Windows 10: Can I delete Windows.old folder with dual clean install of W.8.1 & 10.

Discus and support Can I delete Windows.old folder with dual clean install of W.8.1 & 10. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have done clean installations of both W.8.1 & W.10 with bootable USB flash drives on partitions. Can I delete the Windows.old folder in W.10 which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robinpe, Aug 10, 2016.

1. robinpe Win User

Can I delete Windows.old folder with dual clean install of W.8.1 & 10.

I have done clean installations of both W.8.1 & W.10 with bootable USB flash drives on partitions. Can I delete the Windows.old folder in W.10 which contains 18GB of storage space?

:)

robinpe, Aug 10, 2016
  2. Drew1903 Win User

Reasons Windows 10 version upgrades fail

Rich, in a manner of speaking, you are both correct...

#1. Yes, if going onto a virgin drive the only avenue available is a 'pure' Custom Install.; does format, in so much as it readies the empty drive for use...plus choosing & sizing partitions.

#2. The other fellow is correct, a pure, true Custom Install (clean) boots from outside the drive via bootable media, such as a DVD w/ the bootable ISO on it or USB. And, again, as in #1, the selected drive IS formatted before & as part of the install process.

#3. The other approach is Upgrade and does create a windows.old folder. The distinction is the term
    In-place (or not). For example: going to Windows 10 from Win 7 or 8.1 via Upgrade is converting an OS to an OS.... one was overwritten to the other... and a windows.old folder is left behind. (over carried forward, LOL). So, technically, it
    is Upgrade vs Custom (oft called, clean). Now, when Windows 10 is (already, currently) on a machine, 2 things
    can be done, in this context:

A. The Custom Install, true 'clean', approach of #1 & #2.

B. An In-place Upgrade. It, still, uses the bootable ISO, but, can be done 'internally'. And, again, since,
    still, done as an Upgrade (albeit, of itself... as stated, must be, already, an existing OS (License) on the drive), there will be a windows.old. Mention this as has all the markings of a fresh install, but, is, actually, building on itself & therefore a
    windows.old folder (still) ensues.

A. One difference is Custom is barebones OS. All is default and no personal data or End User installed S/W.

B. In-place Upgrade requires reloading End User installed S/W. The OS retains its familiarity w/ the machine and personalizes to MS Acc't holder, as before. Personal data can be kept. The media, the ISO, is running on the OS, sourced from 'inside', booting
    from w/in the OS.

i. Upgrade from a prior OS is the same scenario as #4B.

Recap: If Upgrade choice used to install, an OS is, already, on the drive. <<OS may not necessarily be changing>> (Still an 'upgrade') Upgrade will & does leave a windows.old folder.

Custom installs will not have a windows.old folder as, there was nothing on the drive previously, no existing OS, prior or same.

That is, indeed, why Custom installs are oft called 'clean'. 'Tis the only type of install that on an empty drive, a drive location w/ no OS on it, on to an empty, blank drive. Anything else is Upgrade, even if done to an OS itself, and will produce a windows.old
    fold which, is not seen following a Custom install.

Cheers,

Drew

Can I delete Windows.old folder with dual clean install of W.8.1 & 10. [​IMG]

Drew1903, Aug 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10 deleted my data, with no warning

I'm absolutely bloody furious. Livid. I have a dual-boot setup. Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1. I've had that setup for some time, on the one drive. Today I decided to upgrade the Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10. With absolutely no warning whatsoever, nor any
    request for confirmation, the Windows 10 upgrade REMOVED my Windows 8.1 installation entirely in order to place the Windows 7 in a windows.old folder, rather than simply renaming the bloody thing. Was this REALLY completely overlooked during development of
    the upgrade assistant? That someone might be dual-booting?? I had irreplaceable data on my machine. Sitting in the user folder in that 8.1 installation. Windows 10 just went ahead and completely deleted it. Why on earth is there ZERO checks for an existing
    windows.old folder?? I'm bloody furious! Now I have to hope and pray that data recovery software can recover over 400GB of data!

Has this happened to nobody else?!

Marc Hilton, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

To remove it you have to run disk clean when it done then rescan by. Clicking system you can't delete normally as it's system files

Samuria, Aug 10, 2016
  5. AndreTen Win User
    What Samuria have said. Just don't forget to select "Clean up system files".

AndreTen, Aug 10, 2016
  6. robinpe Win User
    Thanks for that guys. What I'm a little concerned about is that when I did a clean install of W.8.1 with a bootable USB flash drive, I was very surprised to find all my apps still there, that were there before I did a free upgrade to W.10., (at least a 100.) I thought it would be like a factory reset. Is there a possibility that the present booted system is using some of the original W.8.1 installation that is in Windows.old?
    When I originally did a free upgrade to W.10, a lot of the default apps were missing. 3 different MS technicians were unable to solve the problem remotely, so they downloaded to a flash drive I inserted & I re-installed W.10. However, when I tried to go back to W.8.1, I couldn't. After MS did all the tests they had somehow fouled up this option for me, so that is when I decided to download W.8.1 installation media from the MS Windows site & do a custom install. Boy that sounds confusing to me!!
    I appreciate any recommendations or advice. Thanks.

robinpe, Aug 10, 2016
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Well it sounds confusing to me too *Smile
    Your apps could be reinstalled from Windows store, if you are signed with MS account (regarding your comment above).

To make it clear:
    - you are now on Windows 10 or 8.1?
    - you have all set up how you want (apps) and all is working fine now?

If you are on Win 10 and want to stay, then proceed with "clean drive" operation, including system files. If you want to keep Windows.old (it will go after 1 month anyway) then proceed without system files.

AndreTen, Aug 10, 2016
  8. robinpe Win User

Thanks for that AndreTen. I get confused myself, that's what happens when you get to 83!!
    75% of those apps were created from websites, not from the MS store. Although I keep a lot of websites in Favourites too.
    When my laptop opens I am given the choice of selecting either W.8.1 or W.10, I work with both frankly. Yes, I thought that the Windows.old would go after a month too, but it's been a long while after a month since I did the free upgrade to W.10.
    I now have three partitions: (C*Smile, (D*Smile, (they came with the pc) & (G*Smile which I created for W.8.1. I've had to do 2 extensions on (G*Smile due to lack of storage space. But I only realised yesterday that the Photos app syncs with 'Libraries' & not 'This PC' in File Explorer, so now I need more space on (D*Smile which is where the 'Libraries' currently is. The only place I can extract space from is (C*Smile, which is the now W.10 & also contains the Windows.old folder with the 18GB of storage. And that possibly is also confusing. These dual boots can get pretty hairy.
    Why are all these 'Smilies' coming on the 'colon' sign?

robinpe, Aug 11, 2016
  9. AndreTen Win User
    Those smileys come when you type : with ) . *Smile

So, you are dual booting 8.1 and 10. Can you post a picture of disk management here. Just to see, how you have disk organized.

Right click start button and select disk management.

AndreTen, Aug 11, 2016
  10. Ethelwulf Win User
    If this is what you are talking about

I just Deleted it 15 minutes ago

WAIT let me reboot and see what happens *Smile will update you

Ethelwulf, Aug 11, 2016
  11. Ethelwulf Win User
    Just rebooted and here i am so you are safe to delete it
    But still I recommend what the other members have told you to do

I am just crazy and delete folders and files with out even looking *Wink

Ethelwulf, Aug 11, 2016
  12. robinpe Win User

This is the 'Disk Management' dialog box.
    I did the disk cleanup & deleted the Windows.old folder for the original W.8.1 system.
    I have free space of 14.7GB in (C), (W.10)..., 32.41GB in (D),...& 21.96GB in (G), (W.8.1). I can transfer some of the storage in (D) if I need to. I need enough space in (D) for my 'Libraries' because that is what syncs my pictures to my 'Photo' app.
    Strangely, when I'm in W.10 it has changed the names of the disks to (C), (D) & (E). I don't know why. In W.8.1 it's still (G).
    Thanks a lot guys. If any of you helpful fellows can tell me how to stop the online keyboard from automatically opening up I would appreciate it. I have done everything I have read in the 'Tutorials' & elsewhere, & can't stop it opening.

robinpe, Aug 11, 2016
  13. AndreTen Win User

OK, you deleted Windows.old.

Regarding your drive letters, you can change them if you right click on disk in disk management. Select letter taht you would like to use (ie. G: ) and it will stay.

Regarding on screen keyboard, there are two possibilities: real on screen keyboard and possible keyboard for touch screen devices - tablets.

This answer on microsoft forums covers both of it.

Edit: and you will have to make D: drive larger if you want all your libraries on it. You have spare partition and one of your reserved partition is quite large.

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I delete Windows.old folder with dual clean install of W.8.1 & 10. - Similar Threads - delete old folder

2. Old folder during clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old folder during clean install: Current version Windows 11 22H2 22621.1848 Public Release non insider account.I just did a clean install back on 04 Jun 23. During install I had Windows delete all partitions off the drive on which I installed it. Today I was looking around on my C drive and noticed that...
  3. Old folder during clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old folder during clean install: Current version Windows 11 22H2 22621.1848 Public Release non insider account.I just did a clean install back on 04 Jun 23. During install I had Windows delete all partitions off the drive on which I installed it. Today I was looking around on my C drive and noticed that...
  4. Which partition can I delete during clean installation of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which partition can I delete during clean installation of Windows 10?: While doing a clean install of windows 10, I get list of partition on my hard drive. I am too much confused as to which one should I delete to get a clean install of windows 10 and it gets activated automatically. Here is a screenshot of my disk management....
  5. Old Windows folder delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old Windows folder delete: I just installed win 10 . I have 2 more drives with Win7 OS( Windows folders) in them. I am trying to delete these folders in vain. I am logged in as administrator. Any ideas?...
  6. Can I clean up windowsAPP folder ? Like delete all Folders ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I clean up windowsAPP folder ? Like delete all Folders ?: Please Look here Ashampoo(R) Web Upload 116173
  7. Can Windows (old) folder be deleted

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can Windows (old) folder be deleted: Can the "Windows (old)" folder be deleted safely? I only have a 128g ssd for my operating system, and 25gig is being taken up by a folder called Windows (old) I would like to free up some space. 22791
  8. Clean Install on 1-month old Surface Laptop

Clean Install on 1-month old Surface Laptop: Another one-month new issue [img] Santa gave me a new i7 Surface Laptop that I immediately upgraded to W10 Pro. Well, I seem to have a weekly BSD, and many suggestions online say to try a clean OS install. I do nothing on this machine that my lower spec'd Lenovo and MBP...
  9. Clean install Win 10 new ssd - can I use old SSd win 7 to dual boot

Clean install Win 10 new ssd - can I use old SSd win 7 to dual boot: Read the tutorials but still not sure....aka...confused...want to use my new SSD Win 10 Pro 64bit upgrade clean install via Brink's USB tutorial (when done setting everything up) and would like possibility to be able to dual boot with/to my old Win 7 Pro 64 SSD in same box....
  10. Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions

Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions: Hi everyone, i've upgraded from windows 8.1 with uefi bios, so basically now i can do clean install 10 without product key? But the real question is: My pc have 8 partitions, the primary one, 5 of recovery, 1 oem and 1 efi. Can i delete all partitions and create only one?...