Windows 10: Can I duplicate Windows 10 Files to move the Disk it's on?

Discus and support Can I duplicate Windows 10 Files to move the Disk it's on? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I just installed a new SSD, and am wanting to move my Windows 10 installation to it. Windows is currently on my HDD (2TB 5400RPM) and is, as you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/APartTimeHuman, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Can I duplicate Windows 10 Files to move the Disk it's on?

So I just installed a new SSD, and am wanting to move my Windows 10 installation to it. Windows is currently on my HDD (2TB 5400RPM) and is, as you would expect, pretty slow.

The solution that I've seen (that I understand) is a clean install, but that involves getting everything else uninstalled, and I'd rather not reinstall 1.4TB of stuff again.

I was thinking I could duplicate the files onto the SSD, but I didn't want to do something that could potentially mess up everything.

submitted by /u/APartTimeHuman
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/APartTimeHuman, Sep 6, 2020

2. After running CCleaner duplicates files are found on Windows 10

Hi Tom,

As you are facing issues with the duplicate files loaded on your computer, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know if you were able to find which are the duplicate files created on your computer?

There might be a virus infection causing the duplicate copies of the files. Let us try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to free up the disk space on your device and check if it helps.

Refer: Free up drive space in Windows 10

Step 2: Perform Disk Cleanup.

Cleaning out your PC on a regular basis frees up drive space and helps it run better. One of the easiest ways to clean up files you no longer need is by using Disk Cleanup.

• Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type
      Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, select Disk Cleanup.
    • If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then select
      OK.
    • In the Disk Cleanup dialog box in the Description section, select
      Clean up system files.
    • If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then select
      OK.
    • In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, select the check boxes for the file types that you want to delete, and then select
      OK. To remove data from a previous installation of Windows, select the
      Previous Windows installation(s) check box.
    • In the message that appears, select Delete files.
    • Go back to Computer in File Explorer, select the drive you cleaned up, and then select
      Refresh. If you need to free more space (the drive is still marked red), go to the next tip.

Step 3: I suggest you to run a full system virus scan.

Protect your PC

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of duplicate files for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 6, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 6, 2020
  4. Can I duplicate Windows 10 Files to move the Disk it's on?

How to remove duplicate files in Windows 10.

Thank you for the suggestion. I need to see a list of duplicate files and select those I want to eliminate. Does the program you suggested compare file content or do they simply point out duplicate
    file names?

SteveWahlstrom, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

Can I duplicate Windows 10 Files to move the Disk it's on?

1. Can I duplicate Windows 10 Files to move the Disk it's on? - Similar Threads - duplicate Files move

2. can i delete these files or move them to another disk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can i delete these files or move them to another disk?: can i delete the 8 files that are taking up most of the space? to move them to diskC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-these-files-or-move-them-to-another/2e542a31-e99d-4cac-a7aa-99f739e3336b
  3. can i delete these files or move them to another disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i delete these files or move them to another disk?: can i delete the 8 files that are taking up most of the space? to move them to diskC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-these-files-or-move-them-to-another/2e542a31-e99d-4cac-a7aa-99f739e3336b
  4. can i delete these files or move them to another disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I move .etl files to a different disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I move .etl files to a different disk?: I have 2 ssd disks on my machine, one is small, the other is large. The small disk is where the OS and program files are. It also houses the .etl file, which is taking a lot of space. I've moved some of my personal files to the large disk, but can I move the .etl file into...
  6. Can I move .etl files to a different disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I move .etl files to a different disk?: I have 2 ssd disks on my machine, one is small, the other is large. The small disk is where the OS and program files are. It also houses the .etl file, which is taking a lot of space. I've moved some of my personal files to the large disk, but can I move the .etl file into...
  7. Can I move .etl files to a different disk?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10: When copying files from one folder to another, the OS always warns if there is another folder or file with the same name. It is one of the prominent features of File Explorer, which makes sure the same files are not overwritten without consent. In case you are not receiving...
  9. Find & Move Duplicate Files

Find & Move Duplicate Files: Files are in multiple folders on multiple external hard disk drives, 25x5 TB = 125 TB Tried, ABC Compare, & Anti Twin, Software but doesn’t work over multiple HDD's, only searches one drive. Someone said may need to plug all 25 external drives into PC and set up a raid...
  10. How Can I find duplicated files in my hard disk?

How Can I find duplicated files in my hard disk?: It is as simple as that. Sometimes I have duplicated files like ppt, doc or even PDF According to Microsoft customer service there is one third party, and I should ask here in the MSF community. Please let me know. Cheers.......