Windows 10: Can I delete any of these partition?

Discus and support Can I delete any of these partition? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There seems to be far too many recovery partitions and then some. This PC came with windows 8.1 but I upgraded to windows 10 a few months ago. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by saraneth, Jan 10, 2016.

1. saraneth Win User

Can I delete any of these partition?

There seems to be far too many recovery partitions and then some. This PC came with windows 8.1 but I upgraded to windows 10 a few months ago.

I also wondering if the proper recovery would take me back to 8.1 again or would it do a fresh install of 10. I hope it is 10.

Thanks for your time.

Can I delete any of these partition? [​IMG]

:)

saraneth, Jan 10, 2016

2. Can I delete these folders: ESD.old and $Windows-WS.old

ESD Folder saves downloaded Windows files before Feature upgrade starts. You can delete all of them. However, you might have to take ownership of that folder, for which steps are here:

https://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take-ownersh...

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 10, 2016
  3. JimOrr1 Win User
    Can I delete these folders: ESD.old and $Windows-WS.old

Thank you, however ownership wasn't an issue to delete the files. I appreciate the quick response.

JimOrr1, Jan 10, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Your partition layout is a bit of a mess. It will not affect your running, but is sub optimal.

If you are happy to reinstall all programs, and backup valuable data, I would be inclined to do a clean install of windows 10 deleting all partitions.

Then it will be setup with the partitions as you should have them.

cereberus, Jan 10, 2016
  5. amltzy Win User
    You can delete the 650MB recovery partition, and the OEM partition. on a GPT disk (UEFI boot mode enabled), it does create an EFI, MRS (won't show in Disk Management), Recovery, and C: drive. If you install Windows 10 on an MBR disk, it only needs System Reserved partition and C: drive. When you upgrade Windows 8.1 to 10, Windows 10 will create a recovery partition if your system reserved partition (MBR disk) or Recovery Partition doesn't have enough disk space. As you know, Windows can only shrink a partition from the right side, so the 450 MB recovery partition is new created, which should not be deleted if you want to use recovery options.From Microsoft Help with upgrading to Windows 10 - Windows Help
    , under "Can i go back to my old operating system", "Note: If the manufacturer set up your PC to run from a compressed Windows image file (also known as Windows image file boot or WIMBoot) and included the option to restore factory settings, that option will no longer be available after you upgrade to Windows 10." Therefore, you can delete the OEM recovery partition. To see more details, you can read: The Recovery Partition After Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8 Recovery Partition After Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8

amltzy, Jan 11, 2016
  6. saraneth Win User
    I used AOMEI Partition Assistant and was able to get rid of them. It also allowed me to merge c: with them all including the space before it. Took about 20minutes as it moved my entire C drive.

Those last 2 partitions there I am unable to remove so I assume they are important. Edit: Although I just noticed there is nothing in them...

I just don't know what I am going to do if I ever need to do a fresh install on Win10. If what I have been reading around is correct I might even have to use a pirated copy, which I don't really want to do.

Can I delete any of these partition? [​IMG]

saraneth, Jan 11, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    DO NOT DO THIS.

You will break the system. Although EFI partitition is showing as free (same on my pc), it is not. You need this partition. The other is less important.

cereberus, Jan 11, 2016
  8. brummyfan Win User

Yes, don't delete those partitions but move your C partition to the end with AOMEI partition assistant.
    https://www.partition-assistant.com/...partition.html

brummyfan, Jan 11, 2016
  9. saraneth Win User
    I tried google. Looked at quite a few places but found it hard to find a definitive answer. But it seems the EFI partition is the boot partition?? So without it I would not be able to boot windows?

Is there any reason I should move it to the end?

saraneth, Jan 11, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Just leave it alone. Do not change anything now. The two partitions are tiny now.

cereberus, Jan 11, 2016
  11. saraneth Win User
    That is true. The main reason I started this little endeavour was to free up some room. I got an extra 25.55GB so I am happy.

Thanks *Smile

But yeah, is the EFI the boot partition? Or does it have another function?

saraneth, Jan 11, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    see

Understanding Disk Partitions

cereberus, Jan 11, 2016
  13. saraneth Win User

saraneth, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I delete any of these partition? - Similar Threads - delete partition

2. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  3. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  4. I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition: I had a dual boot of windows and Ubuntu, but while digitally cleaning up my laptop, I accidentally deleted Ubuntu's partition.Now I am stuck with the grub 2.0 console. And this is an HP laptop 5 which has a UEFI system. I heard that in a UEFI system we can simply change the...
  5. I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition

I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition: I had a dual boot of windows and Ubuntu, but while digitally cleaning up my laptop, I accidentally deleted Ubuntu's partition.Now I am stuck with the grub 2.0 console. And this is an HP laptop 5 which has a UEFI system. I heard that in a UEFI system we can simply change the...
  6. How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?: I have an HP laptop 15-r014tx. The specifications are : https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04337700 .I recently upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 12 GB4GB existing + 8GB new. I also installed a new 256GB SSD and the existing HDD was moved to the CD/DVD drive slot. Now, I do not...
  7. How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?: I have an HP laptop 15-r014tx. The specifications are : https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04337700 .I recently upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 12 GB4GB existing + 8GB new. I also installed a new 256GB SSD and the existing HDD was moved to the CD/DVD drive slot. Now, I do not...
  8. How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?

9. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...
  10. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is there any reason to keep the oem partition