Windows 10: Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ?

Discus and support Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; By the PC Hardware and product ID "product ID" ? (It's a custom built PC) Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Marron, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Marron Win User

Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ?

"product ID" ? (It's a custom built PC)

Marron, Aug 11, 2015
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 scans the various components of your computer such as motherboard and cpu and calculates a hardware ID based off what it finds. It does this every times it starts. If none of the major hardware has changed, the hardware ID will be the same and Windows will stay activated. The activation based upon that hardware ID is also stored on Microsoft servers. On a clean install, Windows 10 will calculate the same hardware ID because the hardware is the same. Since it is not activated it looks on the Microsoft activation servers for the previously stored activation based on that hardware ID and if it finds the previous activation it will activate.

Either an upgrade install or the manual entry of a retail product key for Windows 10 will allow it to activate initially and store that activation on Microsoft activation servers for future activations of the same hardware. You change the motherboard - Windows 10 starts and calculates a different hardware ID than what it did before - it deactivates and looks for the new hardware ID on the Microsoft activation servers. It doesn't find it so it won't activate until you call Microsoft and explain what happened and they allow the new hardware ID to be stored on the activation server and you get activated.

Every computer will produce a unique hardware ID because of the unique serial numbers and MAC addresses of motherboards, CPUs and network adapters that Windows 10 can read.

NavyLCDR, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Kyhi Win User
    The Answer is YES, you can keep your activation and do a clean install, as long as the prior activated build was 10240

Thema:

Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ?

1. Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ? - Similar Threads - clean install keep

2. Can I Clean Install Windows 10 Using Digital License.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I Clean Install Windows 10 Using Digital License.: Hi all,I have W10 20H2 but having major trouble with it. I am seriously considering a format and clean install but am worried because I qualified for the upgrade from W7 OEM and it loaded on top. I have done a reset due to trouble which has not helped.My windows license is...
  3. How do I keep my PC clean?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I keep my PC clean?: I just reinstalled Windows 10 and I am as old as dirt. So, I really would not like to have to do that again until I am 80 years old. How can I keep my PC clean without damaging it? I use disc cleanup, which is fine, but is that enough? I had been using CCleaner, but my...
  4. Installing Windows on new Hard drive-Do I keep my license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows on new Hard drive-Do I keep my license?: Hi My hard drive failed and I was wondering if I install a new drive and load fresh Windows, do I keep my license? At present I use a digital license. Also I'm NOT changing the motherboard. I have no recovery disc or anything, it would be a clean, fresh install. Thank...
  5. Digital License on clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Digital License on clean install: I purchased W7 "upgrade from Vista" CD years ago, and then upgraded to 10 no problem when it came out. I have actually formatted since then but don't really remember how I activated it, if I used the W7 product key or what. This was all on one machine. Now that machine is...
  6. Clean installs and licensing

Clean installs and licensing: Im about to do a clean install of windows 10 as a last resort to possible clear up some issues i have been having are there any percautions i need to take? ill be using a product key from windows 7 pro 36226
  7. Win 10 Update OK. Now can I clean install?

Win 10 Update OK. Now can I clean install?: Hello. As the title says. I have successfully updated my PC from Win 8.1 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Pro 64bit and managed to activate it. I have downloaded the ISO via Media Builder. Now I have upgraded AND activated, can I do a clean install? I.E. Format my HDD and install from...
  8. Reserved and Upgraded from W8.1, can I Clean install now?

Reserved and Upgraded from W8.1, can I Clean install now?: Hi I have Windows 10 now, Reservation and Upgrading ran smoothly, I want to clean install now formatting HDD, Will it ask me for a product key, or will the fresh Windows 10 be activated even after formatting with no key, have anyone tried this? Thanks! 9680
  9. Clean install now?

Clean install now?: My system (W7 64) is badly in need of a clean install but I was waiting until next month to do it with W10. However, it is quickly becoming unusable so I am wondering about doing it immediately - with the preview (I already use preview W10 on my laptop). However, the FAQ...
  10. should i now clean install

should i now clean install: evening guys, question for you all am using 10240 as an insider should I now do a clean install or just leave it running as it is , only with all the downloads and updates since day 1 i,ve accumulated 86gb used on my hard drive out of 234gb if so what product key do I use...