Windows 10: Can I delete the installer folder to get more free space?

Discus and support Can I delete the installer folder to get more free space? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 - 64 bit 20H2 (OS Build 19042.985).I have a 231GB SSD as the main C drive partition while 1TB HDD is the D drive of my laptop. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by archz2, May 21, 2021.

1. archz2 Win User

Can I delete the installer folder to get more free space?

I'm running Windows 10 - 64 bit 20H2 (OS Build 19042.985).I have a 231GB SSD as the main C drive partition while 1TB HDD is the D drive of my laptop. I only use C drive for software and windows installation in order to have maximum speed. Even the desktop folder is in my D drive. I use my HDD for all regular day-to-day storage of files. I was running a scan of my drive to find heavy files and folders through a free software SpaceSniffer and found a huge installer folder. Its address is C:\Windows\Installer Disk cleanup does not clean this folder. I have used both the regular mode and "cleanup system files" mode. How can I clean the files in this folder safely or reduce the size of this folder so that I have more free space in my C drive?

:)

archz2, May 21, 2021

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Can I delete the installer folder to get more free space? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Can I delete the installer folder to get more free space? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, May 21, 2021
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Can I delete the installer folder to get more free space? ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, May 21, 2021
  4. Can I delete the installer folder to get more free space?

C windows installer folder - Delete?

So I personally don't have any problems with this folder at the moment but one of my friends is wondering if it's safe to delete everything in that folder since he is trying to free up some space on his hard drive. Thanks!

BondExtreme, May 21, 2021
Thema:

Can I delete the installer folder to get more free space?

1. Can I delete the installer folder to get more free space? - Similar Threads - delete installer folder

2. How can I free up more space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I free up more space?: My windows 10 is telling me i’m using 222GB of storage. I have lots of large games but they are all definitely downloaded to my external storage device, not my actual pc. that device has 2,000GB left. My pc is not letting me open google chrome or do anything because it has...
  3. How can I free up more space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I free up more space?: My windows 10 is telling me i’m using 222GB of storage. I have lots of large games but they are all definitely downloaded to my external storage device, not my actual pc. that device has 2,000GB left. My pc is not letting me open google chrome or do anything because it has...
  4. How can I free up more space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how can I delete files to free up space?

how can I delete files to free up space?: Please, I need to know how I can delete files to free up space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-delete-files-to-free-up-space/c123eea0-87ec-4cd7-bb1e-fb7ca0035b4b
  6. how can I delete files to free up space?

in Cortana
    how can I delete files to free up space?: Please, I need to know how I can delete files to free up space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-delete-files-to-free-up-space/c123eea0-87ec-4cd7-bb1e-fb7ca0035b4b
  7. how can I delete files to free up space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. can i free up ssd space by deleting Apps.ppkg in the hidden recovery folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i free up ssd space by deleting Apps.ppkg in the hidden recovery folder?: i understand that being hidden would itself be an indication NOT to delete this file......However the app packages also reside in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ * and hence the question whether is is ok to delete Apps.ppkg which is a rather large file...
  9. can i free up ssd space by deleting Apps.ppkg in the hidden recovery folder?

can i free up ssd space by deleting Apps.ppkg in the hidden recovery folder?: i understand that being hidden would itself be an indication NOT to delete this file......However the app packages also reside in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ * and hence the question whether is is ok to delete Apps.ppkg which is a rather large file...
  10. Why Cant I Delete the LCU Folder for More Space?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why Cant I Delete the LCU Folder for More Space?: I tried to manually delete the LCU folder. But I get a message saying it requires permission. I give it that permission but I still get this message coming up. I dont get it. Please see the message below.. [img] 156967