Windows 10: Can I Delete The content of C:\Windows\Temp folder?

Discus and support Can I Delete The content of C:\Windows\Temp folder? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! Pretty auto-explainable question. Can I Delete The content of C:\Windows\Temp folder? (Don't confuse it with C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rafael Machado Bueno, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Can I Delete The content of C:\Windows\Temp folder?

Hi!

Pretty auto-explainable question. Can I Delete The content of C:\Windows\Temp folder? (Don't confuse it with C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local).

I believe there's a ton of files up there and I'd want to remove it, but I'm not sure if it is safe. Can I do so?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Rafael Machado Bueno, Jun 1, 2019
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Can I Delete The content of C:\Windows\Temp folder? ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jun 1, 2019
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Is it safe to delete the Temp folder in C:/Windows/Temp?

Yes, all *files* in the temp folder (not the folder itself) can, and should be, deleted periodically.

The temp folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example,
    if the program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

Also note that there are some program installations which work in two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
    them when it's done).

Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use
    by an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them the
    next time you delete manually.

Some people may suggest that you reboot before deleting anything, but that's not necessary, for the reason described above (on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to do it).

Ken Blake, Jun 1, 2019
  4. Can I Delete The content of C:\Windows\Temp folder?

Win 10 - Folder and files in C:\Windows\Temp\NC5pBB

Thank you for the suggestions.

To answer your question as to what happened when this was first seen,

• updated Win10 with the anniversary update
    • my antivirus notified about a C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00007eb1\tmp00000000 file, which was quarantined and subsequently I deleted through the antivirus
    Now I see that there is a C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00007eb1\tmp00000000 file there, which the antivirus says is clean and I can delete, but I cannot delete the C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00007eb1\ folder!

From your suggestions:

1. Run the sfc /scannow command

It came back with:

W i n d o w s R e s o u r c e P r o t e c t i o n d i d n o t f i n d a n y i n t e g r i t y v i o l a t i o n s .

2. Rebooted

I was able to delete the NC5pBB folder and all its contents.

I was not able to delete the tmp00007eb1 folder

I could delete the tmp00000000 file

3. Did a clean boot

I was able to delete the NC5pBB folder and all its contents.

I was not able to delete the tmp00007eb1 folder

I could delete the tmp00000000 file

4. Did a regular boot

The NC5pBB folder came back, with a bunch of contents similar to the original post.

I was able to delete the folder and its contents.

The tmp00000000 file came back and I was able to delete it.

I was not able to delete the tmp00007eb1 folder.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

sec&msft, Jun 1, 2019
Thema:

Can I Delete The content of C:\Windows\Temp folder?

1. Can I Delete The content of C:\Windows\Temp folder? - Similar Threads - Delete content WindowsTemp

2. Can I delete a folder on C drive safely?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I delete a folder on C drive safely?: Recently I wanted to clear storage on my c drive so I uninstalled some architecture related software like revit and AutoCad as I no longer needed them. After the installation some storage had freed up but not as much as a thought it would. I opened the C drive and found a 22...
  3. can I delete content of .snap folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can I delete content of .snap folder: My .snap folder is quite larger and I was wondering if I could delete all or some of it's contents?Thanks.Peter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-content-of-snap-folder/ebf438cd-66e0-4508-aeb8-8634aa618aa9
  4. can I delete content of .snap folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I delete content of .snap folder: My .snap folder is quite larger and I was wondering if I could delete all or some of it's contents?Thanks.Peter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-content-of-snap-folder/ebf438cd-66e0-4508-aeb8-8634aa618aa9
  5. can I delete content of .snap folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can I delete contents of temp folder in appdata folder ?

Can I delete contents of temp folder in appdata folder ?: Hi community ,Im falling short on disk space so i wanted to delete some unnecessary stuff . So , is it safe to delete contents in temp folder , which is located in Appdata folder . Pls provide me a suggestion .Regards,Manas...
  7. can delete previous C folder

can delete previous C folder: After moving windows from HDD to SDD, can I delete the data in previous C folder which is now f folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-delete-previous-c-folder/6cd7d1f2-5cc0-4dfe-bd52-2e40a1fc729b
  8. Can I delete ESD folder in c drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I delete ESD folder in c drive.: Hi, I observed a file name ESD in c drive and can i delete it because my c drive is filled. Is this file from media creation tool where I wanted to repair windows 10....
  9. Can I delete the contents of this folder

Can I delete the contents of this folder: Und On my C:\ drive I have a folder called Windows 10 Upgrade. Can the contents of this folder be deleted as it contains 20.0GB? I can't remember it being there before 20Hi 2004 install....
  10. Can I delete "C:\Windows10Upgrade" folder?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I delete "C:\Windows10Upgrade" folder?: There is a 15 MB folder named C:\Windows10Upgrade dated Aug 3, 2016, that puts an icon on the desktop "Windows 10 Upgrade". I don't know what it is. Maybe from the assisted Anniversary upgrade? Can the folder be deleted without causing problems? Thank you. 66486

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can I delete contents of C:\windows\temp

2. can be deleted windows\temp folder

3. can c:/windows/temp be deleted

4. delete folder windows/temp,
  5. can i delete windows temp,
  6. can I safely delete c:\windows\temp