Windows 10: Can I Delete CBS Files?

Discus and support Can I Delete CBS Files? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Please see attachment. I used to delete these text files every week during my cleanup routine. Now, I guess because of CU, I don't have authority to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by vanp, Sep 4, 2017.

1. vanp Win User

Can I Delete CBS Files?

Please see attachment. I used to delete these text files every week during my cleanup routine. Now, I guess because of CU, I don't have authority to do that. I get a message that I must get authority from SYSTEM.

First, assuming I can do this somehow, which of these items can I safely delete? Any log file is garbage as far as I'm concerned, and I'll delete everything here if I can.

Second, I saw somewhere that I could disable Windows Modules Installer, delete the stuff, then re-enable WMI. However, it's already not running, and there doesn't seem to be any problem because of it.

So, what can I delete, and what's the best way to get ability/authority to do that? I've looked through the screens about getting authority from another entity. If that's what I have to do, somebody will need to guide me through that process, step-by-step.

Thanks to anybody who can help.

P.S. This is the 2nd time I've uploaded an attachment in this forum. I see the first one is still there. Should I delete these things (I assume this can be done) once my problem is resolved?

:)

vanp, Sep 4, 2017
  2. PaulPChou Win User

my windows folder is taking up 300GB of my space. Why?

You can delete the file(s) in the logs, cbs. It is safe to do it. You might have to take ownership to delete them.

PaulPChou, Sep 4, 2017
  3. Windows 10 takes 111 GB !!!!!

Suspected it was the CBS logs.

Delete all those logs in the CBS logs folder to free up space.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 4, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Can I Delete CBS Files?

It's your machine, and you can do as you see fit.....but all log files are not garbage. Persistently deleting any an all logs files you encounter on a daily basis will likely cause an error or a BSOD at some point. Windows 10 is not Windows 8 or 7 or XP. Many of those log files are there for a system purpose and will be deleted by the system when no longer needed.

In the case of the CBS files and folders, there may be uncommitted changes the system needs to do after a restart, and deleting all things CBS may corrupt your data store.

In short, over-cleaning in your sense may be dangerous. Please take caution.

f14tomcat, Sep 4, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    If you delete the previous attachment your other thread in which it appears will no longer show the picture. That would make the thread less useful to other who are looking for a solution to the same problem. Best to leave it there to help others.

Bree, Sep 4, 2017
  6. vanp Win User
    Thanks, f14tomcat and Bree, for responding.

f14tomcat, I'm not deleting everything I see, but I have been deleting the CBS and DISM log files (along with other stuff, not all of it Windows) every week for maybe a few months. There's been no problem, and things get re-created when they're needed. Also, notice that one of the files is over 26MB. If this thing self-maintains and disappears or at least gets a lot smaller, OK, but I'll delete these things if I can. Given that I've been doing this for a while without problem, does it seem safe to continue? Also, are you saying that Windows/some component thereof, will, under some condition, actually try to read these files looking for some information?

vanp, Sep 4, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Being there are thousands of individual system log files, it's impossible to define under what condition and circumstances Windows may look for a certain one. I based most of my reply on the one comment you made, which I took 99% literally. "Any log file is garbage as far as I'm concerned, and I'll delete everything here if I can."

It is simply not necessary to be that squeaky clean. The example of space used in that one file, 26MB, is not exorbitant. Many system log files will overwrite themselves over time. You don't say in your system specs how large your drive is, or whether it's a SSD or HDD, so it's hard to say what the impact of a 26MB file would have on your system; I suspect not much.

I don't know if you periodically run Disk Cleanup or not. It's part of the regular Windows maintenance, but can be manually run. It's designed to delete and cleanup system files no longer needed, including log files.....safely.

Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

f14tomcat, Sep 4, 2017
  8. vanp Win User

Can I Delete CBS Files?

f14tomcat , thanks again.

The drive type and space are not a concern. My attitude is: garbage, gone. I don't care if it's one byte. Systems generally do a lousy job of cleaning up after themselves. For example, NVIDIA has told me of some of their stuff I can delete. Same with the Pale Moon browser. I do run Disk Cleanup once a week, along with CCleaner, but no cleaning tool gets everything.

As for this 26MB file, I'll watch it awhile and see what happens. Again, thanks.

vanp, Sep 4, 2017
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

True. I use Wise Disk Cleaner on top of the two you mentioned and am still at a loss as to why several installs on the same machine show disk usage discrepancies in the order of several Gb.
    Sometimes I reset the machine using an online source and it reduces the used space quite a lot even keeping all the installed software and personal files.
    Go figure.... ??
    Same MB, same amount of RAM etc. Odd.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can I Delete CBS Files?

1. Can I Delete CBS Files? - Similar Threads - Delete CBS Files

2. corrupted cbs files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    corrupted cbs files: My PC keeps getting the bsod. I ran the scan health, restore health & scansfx code to fix the problem and it turns out like this How can I fix the corrupted files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupted-cbs-files/fc98b420-8618-48cc-8866-c7af1cc867ec
  3. corrupted cbs files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    corrupted cbs files: My PC keeps getting the bsod. I ran the scan health, restore health & scansfx code to fix the problem and it turns out like this How can I fix the corrupted files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupted-cbs-files/fc98b420-8618-48cc-8866-c7af1cc867ec
  4. Problem of cbs file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem of cbs file: My cbs file got corrupted and windows is not resetting help me what to do *Moved from feedback forum. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-of-cbs-file/1b56b702-bb8a-4c2f-a45b-781afa3866cb
  5. Problem of cbs file

Problem of cbs file: My cbs file got corrupted and windows is not resetting help me what to do *Moved from feedback forum. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-of-cbs-file/1b56b702-bb8a-4c2f-a45b-781afa3866cb
  6. Problem of cbs file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Can I delete this file?

Can I delete this file?: Hi, so am I able to delete this txt file called end in my local disk. There is nothing in it but I am really paranoid that it might do something to my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-this-file/36c16fd9-6f11-4ee0-8d33-4e7a6ab10be6
  8. CBS Persist File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CBS Persist File: Since i cannot delete cbs.logs because it is the latest, can i delete cbs persist winrar files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cbs-persist-file/c2e359ac-cba7-43f5-b241-7cb7d9f983b3
  9. CBS Persist File

CBS Persist File: Since i cannot delete cbs.logs because it is the latest, can i delete cbs persist winrar files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cbs-persist-file/c2e359ac-cba7-43f5-b241-7cb7d9f983b3
  10. CBS log file translation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CBS log file translation: I am having issues with some log files that was created after i performed a sfc /scannow. It gave me an error stating that I had some corrupted files. I then performed Deployment Imaging Service Management scan (DISM /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth) which ran 100%...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. delete the cbs file

2. can i delete cbs