Windows 10: Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?

Discus and support Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! I bought a new SSD and cloned the OS from my HDD into it. I tried booting the computer without the HDD opened the computer, physically removed it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RominaFourcade, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?

Hi!

I bought a new SSD and cloned the OS from my HDD into it. I tried booting the computer without the HDD opened the computer, physically removed it and booted. It booted just fine but I noticed that the pathway for my apps is still C:/.... when the letter for the OS in the SSD is F:/... I was wondering if that would be a problem?

I am also adding screenshots of disk management and my files just in case Disco 0 being the HDD and Disco 1 being the SSD. It's in Spanish because my Windows is Single Language

Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD? 6afeb7cc-6d03-4864-b246-126a13ebc5d1?upload=true.png

This is a screenshot of my files OS C: is the old HDD drive, OS F: is the new one which doesn't have the little windows logo but I know the computer is booting from there ??

Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD? 0d291862-9671-42c2-99ab-fbaa59ccaf3a?upload=true.png

:)

RominaFourcade, Apr 9, 2021
  2. IcyTruth Win User

Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd

Not sure if this was answered(cant find 1) but recently cloned windows 10 from HDD to SSD. My HDD was setup as GPT and the partition was setup with the OS as almost the full 1tb size. I had and currently have alot of used space that i dont wanna lose if
    it can be avoided. The whole cloning process was a pain having to move stuff to the ssd then partition the empty space on hdd the move stuff to the new partition until I had less than 200g with the OS still there so I can clone it onto ssd after cleaning
    it. Os works fine(windows loads sooo much faster) old hdd works fine but wanna get rid of the old os on hdd without deleting anything else? Sorry so long and sadly I merged the partitions back to 1.

IcyTruth, Apr 9, 2021
  3. Redbatman Win User
    Delete OS Partition on HDD

Hi so tomorrow I'm going to change my OS from an HDD to an SSD. Thing is that I want to use my HDD that I'm replacing as back up storage and I heard you can keep your info from the old HDD without having to format it, but you can delete the OS partition of the drive. Anyone know how to do that here?

Redbatman, Apr 9, 2021
  4. neilpzz Win User

Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?

Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd

I realise what you are trying to do but it's best to make sure the SSD boots on its own without the HDD connected. Some users have found the old drive still has some boot files and when disconnecting the HDD windows won't boot on the SSD.

The best way would be to backup what you want to keep from the HDD and delete all partitions, create a new partition and format it. Then copy back from your external backup.

The two extra partitions only amount to 600MB, you could delete those in Disk Management. Otherwise use File Explorer to delete the windows folder on the HDD. If you show hidden files you will probably find there are other windows files like the hibernate
    and pagefile. (which could be a few GB) There's also Program Files and Program Files (x86).

neilpzz, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?

1. Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD? - Similar Threads - delete whole partition

2. Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?: I have a 3TB HDD that I have been using for many years, and it is starting to slow down. is there any way I can move my boot data onto a smaller HDD or SSD and keep my current HDD as a storage drive? all the guides online are talking about moving from one drive to another of...
  3. How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?: How to delete old HDD OS. Used to have my windows on a HDD and Cleaned Installed on a new M.2. I'm ok with losing the files of the old HDD windows but I partitioned drive that has 500mb of storage that I cant delete.I have a new MoBo and Processor that has m.2. I clean...
  4. How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?: How to delete old HDD OS. Used to have my windows on a HDD and Cleaned Installed on a new M.2. I'm ok with losing the files of the old HDD windows but I partitioned drive that has 500mb of storage that I cant delete.I have a new MoBo and Processor that has m.2. I clean...
  5. How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD

Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD: I recently installed an SSD and cloned W10 onto it from my old HDD Disk 0. I now want to use that HDD for storage, but as you can see from the screen grab it has a system reserved partition J: and a Recovery Partition on it. [ATTACH] How do I delete the redundant system...
  7. Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd

Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd: Not sure if this was answered(cant find 1) but recently cloned windows 10 from HDD to SSD. My HDD was setup as GPT and the partition was setup with the OS as almost the full 1tb size. I had and currently have alot of used space that i dont wanna lose if it can be avoided....
  8. EFI Partition on both SSD and HDD; can I safely delete the one in HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    EFI Partition on both SSD and HDD; can I safely delete the one in HDD: When I installed Windows 10 on the SSD, I didn't remove the HDD (it's on an Acer Aspire E5-475G laptop and it was difficult to physically remove it). So I created a new EFI Partition on the SSD. Now I have an EFI partition in both my HDD and my SSD. [img] So I was...
  9. Delete OS Partition on HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete OS Partition on HDD: Hi so tomorrow I'm going to change my OS from an HDD to an SSD. Thing is that I want to use my HDD that I'm replacing as back up storage and I heard you can keep your info from the old HDD without having to format it, but you can delete the OS partition of the drive. Anyone...
  10. How would I delete the OS from old cloned HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How would I delete the OS from old cloned HDD?: Hello I recently upgraded my Dell inspiron 3650 to an SSD leaving me a 1TB drive to use as storage, which I did and it worked great for about 2 weeks and then i started to notice small glitches in my system until finally my Bluetooth just quit working all together. So after 4...