Windows 10: Can I DNS / route via my remote desktop?

Discus and support Can I DNS / route via my remote desktop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I connect to a VPN, then my PC at work. My work PC is on a LAN which has a firewall which restricts access to websites (e.g. a CRM) to devices on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/lewisj489, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Can I DNS / route via my remote desktop?

So I connect to a VPN, then my PC at work. My work PC is on a LAN which has a firewall which restricts access to websites (e.g. a CRM) to devices on the LAN.

Is there a way to route via my work PC? Meaning I can access websites as if I am my work PC on my home PC. IT doesn't want to set up routes to my home IP (Even though they did for DB access )

Thanks !

submitted by /u/lewisj489
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/lewisj489, Apr 16, 2020

2. remote desktop

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the below details to understand your issue in a better way:

1. Are you using the Microsoft remote desktop app?

If you are using the Microsoft remote desktop app downloaded from
    Microsoft store then, I suggest you to follow the steps to
    fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store

If the issue still persists with the Microsoft remote desktop app, then you can contact the support team by going to the

link
    and scrolling down to the bottom and clicking on
    Microsoft remote desktop support under the Publisher info.

However, if you are using the Remote desktop connection, which comes pre-installed with Windows 10, then I suggest you to please post your question in the
    TechNet forum.

Hope it helps.

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Apr 16, 2020
  3. Remote Desktop

Okay guys need some help here before going crazy...
    I am trying to setup a remote desktop connection and see exactly what the logged on user is looking at with out going through Windows Remote Desktop.

Since its local network I don't have any password or want to setup a password.

Any suggestions are appreciated

kikicoco1334, Apr 16, 2020
  4. DeFacto Win User

Can I DNS / route via my remote desktop?

Route to the remote station with win route table

Hello,

I have three pc's:
    - Local PC with an ip 192.168.1.100
    - Remote PC_1 with an ip 192.168.2.100
    - Remote PC_2 with an ip 192.168.2.101
    I would like to access remote pc_2 via remote pc_1. On the local pc and remote pc_1 i have enabled routing in the registry. Windows ip configuration shows as follow:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : (PC name)
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    I have installed teamviewer on local pc and remote pc_1 and a vpn adapters of the teamviewer and established vpn connection betwean local pc and remote pc_1.
    On the local pc i have added a route to the route table:
    route add 192.168.2.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 (ip of the teamviewer vpn of the remote pc)
    Route was added successfully, i have route in the route table:
    Active Routes:
    Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
    192.168.6.0 255.255.255.0 (remote vpn ip) (local vpn ip) 56
    Now from the local pc i can ping to the address 192.168.2.100:
    C:\Windows\system32>ping 192.168.6.253

Pinging 192.168.2.100 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.2.100: bytes=32 time=238ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.2.100: bytes=32 time=107ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.2.100: bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.2.100: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.100:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 107ms, Maximum = 238ms, Average = 144ms
    I can also ping succesfully from the remote pc_1 to the remote pc_2, but when i try to ping from local pc to remote pc_2 - all packets are lost. Any help is highly appreaciated.
    Local pc is Windows 10 pro 1909 OS ver 19363.628. Firewalls, antivirus were temporary disabled while i did tests.

DeFacto, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

Can I DNS / route via my remote desktop?

1. Can I DNS / route via my remote desktop? - Similar Threads - DNS route via

2. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  3. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  4. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  5. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  6. My Employer can access my computer via Azure Remote Desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Employer can access my computer via Azure Remote Desktop?: I am working in a remote job where they installed us microsoft azure remote desktop in our personal computers. Can the company access/record what i do on my personal computer or only in the remote desktop. Thanks in advance....
  7. My Employer can access my computer via Azure Remote Desktop?

My Employer can access my computer via Azure Remote Desktop?: I am working in a remote job where they installed us microsoft azure remote desktop in our personal computers. Can the company access/record what i do on my personal computer or only in the remote desktop. Thanks in advance....
  8. Can not login to my remote desktop windows 10 pro via ipad

Can not login to my remote desktop windows 10 pro via ipad: Hi, I have good experience using remote desktop on my laptop to login on my HP workstation win10 pro, but for some reason i can not logon via my Ipad nor my iphone. I already changed the parameter for the network authentification, but no change, still got the message "the...
  9. Cannot remote into machines via the Remote Desktop App

Cannot remote into machines via the Remote Desktop App: As of no earlier than 2021-01-13 I can no longer remote into the various servers I work with via the Remote Desktop app in Windows 10. The process starts, a screen that has a message that reads "Configuring remote PC..." comes up and stays there for 1-3 minutes. The whole...
  10. Route to the remote station with win route table

Route to the remote station with win route table: Hello, I have three pc's: - Local PC with an ip 192.168.1.100 - Remote PC_1 with an ip 192.168.2.100 - Remote PC_2 with an ip 192.168.2.101 I would like to access remote pc_2 via remote pc_1. On the local pc and remote pc_1 i have enabled routing in the registry. Windows ip...