Windows 10: Can I downgrade to windows 8.1 and later upgrade again to windows 10?

Discus and support Can I downgrade to windows 8.1 and later upgrade again to windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone *Smile Forgive me if this is the wrong section to ask this, or if this has already been asked, because after searching for quite a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by shivam, Jan 30, 2016.

1. shivam Win User

Can I downgrade to windows 8.1 and later upgrade again to windows 10?

Hello everyone *Smile
    Forgive me if this is the wrong section to ask this, or if this has already been asked, because after searching for quite a while, I couldn't find any satisfactory answer.

I am using HP 15-ab031tx notebook, and it came with windows 8.1 single language. I upgraded to windows 10 single language on 11th Feb, and though it's awesome, for now I would like to roll back to win 8.1. But I would like to upgrade again later.
    Can I do that?
    If yes, can I do that after July 29?

Also, will it help if I use the media creation tool to create a windows 10 DVD and later use it for installation? Will the windows in the created DVD be activated automatically upon installation?
    Will Microsoft 'remember' that I had once upgraded during the free upgrade period, so that makes me eligible for an upgrade again?

media creation tool - Windows 10
    EDIT: I upgraded on Jan 11th

:)

shivam, Jan 30, 2016

2. Windows 10 downgrade to 8.1 and then upgrade to 10

Hey. So question is. If i upgraded to 10, and then i will downgrade to 8.1, can i upgrade later on again to 10?

1nterfector, Jan 30, 2016
  3. Upgrade, Downgrade, Re-Upgrade information in Windows 10?

I have windows 8.1.

If I decide to upgrade to windows 10 and it doesn't work because of bugs in the system can I downgrade back to windows 8.1 and then upgrade at a later time when the bugs are worked out?

Has anyone tried?

Thank you in advance Can I downgrade to windows 8.1 and later upgrade again to windows 10? :)

Changing the title

Old title – Upgrade, Downgrade, Re-Upgrade?

New title- Upgrade, Downgrade, Re-Upgrade information in Windows 10?

SkippingStone94, Jan 30, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Feb 11th ?
    Win 10 RTM did not come into being until July 29th, 2015.
    Before that, we only had Windows Technical Previews which later renamed to Insider Previews.

Sure you have the date right ?

davidhk, Jan 30, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    shivam,

As long as you actually upgraded to Windows 10 sometime after July 29, 2015, the answer to all your questions is yes.

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    I beg to differ.
    1. The OP's first question is if it is possible to roll back to Win 8.1
    Depending on how the OP defines the term " roll back".
    If the OP meant using the built-in Go Back to Windows 8.1 option in the Settings, then it depends on............
    If the OP had the Win 10 installed less than 30 days ago, and that the windows.old has not be deleted.
    Otherwise, the OP can not roll back to Win 10 without reinstalling Win 8.1 with an installation media and a valid product key.
    That is why I asked about the "Feb 11th" date.

2. The OP said " If yes, can I do that after July 29?"
    I assume The OP meant after July 29th 2016.
    The answer will be NO, not unless the OP is willing to purchase a Win 10 licence. There will be no more free upgrade after July 29th 2016.

davidhk, Jan 30, 2016
  7. shivam Win User
    Sorry, I have edited the post

shivam, Jan 30, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You are welcome to beg to differ.

1. You are correct. It does depend on the OP's definition of "roll back".

2. Microsoft has stated that once a device has been upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period that it would remain eligible for free upgrade for the life of that device. So you are begging to differ with Microsoft, not me.

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2016
  9. shivam Win User
    Thanks for the reply. That does make sense.
    Yeah by rollback I meant going back within 30 days.
    But then what's the use of the media creation tool? Is it just to create a media with an unlicensed copy of windows?

shivam, Jan 30, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    OK. Thank you.
    In that case you can revert back to Win 8.1 provided you have not deleted the windows.old from your C drive.
    Left click at Start button > left side, click Settings > select Update & Security > left side, click Recovery > right side, under Go back to Windows 8.1, click the Get started button > just follow the prompt from then on.

As to installing Windows 10 after July 29th, 2016........
    My understanding is, once you go back to Windows 8.1, you are no longer considered to have Win 10 installed in the past.
    If you want Win 10 again after July 29th 2016, you will have to buy a Win 10 licence.

davidhk, Jan 30, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Your understanding is incorrect. Going back to Windows 8.1 does not erase the digital entitlement on Microsoft activation servers. On the activation page of settings -> updates & security if the computer was an upgrade, it will show the activation type as digital entitlement. The digital entitlement for Windows 10 for that computer is permanently stored on Microsoft activation servers and re-installing Windows 8 does not erase it.

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2016
  12. shivam Win User
    Thanks for the reply
    That really would be so relieving if that was true!
    Can you provide a link or something that confirms this? Sorry if I am asking a lot

shivam, Jan 30, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

The Media Creation Tool is used to one of the followings:
    1. Download the ISO file.
    2. Install Windows 10.

The key point is not about downloading and installing Windows 10, the key point is whether or how to activate it.
    If you do that before July 29th, you can use your Win 8.1 key to activate.
    If you do that after July 29th, the Win 8.1 key is no good for activation.

davidhk, Jan 30, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    The purpose of the media creation tool is to create a Windows 10 installation media that allow you to clean install Windows 10 later if you want to.

Correct. After July 29th the Windows 8.1 key will not be good for free Windows 10 activation. Windows 10 will activate by retrieving the digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers that was stored there during the first upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    I disagree.
    Sorry.

davidhk, Jan 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Can I downgrade to windows 8.1 and later upgrade again to windows 10? - Similar Threads - downgrade later upgrade

2. can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free: can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-windows-8-to-windows-10-for-free/fcbe425a-6e79-41bb-9100-5b9d444f5534
  3. can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free: can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-windows-8-to-windows-10-for-free/fcbe425a-6e79-41bb-9100-5b9d444f5534
  4. Can I downgrade Windows 10 to 8 for free

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I downgrade Windows 10 to 8 for free: Hi,My PC was factory shipped with Windows 7 ultimate, later upgraded to Windows 10 ProWell, Windows 8 was never installed on my PC but when I was searching online, I found that Windows 10 Pro OEM can be downgraded to Windows 8 Pro / Windows 7 ProI want to confirm can I...
  5. Downgrading to windows 8

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Downgrading to windows 8: I'm considering downgrading to win 8 because I had enough of win 10 updates. I'm sick and tired of it messing up my work. I'm a structural engineering student who has lots of projects, online lectures etc. I tried disabling updates guides and nothing works. I literally set...
  6. downgrading to Windows 8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    downgrading to Windows 8: I want to downgrade my PC from Windows 10 to Windows 8 which was installed on my PC before. But I upgraded to Windows 10 about a year ago and cannot roll back easily. I found out that I have to restore the computer to the original state. I pressed Troubleshoot and then Reset...
  7. Can I downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 8?

Can I downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 8?: Is it possible to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 8? I've never had Windows 8 installed on my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-downgrade-from-windows-10-to-windows-8/d7e8c5b8-3240-4f70-813c-65d0e6cd4ca5
  8. Can I downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 8?

Can I downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 8?: Windows 8 does everything I need on my older computer. I don't like all the excess bloat of Windows 10 that came with my newer computer. Also Windows 10 had an error, and despite doing everything a Microsoft chat person told me earlier today, I still couldn't get it to...
  9. downgrading to windows 8

downgrading to windows 8: I want to downgrade to windows 8 from windows 10. Ive never had windows 8. I recently bought windows 10 for 180 dollars. and windows 10 is such a pain with the automatic screen resolution changes. I bought a new gaming monitor. whenever I restart my computer or come out of...
  10. can i upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free?

in Windows 10 Customization
    can i upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free?: can i upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/can-i-upgrade-windows-8-to-windows-10-for-free/4a634a0a-4e9e-4db7-912b-c7b736d86f30