Windows 10: Can I delete one EFI partition?

Discus and support Can I delete one EFI partition? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi at all! I have used this procedure to move from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. Now msinfo32 shows UEFI, but I have two EFI partitions. See here: [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by FonzTech, Jan 23, 2017.

1. FonzTech Win User

Can I delete one EFI partition?

Hi at all! I have used this procedure to move from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. Now msinfo32 shows UEFI, but I have two EFI partitions. See here:

Can I delete one EFI partition? [​IMG]

Can I delete the third partition, without making my system unbootable?

Thanks in advance!

:)

FonzTech, Jan 23, 2017

2. Can I delete Recovery, EFI and OEM Partitions?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Recovery partition consists of some important boot files and other tools. Recovery partition is created by the System Manufacturer, in case you may want to revert back to the factory settings and for troubleshooting purposes.
    It is not recommended to delete the recovery partition. If you wish to delete this partition, then you will have to get in touch with the system manufacturer.

I suggest you not to remove the recovery partitions. If the partitions are deleted you will not be able to use the recovery options.

Hope this information is helpful.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jan 23, 2017
  3. Can I delete Recovery, EFI and OEM Partitions?

You need to resize that partition which is saying you low space.For that Download Ease us partition manager

and reshuffle the size to ~800 MB or more.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I would have expected to see
    a. a Recovery partition - 450Mb. Without that, you have no Advanced Recovery options or automatic repair on restart should things go wrong.
    b. a 16Mb System partition.

Can I delete one EFI partition? [​IMG]

dalchina, Jan 23, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You should be able to delete that middle EFI system partition. This is what I would do. Make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD of Kyhi's recover tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Boot the computer from it (to make sure it works, for one reason). Use Macrium Reflect Free to make an image backup of both the EFI System partitions. You can use AEOMI partition assistant on the same flash drive/DVD to delete the middle EFI system partition, then reboot the computer from the HDD/SSD. If it has a problem, boot back to Kyhi's recovery tools and restore the EFI system partition you deleted from the backup image and then attempt to delete the other EFI system partition from the HDD/SSD.

NavyLCDR, Jan 23, 2017
  6. FonzTech Win User
    Thanks for the reply!

I was wondering a thing: can I boot Ubuntu from USB, then delete that middle partition using the manual partition manager in the installer, and finally extend the main partition of my HDD on Windows?

FonzTech, Jan 23, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Not sure. I know you would be able to with the partitioning program on Kyhi's recovery drive.

NavyLCDR, Jan 24, 2017
  8. topgundcp Win User

From Windows, just use diskpart to delete the partition. Open admin comnmand prompt and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 3
    delete partition override
    exit

NOTE: I am assuming you want to delete the partition next to C drive which is partition 3.

topgundcp, Jan 24, 2017
  9. FonzTech Win User
    Thanks, topgundcp!!! I knew that command would have worked, but I was afraid of losing my data.
    Now I have also expanded my C:\ drive, filling the remaining 100 MB.

FonzTech, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I delete one EFI partition? - Similar Threads - delete EFI partition

2. can i move EFI Partitions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i move EFI Partitions?: I wanted to extend a particular partition Specifically drive C:, as I have about 80gb of unallocated space, and the C: partition is completely full, however, there is an EFI partition in the way, and as windows has no functionality with assigning two different sections of a...
  3. can i move EFI Partitions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i move EFI Partitions?: I wanted to extend a particular partition Specifically drive C:, as I have about 80gb of unallocated space, and the C: partition is completely full, however, there is an EFI partition in the way, and as windows has no functionality with assigning two different sections of a...
  4. can i move EFI Partitions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. which one of "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy Recovery partition" should I delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    which one of "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy Recovery partition" should I delete: I recently deleted windows 10 that was installed in my HDD and I installed windows 11 on my SSD and if you look at the screenshot, the 122 GB deleted volume is where my windows 10 was installed and now I'm confused that should I delete "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy...
  6. which one of "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy Recovery partition" should I delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    which one of "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy Recovery partition" should I delete: I recently deleted windows 10 that was installed in my HDD and I installed windows 11 on my SSD and if you look at the screenshot, the 122 GB deleted volume is where my windows 10 was installed and now I'm confused that should I delete "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy...
  7. Should I delete this EFI Partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I delete this EFI Partition?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/not_sahil [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lkgptx/should_i_delete_this_efi_partition/
  8. EFI Partition on both SSD and HDD; can I safely delete the one in HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    EFI Partition on both SSD and HDD; can I safely delete the one in HDD: When I installed Windows 10 on the SSD, I didn't remove the HDD (it's on an Acer Aspire E5-475G laptop and it was difficult to physically remove it). So I created a new EFI Partition on the SSD. Now I have an EFI partition in both my HDD and my SSD. [img] So I was...
  9. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  10. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...