Windows 10: Can I delete temporary User Profiles and folders from Users directory?

Discus and support Can I delete temporary User Profiles and folders from Users directory? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am trying to determine whether I can delete TEMP User Profiles. One of my Win 10 Pro machines was updated to Version 1903 last night. After rebooting... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by WalterH, Jul 25, 2019.

1. WalterH Win User

Can I delete temporary User Profiles and folders from Users directory?

I am trying to determine whether I can delete TEMP User Profiles. One of my Win 10 Pro machines was updated to Version 1903 last night. After rebooting and trying to log in, I received the message "The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in." I was about the try repairing the registry but decided to just do several reboots. For some reason, this fixed the sign-in issue. However, now I notice that four temporary User Profiles were created, all starting with TEMP.

Can I delete temporary User Profiles and folders from Users directory? [​IMG]

Looking at the registry entries in ProfileList, I see the entry ending in 1001 (which is for user haisler) and the one ending in 1003 (which is for user adminwh), and these look OK and work OK for sign-in. So my sign-in problem is fixed. None of the entries in the ProfileList are connected to the TEMP user profiles.

Can I delete temporary User Profiles and folders from Users directory? [​IMG]

Looking at folders/files stored for the User profiles starting with TEMP (like Desktop, Documents, etc), I don't see any files there the are connected to the main user (haisler).

So Questions: Is it safe to delete the four folders starting with TEMP in the Users directory? Is there any other step that needs to be taken to delete these four User Profiles and associated files?

:)

WalterH, Jul 25, 2019

2. Temporary user deleted all my files. windows 10

Hi Nicolai,

A temporary user account occurs when the profile gets corrupted. To isolate your concern, we'd like to ask the following questions:

• Can you still access the temporary user account?
    • Are you able to access your main account?
    • Did you save the files on the Documents folder?

The files are saved in a temporary folder. To check if the files are still in the :

• Open File Explorer and double-click the C drive.
    • Open the Users folder.
    • The Users folder contains all the accounts including the temporary user account that was created. Check the contents of these folders until you find the files you are looking for.

Let us know if you'll be able to find the files on your computer.

Kristoffer Abs, Jul 25, 2019
  3. User Lost. Temporary profile Win10

Hi Antonio,

I realize that the Temporary profile is gone from Windows 10 pc. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

• Did you create that Temporary user profile?

• Was that Temporary profile a standard account or the Microsoft account?

Reply to us with more information to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jul 25, 2019
  4. Can I delete temporary User Profiles and folders from Users directory?

How to completely delete the files and folders of the corrupted profile and rename the same user profile name in the newly created user profile in Windows 10?

Hello Ian,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Method 1: You can delete the files and folders from the corrupted user from
    File explorer by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open
      File explorer.

• Click on This PC located at the left side panel of the window to open the drives of the PC.

• Go to users folder by opening the
      C: drive.

• From users folder, locate the user folder you want to delete and
      press Shift + Delete keys on the keyboard.

• After the process is complete, close the window and check if the files and folders are deleted.

Method 2: I suggest you to refer to the suggestion by
    Annu Singh from the link below to rename the user profile and check if it helps.

Rename User Account Folder in Windows 10 Preview

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

Can I delete temporary User Profiles and folders from Users directory?

1. Can I delete temporary User Profiles and folders from Users directory? - Similar Threads - delete temporary User

2. Weird user profile folders in C:/Users - can I delete them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird user profile folders in C:/Users - can I delete them?: I recently bought a new computer and installed Windows 11. The system automatically named my user profile folder based on my Microsoft account's name the folder name is blocked in green in the screenshot. However, I do not like the name automatically given to my user profile...
  3. Weird user profile folders in C:/Users - can I delete them?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird user profile folders in C:/Users - can I delete them?: I recently bought a new computer and installed Windows 11. The system automatically named my user profile folder based on my Microsoft account's name the folder name is blocked in green in the screenshot. However, I do not like the name automatically given to my user profile...
  4. cant login to temporary user profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant login to temporary user profile: Out of the blue this morning, when I turned on my PC I got that "You have been logged in with a temporary profile" message. I can't log off and log in with another user because there is only one option to choose from..When I click on Computer - Local Disk C: - Users, it...
  5. Delete User Profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete User Profile: I see a second user profile that auto pops up at the Windows Hello sign in. It asks for the username and password and I believe it's an account I accidentally created somehow. How do I delete this profile? I checked in Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Manage...
  6. Temporary user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Temporary user profile: How do I change a temporary profile to a permanent one so that I don't lose settings and data every time I close down? I tried A. User's instruction but I got stuck at the net user administrator /active:yes command. This started when I tried to block certain websites by...
  7. Weird User Folder in Users Directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird User Folder in Users Directory: I have noticed that in my Users directory that the folder name for one of my users is "DESKTOP.7MODD72". Anyone have any experience with this happening? If so, what caused it? Windows 10 - Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763 submitted by /u/e-_-v [link] [comments]...
  8. Deleted files and data as it was a temporary user profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted files and data as it was a temporary user profile: Windows technical advisor recovered my documents and files. All on my desktop. I had lost access to them as i was logged into a temporary user profile. Anyways i have take computer to a shop, the guy checked whole hard drive, nothing is there. He thinks the advisor cut all...
  9. Temporary User Profile Made me delete files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporary User Profile Made me delete files: Hi, I recently booted my PC after the battery went down. Everything was normal until i reached my dekstop where I realised it had been cleaned. All my folders had disappeared. I did not know at the time that Windows logged me up in a temporary profile (without telling me...
  10. Modify the temporary user profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Modify the temporary user profile: Hi, Many family members and their children come to my house and use my laptop. However, several times, they have wrecked my personal user account. I have setup a local account for this matter, called Visitor. In the users folder, I renamed 'visitor' to 'visitor1', so...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i delete temp folders temporary profile after fixed