Windows 10: Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive?

Discus and support Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So the thing is that I have a C drive which is a system boot drive and is an SSD. The HDD I have is used for everything else. Also, I regularly create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MayankVerma3, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive?

So the thing is that I have a C drive which is a system boot drive and is an SSD. The HDD I have is used for everything else. Also, I regularly create backups in the D drive in the HDD. Now I thought that I should separate out space for backups and move the empty space along with the contents to another drive. So when I went into the disk management, I shrank and then extended the volume of the F drive making all the drives dynamic even the E drive which was not involved. I searched on the net and found that I can't boot anything from the dynamic drive. I think that's not a problem for me a

:)

MayankVerma3, Jul 10, 2021

2. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive? :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive? :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jul 10, 2021
  3. Geekoid Win User
    Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Jul 10, 2021
  4. PVR_235 Win User

Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive?

how to change Dynamic drive to primary drive !!

Hi All,

Hope you are doing well !!

i want to convert Dynamic drive to Primary drive without losing data.

currently i have 4 drives (See below screenshot), i have one empty drive called windows servers 2012. so i would want to install windows server 2012 on that drive. when i was trying to install windows server 2012, all drives are showing Dynamic drives
    and i am unable to install OS on dynamic drives.

Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive? f3394ed9-af84-4808-8c27-a896a8cca748.png

Thank you in advance.

Moved From:

PVR_235, Jul 10, 2021
Thema:

Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive?

1. Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive? - Similar Threads - create backups dynamic

2. Windows 10 USB Backup Recovery drive can not be created why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 USB Backup Recovery drive can not be created why?: Hi,I wanted to create Recovery USB drive by following:Control panel/Recovery/Advanced recovery tools-Create a recovery drive, I click a window appears Create a recovery drive- check marked on Back up system files to the recovery drive then Next FROM here problem start,...
  3. Windows 10 USB Backup Recovery drive can not be created why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 USB Backup Recovery drive can not be created why?: Hi,I wanted to create Recovery USB drive by following:Control panel/Recovery/Advanced recovery tools-Create a recovery drive, I click a window appears Create a recovery drive- check marked on Back up system files to the recovery drive then Next FROM here problem start,...
  4. Windows 10 USB Backup Recovery drive can not be created why?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Dynamic Invalid Hard Drive Repair or Backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dynamic Invalid Hard Drive Repair or Backup: Hi Everyone! Not 100% sure this is the right place to post this but let me give you the situation. I recently had a computer with 2 4tb drives RAID 1 in it as my primary backups for my home. They were a little over 50% full when that motherboard died. I am trying to bring up...
  6. Can the Windows boot drive become a dynamic drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can the Windows boot drive become a dynamic drive?: I have a 1TB ssd and a 500gb ssd. I want to span both to make a 1.5TB partition. Will this work if the 1TB drive is my boot drive with Windows 10 on it? submitted by /u/Mike0057 [link] [comments]...
  7. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...
  8. Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup?: I have an SSD for my system and a regular (1TB) disk for data. I have a partition on the regular disk for an image backup but when I tried to create a new image backup for 1903, it says I need more room. I shrank the D partition and tried to extend the image backup partition....
  9. Can I backup to an internal drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I backup to an internal drive?: I am using Windows 10 with Dell that I purchased desktop that came with Windows 10. I back up my files to external hard drive without a problem but I want to back up my files to internal hard drive as well. Both. I just want to be safe. I click add driver but it didn't...
  10. Can the System Drive be a Dynamic disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can the System Drive be a Dynamic disc: Can the System Drive be a Dynamic disc and if so what are the issues? I have a 500G System drive and another 250G drive both SSDs. I would like to shrink the system drive to 250G and combine the remaining 250G partition with the other 250G drive in a 500G stripe set....