Windows 10: Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement...

Discus and support Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; 2 of the 4 USB ports on the front of my Windows 10 HP EliteDesk 800 G1computer and 1 on the back will recognize that I've just plugged something in by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jeff A. Davis, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement...

2 of the 4 USB ports on the front of my Windows 10 HP EliteDesk 800 G1computer and 1 on the back will recognize that I've just plugged something in by making a bell noise but then they don't connect the device that I've just plugged in & have it show up in File Explorer. I've had to put a piece of masking tape over those ports so that I'll never try to use them. Is there anything that I can do, or is it just probably a physical issue & they're broken?2 of them are the faster USB 3.0 ports and 1 is a USB 2.0 port.I'm sure no technical expert and even replacing them isn't something

:)

Jeff A. Davis, Oct 29, 2022
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement... [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement... [​IMG]

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Oct 29, 2022
  3. USB ports stopped working

Nope, no yellow alerts or missing drivers. One of the 3 ports continues to work properly.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The seller is sending me a free replacement. Thanks for all the suggestions, y'all!

ButterFace, Oct 29, 2022
  4. 95Viper Win User

Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement...

USB ports not working properly

If, you haven't, you may want to install the chipset drivers. Here, under the "optional downloads" tab, "South Bridge Driver".

Also, that external drive... is it powered by a power supply or the hub?
    If it is powered by (an internal or an external) independent power supply; try un-plugging usb cable from the computer usb port. Turn it on and let it power cycle on, then, plug it into the usb port.

If it is hub powered, it may be the port being not able to supply the correct current for the drive using usb 2.0.

If it is a usb 3.0 drive that is hub powered, then the above may be the problem, if you are trying to use a usb 2.0 port to power it, as usb 2.0 spec is to supply 100mA max to a unit, which, may request up to five units for a total of 500mA; where as, usb 3.0 (with the correct cable) will supply 150mA per unit, which, may request up to six units for a total of 900mA max.

You can, also, try this: Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows from Welcome to the Fix it Solution Center
    Find automated solutions for your issues.

95Viper, Oct 29, 2022
Thema:

Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement...

1. Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement... - Similar Threads - easily try fix

2. usb port not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb port not working properly: i accidentally end the task of windows explorer then my screen went black, then i forced restart my laptop after that my mouse is not working, like it lightning up but not working internally...
  3. usb port not working properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb port not working properly: i accidentally end the task of windows explorer then my screen went black, then i forced restart my laptop after that my mouse is not working, like it lightning up but not working internally...
  4. Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement...: 2 of the 4 USB ports on the front of my Windows 10 HP EliteDesk 800 G1computer and 1 on the back will recognize that I've just plugged something in by making a bell noise but then they don't connect the device that I've just plugged in & have it show up in File Explorer. I've...
  5. Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I easily try to fix a few USB ports that don't seem to work properly or is replacement...: 2 of the 4 USB ports on the front of my Windows 10 HP EliteDesk 800 G1computer and 1 on the back will recognize that I've just plugged something in by making a bell noise but then they don't connect the device that I've just plugged in & have it show up in File Explorer. I've...
  6. USB Ports not working properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB Ports not working properly: Hi,I having issues with the USB ports of my computerCertain USB ports straight up don't work with certain devices like with my keyboard and USB headphones.They don't even show up on device manager, but they seems to work with Mass USB storage devices.Any help will be gladly...
  7. USB Ports not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Ports not working properly: Hi,I having issues with the USB ports of my computerCertain USB ports straight up don't work with certain devices like with my keyboard and USB headphones.They don't even show up on device manager, but they seems to work with Mass USB storage devices.Any help will be gladly...
  8. USB Ports not working properly

9. USB ports not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB ports not working properly: Whenever I connect my external wired USB mouse to the port, its optical sensor lights up for a short moment and turns off completely. Same with all other USB devices. It is like the computer is cutting off the USB port connection whenever I plug something. Does anyone have...
  10. USB ports not working properly

USB ports not working properly: Whenever I connect my external wired USB mouse to the port, its optical sensor lights up for a short moment and turns off completely. Same with all other USB devices. It is like the computer is cutting off the USB port connection whenever I plug something. Does anyone have...