Windows 10: Can I create Bootable USB for Win 10 from another computer?

Discus and support Can I create Bootable USB for Win 10 from another computer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Had tried to update the BIOS on my son's Alienware Aurora R4 so that we could install an upgraded graphics card (980 Ti). Used the Dell Support site... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jk1964, Jan 3, 2016.

1. jk1964 Win User

Can I create Bootable USB for Win 10 from another computer?

Had tried to update the BIOS on my son's Alienware Aurora R4 so that we could install an upgraded graphics card (980 Ti).

Used the Dell Support site - and was upgrading from Bios 7 to Bios 9 - would eventually go up to current version 11 before swapping GPU.

Followed all the steps on the Dell site - but afterwards - it acts like my hard drive has died (doubting this - have fairly new Samsung 512GB SSD as the only hard drive).

Computer boots into Bios now - but says "inaccessible boot device". My son had done the update from Windows 8 that came on the machine to Windows 10 - but apparently did not create a boot disk or USB drive.

Can I create a "generic" bootable USB on another computer - WITHOUT REINSTALLING WINDOWS?? I do not want to lose info/settings on his machine if at all possible.

Waiting on Alienware Tech support to respond - machine is about 2.5 years old and out of warranty - but hopeful they (or someone here!!) can help me.

thanks,
    Jim

:)

jk1964, Jan 3, 2016

2. Cannot access desktop PH Windows 10

You need to boot from system recovery disc or Windows 10 bootable USB and not from the installed operating system. Plug in the bootable Windows 10 USB, and follow the steps mentioned in that guide. P.S. You'll need another Windows machine to create bootable
    USB.

Kapil Arya MVP, Jan 3, 2016
  3. Tooslow Win User
    Create bootable USB for Win 10 install

Virtual beer tokens all round! Thanks all. Rufus did the trick but only after it (he?) had engaged me in an arm wrestling competition. It kept unchanging settings as I moved on to another, no doubt to maintain consistency with what I was selecting elsewhere
    but it took me a while to realise. Even then it took me a while, trying different options to get the result I wanted.

If anyone is having the same problem, you have to set the partition scheme box to MBR for UEFI, the second option. Otherwise the format keeps going back to NTFS.

Even now the label is something that Rufus chose, not something I selected, but I can live with that.

Thanks all and good luck with Win10.

John

Tooslow, Jan 3, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

essenbe, Jan 3, 2016
  5. jk1964 Win User
    Will this bootable USB re-install Windows 10 - or simply allow it to start up where I can possibly access files on the SSD? Right now I cannot get past the start-up (Bios) screens on the Alienware computer.

jk1964, Jan 3, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    It will allow you to install Windows 10 or do any of the recovery options. Go into BIOS and look at your Boot order. Make sure the boot device is selected properly. If you have a UEFI Bios select Windows Boot Manager, if you have an MBR install select the hard drive.

Any Live Linux CD or USB will allow you to copy your personal files to another external hard drive. Don't install it, just run it as a test. The Live Linux runs out of ram but can see any drive attached.

essenbe, Jan 3, 2016
  7. jk1964 Win User
    thanks - will try later tonight.

jk1964, Jan 3, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

I hope everything works out well for you.

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I create Bootable USB for Win 10 from another computer? - Similar Threads - create Bootable USB

2. can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?: I have a 64 gig usb and i want to install tiny11 on my pc. I downloaded the iso file 3.6gig and i want to create a bootable usb using rufus. However there are some files on the usb i want to keep and i can't transfer them elsewhere. Can I create a new partition and use rufus...
  3. How can I create a Windows 10 bootable usb on Macbook?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I create a Windows 10 bootable usb on Macbook?: I need to create a windows 10 bootable usb on my macbook and I was wondering if anyone could provide some detailed instructions on how to do this? I've tried a few methods but I keep running into errors. Any help would be appreciated, thank you! I know bootcamp exists but I...
  4. How can I create a Windows 10 bootable usb on Macbook?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create a Windows 10 bootable usb on Macbook?: I need to create a windows 10 bootable usb on my macbook and I was wondering if anyone could provide some detailed instructions on how to do this? I've tried a few methods but I keep running into errors. Any help would be appreciated, thank you! I know bootcamp exists but I...
  5. How can I create a Windows 10 bootable usb on Macbook?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Creating a bootable USB drive from a Mac

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive from a Mac: Hey everyone, need some help creating a bootable windows 10 USB drive with a MacBook Pro 2017 era. From what I’ve gathered I can’t use windows media creation tool, and boot camp assistant on my computer will not allow me to set my USB as the destination for the ISO files....
  7. Creating a bootable usb from ISO

Creating a bootable usb from ISO: If I create a bootable usb from the ISO file, does that ISO file remain the same in the sense that I can use it to to an In-Place Repair or reinstall Windows?...
  8. Create bootable USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Create bootable USB: Hi community, I'm creating a bootable usb by rufus. It give me 3 options: 1, Create with legacy BIOS or UEFI 2, Create with only UEFI 3, Create with only legacy BIOS Can someone explain to me these 3 options, and your recommendation option ? Thank you, have a good day !...
  9. How do I create Win 10 usb bootable from a MacBook Air?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I create Win 10 usb bootable from a MacBook Air?: Please give me a detail version not a summary or if you know a video that works let me know. I have watched YouTube vids on it but all are varying and under the comments people say it doesn’t work. I am finally switching from Mac to pc, my pc is almost done building. Software...
  10. How can I create a bootable Win RE in USB Flash drive?

How can I create a bootable Win RE in USB Flash drive?: Hello, How can I create a bootable Win RE in USB Flash drive? Thanks Daniel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-create-a-bootable-win-re-in-usb-flash/2953414f-1231-493c-8af2-58d2990fbf40

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i create a bootable windows for another pc