Windows 10: Can I Delete Local Disk Drives?

Discus and support Can I Delete Local Disk Drives? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two local disk drives R (used 6.38GB) and W (182MB) that appeared after I attempted to install BitLocker. I changed my mind and stopped the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SheriLynn1240, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Can I Delete Local Disk Drives?

I have two local disk drives R (used 6.38GB) and W (182MB) that appeared after I attempted to install BitLocker. I changed my mind and stopped the install before it was finished. My question is, can I delete them without harm to my computer?

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1316

:)

SheriLynn1240, Jan 14, 2021

2. Recovering Local Disk

Thank you for your quick response.

It could be a compatibility issue with the latest update and your local disk. We suggest updating your disk driver. Follow these steps:

• On the Start, type Device Manager.
    • Locate and select Disk drives.
    • Right-click on your disk drive, select Properties.
    • Go to the Driver tab and choose Update Driver.
    • Once done, click OK.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Airider Win User
    why do 2 Local Disks get isolated?

This HP has a new SSD. I just now found this and wonder if it is stupids and/or dangerous to try <

"How to delete EFI partition with Diskpart

Step 1. Hit "Windows Key + R to open the run dialogue box, enter "diskpart" and click "OK" to open a black command prompt window.
    Step 2. Type "list disk" to display all the disks of your computer. Type "select disk n" to identify which disk you need to work with. Here n stands for the disk letter.
    Step 3. Type "list partition" to display all the volumes on the hard drive. Type "select partition n" to identify which partition you want to remove. Here n stands for the volume letter.
    Step 4. Type "delete partition override" to remove the EFI partition. Finally, type "exit" to close the windows when you receive the message says, DiskPart successfully deleted the selected partition"

just for a better understanding, but not wanting to complete it, I took these steps >

Can I Delete Local Disk Drives? [​IMG]

in this context >

Can I Delete Local Disk Drives? [​IMG]

so C: should be using 70GB I assume (461- 391)

Am sure my lack of expert knowledge is showing!

Airider, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Can I Delete Local Disk Drives?

External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that the external hard drive is showing as local disk drive instead of a USB drive, it is because the file format for the external hard drive is same as the internal hard drive and that’s why it is showing
    up as a local disk drive and not a USB drive.

Also, since you are facing issues while changing the drive letter of the drive, for further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. What is the make and model of the hard drive?
    2. Were you able to save or create a file on the hard drive previously?
    3. What happens when you try to copy and paste the data from the hard drive?
    4. What was the result of check disk performed on the drive?

Since you are receiving the access denied error, I would suggest you to check if the user has appropriate permissions to read/write data on the external hard drive. Refer the article

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    , refer the section
    I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders.

Note:
    The above article applies to Windows 10 also.

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you further with the issue.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Can I Delete Local Disk Drives?

1. Can I Delete Local Disk Drives? - Similar Threads - Delete Local Disk

2. Deleted Disk drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted Disk drive: I probably accidentally deleted disk drive D, that i can't found. I tried the "Rescan Disks" in disk management, and i also tried "System Restore" in "create a restore point", but in vain, none of these solutions worked out.Can you please help me if possible to restore the...
  3. Deleted Disk drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted Disk drive: I probably accidentally deleted disk drive D, that i can't found. I tried the "Rescan Disks" in disk management, and i also tried "System Restore" in "create a restore point", but in vain, none of these solutions worked out.Can you please help me if possible to restore the...
  4. should I delete these files in Local disk C

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    should I delete these files in Local disk C: should I delete these files in Local disk C [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-delete-these-files-in-local-disk-c/854570b5-e7d1-43e6-86d8-b5eda089bb86
  5. Can I delete ProgramData folder at Local Disk C?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I delete ProgramData folder at Local Disk C?: [ATTACH] After I just updated my computer, I saw a bunch of new files including "ProgramData" folder, it contains 3.26 Gigabytes size but it doesn't consume my storage. If I delete this folder, will it crash or disable some of my apps or data? Will it increase my storage...
  6. How can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:): Some context: Initially, I only had the C: drive as my Local Disk drive. Then months ago, I had a tech guy fix some problems with my computer, install some apps and an additional RAM stick, but didn’t watch him working so didn’t know what was going on. It seems like the guy...
  7. Can I delete AppsData/Local folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I delete AppsData/Local folders: My AppsData/Locals directory contains hundreds of folders with names like this {0A9C8663-B157-4388-A77F-B3654162B421}. I looked at a few and they are all empty. What are they and can they be deleted?...
  8. Restart Prompt to delete local disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Restart Prompt to delete local disk: Every time I restart or turn on my laptop, I get a UAC-type window coming up that says "Folder Access Denied You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder Local Disk Space free: xxxGB...
  9. Unknown Local Disk drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unknown Local Disk drive: I have an unknown drive on my computer. My computer is about 3 years old. It has a Windows C drive, a Recovery D drive, a DVD E drive and a Local Disk F drive (which has 896 MB free of 914 MB and the Properties say it was created on May 21, 2018). What can this F drive be...
  10. How do I delete useless Local Disks?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How do I delete useless Local Disks?: Hello! *Smile New member here. I have a problem with Local Disks being created every time I mount a virtual drive. Once I remove the virtual drive, an entry is left in explorer that will not go away. Over time, new ones keep being added, and it will go all the way up...