Windows 10: Can I encrypt Windows 10 Home tpm not usable, pcr7 unsupported, Hardwa

Discus and support Can I encrypt Windows 10 Home tpm not usable, pcr7 unsupported, Hardwa in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I never really knew what encryption was until recently getting the files off my crashed drive... There should be a screaming banner when you install... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by killbill1231, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Can I encrypt Windows 10 Home tpm not usable, pcr7 unsupported, Hardwa

I never really knew what encryption was until recently getting the files off my crashed drive... There should be a screaming banner when you install windows while it makes you set up a password that says: BTW anyone can just unplug your drive and get everything off of it, or just use a few simple keystrokes on boot to access everything without the password, lol.

when I checked my hardware requirements as instructed here:
    How to enable device encryption on Windows 10 Home | Windows Central

I see: "Reasons for failed automatic device encryption tpm is not usable, pcr7 binding is not supported, Hardware security not usable"

motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-HD3 Rev 2.0
    GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 2.0) Overview | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
    "Along the southern edge of the board, where we usually see a Trusted Platform Module header, Gigabyte has chosen to supply both serial and parallel port headers."
    Gigabyte's Z97-HD3 motherboard reviewed - The Tech Report

i7-4790K Socket H3 LGA-1150
    GTX-1050-Ti 4GB GPU
    I'm not overclocking CPU or GPU

I don't want to use One Drive or a Microsoft account if that'll enable encryption (something about Home users are more likely to lock themselves out of their computer and having it encrypted makes them loose everything but maybe even if getting the non-requirement I'm seeing if you add the encryption key to One Drive or maybe a MS account it'll let you encrypt, but I don't want One Drive nor an MS account. I don't want to mess with BIOS or anything either not have to plug a USB stick with encryption every bootup. I'd prefer to buy a new motherboard or windows 10 Pro if that'll allow encryption.

I bought Windows 10 home just a few weeks ago because my windows 8.1 drive crashed.

I also have two 1TB Western Digital Passport external drives as back ups. They require password to access, as far as I know, (I've tried all folders/options it shows before you can enter the password and there's not data there) but who knows with these things now, maybe I should encrypt them too if possible?

Without this getting too confusing, because I don't want workarounds, maybe even omitting upgrading 10 Home to 10 Pro if possible for a cheaper price than a full 10 Pro, I'd rather spend like $150 for Windows 10 Pro, is that the easiest option, or a different motherboard and can at least sell this one?
    I can't return this USB version Windows 10 Home to newegg now that I activated it, I didn't make any Microsoft or One Drive accounts with it either so maybe I can just sell it on ebay with the key?

thanks.

:)

killbill1231, Mar 23, 2021

2. Can I encrypt Windows 10 Home tpm not usable, pcr7 unsupported, Hardwa

I never really knew what encryption was until recently getting the files off my crashed drive... There should be a screaming banner when you install windows while it makes you set up a password that says: BTW anyone can just unplug your drive and get everything off of it, or just use a few simple keystrokes on boot to access everything without the password, lol.

when I checked my hardware requirements as instructed here:
    How to enable device encryption on Windows 10 Home | Windows Central

I see: "Reasons for failed automatic device encryption tpm is not usable, pcr7 binding is not supported, Hardware security not usable"

motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-HD3 Rev 2.0
    GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 2.0) Overview | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
    "Along the southern edge of the board, where we usually see a Trusted Platform Module header, Gigabyte has chosen to supply both serial and parallel port headers."
    Gigabyte's Z97-HD3 motherboard reviewed - The Tech Report

i7-4790K Socket H3 LGA-1150
    GTX-1050-Ti 4GB GPU
    I'm not overclocking CPU or GPU

I don't want to use One Drive or a Microsoft account if that'll enable encryption (something about Home users are more likely to lock themselves out of their computer and having it encrypted makes them loose everything but maybe even if getting the non-requirement I'm seeing if you add the encryption key to One Drive or maybe a MS account it'll let you encrypt, but I don't want One Drive nor an MS account. I don't want to mess with BIOS or anything either not have to plug a USB stick with encryption every bootup. I'd prefer to buy a new motherboard or windows 10 Pro if that'll allow encryption.

I bought Windows 10 home just a few weeks ago because my windows 8.1 drive crashed.

I also have two 1TB Western Digital Passport external drives as back ups. They require password to access, as far as I know, (I've tried all folders/options it shows before you can enter the password and there's not data there) but who knows with these things now, maybe I should encrypt them too if possible?

Without this getting too confusing, because I don't want workarounds, maybe even omitting upgrading 10 Home to 10 Pro if possible for a cheaper price than a full 10 Pro, I'd rather spend like $150 for Windows 10 Pro, is that the easiest option, or a different motherboard and can at least sell this one?
    I can't return this USB version Windows 10 Home to newegg now that I activated it, I didn't make any Microsoft or One Drive accounts with it either so maybe I can just sell it on ebay with the key?

thanks.

killbill1231, Mar 23, 2021
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows 10 devices now requires hardware encryption/TPM

Stolen from Sweclockers, but it's in swedish.

So from now on devices (OEM built) needs a TPM module. Relevant bit:

Pretty interesting, but there's tons of questions I guess. I don't actually now anything about how TPM works, just that it's hardware, meaning the key is stored in a physical chip and that the decryption has to run through this chip. But I have no idea how let's say biometrics is tied to this. Or what the implications will be, or what exactly is encrypted. The entire storage or just the log in details as such?

Frick, Mar 23, 2021
  4. Kursah Win User

Can I encrypt Windows 10 Home tpm not usable, pcr7 unsupported, Hardwa

Windows 10 devices now requires hardware encryption/TPM

I think pushing TPM requirements is a good thing, this should've been done years ago...why folks wouldn't want to use it is beyond me. For many industries where encryption is required, TPM has been required for years...and supporting 2.0+ standards is the obvious way to go.

We deploy A LOT of devices in the medical industry where TPM and active encryption are required, honestly @Solaris17 has TPM pretty well covered. It really is a good thing to be supportive of when deploying encrypted devices on a professional level and a personal level, how important is your data?

For those that might need a little more understanding for what TPM can provide, take a quick read:

Page not found | Trusted Computing Group

Windows Trusted Platform Module Management Step-by-Step Guide

http://www.howtogeek.com/237232/what-is-a-tpm-and-why-does-windows-need-one-for-disk-encryption/

Not saying software-only solutions are better or worse, but in my experience, TPM works very well, if its there, and you know how to use it right, then why not use it? Some situations where TPM is not available or supported by the provided encryption solution means sure don't use it, and requires another solution like a USB key...something you need not lose. Make your footprint small and make yourself seem like you're not worth the effort of breaking the encryption to access your data. This topic could really expand out into great depth in a hurry...

Kursah, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

Can I encrypt Windows 10 Home tpm not usable, pcr7 unsupported, Hardwa

1. Can I encrypt Windows 10 Home tpm not usable, pcr7 unsupported, Hardwa - Similar Threads - encrypt Home tpm

2. can i install windows 10 on an unsupported cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i install windows 10 on an unsupported cpu: i have an intel pentium d and want to install windows 10/11 on it the only problem is that it doesnt have prefechw for win10 and prefechw and tpm 2.0 for 11is there any way i can install win10 64x on it it matches all requirements exept that...
  3. can i install windows 10 on an unsupported cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i install windows 10 on an unsupported cpu: i have an intel pentium d and want to install windows 10/11 on it the only problem is that it doesnt have prefechw for win10 and prefechw and tpm 2.0 for 11is there any way i can install win10 64x on it it matches all requirements exept that...
  4. i want to use windows 11 with unsupported tpm

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i want to use windows 11 with unsupported tpm: i want to use windows 11 but i have tpm verion 1.2 which doesn't currently meets the minimum requirement of windows 11 but i have all other requirements such as storage ram etc. so how can i use windows 11 on this pc?...
  5. i want to use windows 11 with unsupported tpm

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i want to use windows 11 with unsupported tpm: i want to use windows 11 but i have tpm verion 1.2 which doesn't currently meets the minimum requirement of windows 11 but i have all other requirements such as storage ram etc. so how can i use windows 11 on this pc?...
  6. TPM is not usable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    TPM is not usable: How to fix this!!!I have a tpm in my laptop i reinstall windows 10 v1507.then in Get Started i stuck on the Express Setting so i reset it then it work but the tpm is gone not usable how to fix this...
  7. Device standard encryption - PCR7 binding issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Device standard encryption - PCR7 binding issue: I've windows 10 Home edition, build 19042. I want to encrypt my drives, but in system information, under encryption support, this message is shown: Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test...
  8. Can I encrypt Windows 10 Home tpm not usable, pcr7 unsupported, Hardwa

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I encrypt Windows 10 Home tpm not usable, pcr7 unsupported, Hardwa: I never really knew what encryption was until recently getting the files off my crashed drive... There should be a screaming banner when you install windows while it makes you set up a password that says: BTW anyone can just unplug your drive and get everything off of it, or...
  9. TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed...: I was trying to fix my latency problems, for the last year, and even tough I tried everything posted by Igor Leyko, very helpful, nothing helps. Here's screenshots on Google Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EaD9q4kCSz5QbZsT6 But, while looking at the System Information...
  10. PCR7

in Windows 10 Customization
    PCR7: What is PCR7 elevation and do I need it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pcr7/9ffaebcc-0ffa-4844-8841-83b0fff93a37