point where the problems are starting, like before I wanted to setup the backup of my document-files I'll use this term to avoid confusion...
  5. Onedrive: exclude sub-folders from backup to Onedrive cloud

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive: exclude sub-folders from backup to Onedrive cloud: Hello,I don't know how, but after my Onedrive App stopped working I had to reinstall the newest version of it manually.And that's the point where the problems are starting, like before I wanted to setup the backup of my document-files I'll use this term to avoid confusion...
  6. Onedrive: exclude sub-folders from backup to Onedrive cloud

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Sorting folders and the sub folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting folders and the sub folders: Hello. I have a huge music archive and recently had to format and clean install my windows 10, meanwhile I had my archive in my HDD. Now the problem is, my song folder had around 1200~ albums in it, every album in that main folder was ordered by Date and inside every album it...
  8. Sub folders created in email.

Sub folders created in email.: I have Microsoft email. I have created several folders to store emails I may need to retrieve. However, most of the emails I've moved to a different folder from the inbox have disappeared. How can I stop this happening, and retrieve previously stored emails?...
  9. How to exclude sub folders with specific name from backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to exclude sub folders with specific name from backup: I would like to exclude the node_modules folders from backup. The backup folder has many node_modules subfolders. Are there any methods to exclude subfolders with specific names?...
  10. Exclude Folder.

Exclude Folder.: Hey guys, I have a folder in my Windoes 10 Explorer that I want to exclude from media scanning, so it won't appear in anywhere except Explorer. Does anybody know how to make the equivalent of .NOMEDIA folder like the one in Android. Thank you very much....