Windows 10: Can I disconnect an internal hard drive from a two-way mirror storage pool in Storage...

Discus and support Can I disconnect an internal hard drive from a two-way mirror storage pool in Storage... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have set up a pool of two identical HD's and copied all my files to it. This means my data should be written to both physical hard drivesright?. I'd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chris Bockhahn, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Can I disconnect an internal hard drive from a two-way mirror storage pool in Storage...

I have set up a pool of two identical HD's and copied all my files to it. This means my data should be written to both physical hard drivesright?. I'd like to remove my first HD from the pool and connect it to a different pc, confirm my data is present, then unplug it and plug the other in to confirm my data is present on both. Then return them both to their home and have them resume operating properly in the two-way mirror storage pool that I already set up.

Will doing this cause any harm?

:)

Chris Bockhahn, Jan 8, 2020

2. Dual Booting with a Mirrored Storage Pool

I'm planning my new PC build and it will be a dual boot configuration with 2 SSDs as my OS drives. One will have Windows 10, and the other will have Windows 7. I also plan to use three 2TB hard drives for bulk storage. I want to pool the hard drives in Storage Spaces using Windows 10. The drives will be set up in a mirrored configuration. Can Windows 7 detect the mirrored drive pool? Thank you.

FloridaFan88, Jan 8, 2020
  3. rlmosk Win User
    Not happy with Storage Pools.

New computer and upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I created a storage pool using 2 extra hard drives. It worked fine but I was unaware that by creating this pool I would lose the independent use of my files on Drive C. My normal Library files are
    now mirrored with the 2 extra drives I used to create the storage pool. I thought my C Drive (Library-Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, and Downloads) would stay separate from the storage pool and I could just copy files to my Storage Pool and delete them
    from my C: Drive if I wanted to.

I hope I'm explaining myself sufficiently. In other words, I thought creating a Storage Pool made 2 extra hard drives into one and you could copy files from the C: Drive when you wanted. Also, be able to delete files from the C: Drive in order to not fill
    it up so much. My C: Drive is a 512 GB SS drive. My 2 extra hard drives are 3TB each standard 7200 RPM SATA hard drives.

If this is how this works, I think I would rather have my drives back the way they were. Is there a way to reverse the Storage Pool?

Thanks.

rlmosk, Jan 8, 2020
  4. rlmosk Win User

Can I disconnect an internal hard drive from a two-way mirror storage pool in Storage...

Not happy with Storage Pools.

Thanks for your reply. I already read the Storages & spaces FAQ
    before I posted this query. Maybe I still don't understand how this Storage Pool works. I do understand what you are saying about
    C: Drive. But CCan I disconnect an internal hard drive from a two-way mirror storage pool in Storage... :Drive also holds the "Library" files. These are the files I wish to delete on
    CCan I disconnect an internal hard drive from a two-way mirror storage pool in Storage... :Drive to free up space because they are now on the Storage Pool drives. The 2 extra Storage Pool drives are internal HD's in my tower. If this is the way the Storage Pool works, then I'd rather not have the Storage Pool and I'll just backup
    my Library Files (pictures, videos, music, documents) on my internal HDs. Is there a way to reverse the Storage Pool I just created?

Thanks.

rlmosk, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

Can I disconnect an internal hard drive from a two-way mirror storage pool in Storage...

1. Can I disconnect an internal hard drive from a two-way mirror storage pool in Storage... - Similar Threads - disconnect internal hard

2. Storage Pool Queries- removal of hard drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Pool Queries- removal of hard drives: Hi, Due to qty4x5bay Orico external devices, plus qty 6 single bay external drives, I will not have enough Drive Letters available from Windows 11. I am now looking at Storage Spaces, however there seems to be no easy way to remove/stop using a 5bay device as a storage space...
  3. Storage Pool Queries- removal of hard drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Pool Queries- removal of hard drives: Hi, Due to qty4x5bay Orico external devices, plus qty 6 single bay external drives, I will not have enough Drive Letters available from Windows 11. I am now looking at Storage Spaces, however there seems to be no easy way to remove/stop using a 5bay device as a storage pool...
  4. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage pool failed drive: Hello everyone,I recently combined two hard drives that I own to a storage pool, one being an internal drive and the other a portable external hard drive I know silly move. The portable drive is now toasted and I've had a professional look at it with it not being saved. I...
  5. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage pool failed drive: Hello everyone,I recently combined two hard drives that I own to a storage pool, one being an internal drive and the other a portable external hard drive I know silly move. The portable drive is now toasted and I've had a professional look at it with it not being saved. I...
  6. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Storage Pool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Pool: My Asus VivoBook recently ran out of storage space so I have been using an external hard drive to store everything. Yet my laptop progessed into no disc space and wasn't responding to basic functions like the use of Microsoft Word. I decided to create a storage pool to allow...
  8. Adding a Hard Drive to storage pool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding a Hard Drive to storage pool: Trying to add internal hard to storage pool but keep getting error 0x00000005 or "need to close all applications that are open that are connected to that drive. How do I find out what applications need to be closed...
  9. Hard Drive Storage Pool (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Storage Pool (Windows 10): Hi I have a storage pool set up on my Windows 10 PC The storage pool is a total of 6.5TB at the moment with 2.7TB of Data on it I'm getting the Warning "Low Capacity" add another drive When looking into it, when I set the drives up I set them to "Parity" which...
  10. Dual Booting with a Mirrored Storage Pool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Booting with a Mirrored Storage Pool: I'm planning my new PC build and it will be a dual boot configuration with 2 SSDs as my OS drives. One will have Windows 10, and the other will have Windows 7. I also plan to use three 2TB hard drives for bulk storage. I want to pool the hard drives in Storage Spaces using...